Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Switzerland

bluerallye

bluerallye

VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Morning,

Has anybody ever done Switzerland before? Looking at our summer trip for '18 out to Como but would like to come back through Switzerland (roughly head NW on the major E roads (2/35) towards Lucerne and out across the border through Basel sort of area.

I'm aware of the legalities, vignettes etc. but i was just wondering if anybody on here has done it in a loaded T4 and if the main E roads are easy enough in the vans* and / or what some of the non-motorway roads are like as the motorways may be a bit monotonous (e.g. Gotthard Pass vs. Gotthard Tunnel)

*Westy 2.5 AAF auto.

TIA

Alex

Last edited:
I always do the Gotthard Pass instead of the tunnel unless it's closed. A couple of nice wild camping spots awards the southern end too. Don't remember ever having issues with any roads there. Does your T4 struggle with steep hills when loaded?

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I wouldn’t say it struggles, I use it round the north of U.K., Dales, Lakes etc and just keep the auto box limited to third on the ups to save uneccesary cog swapping. Not the fastest but not struggling by any means, but Swiss roads I expect are a bit different in length and altitude. Then there’s the long descents too. Again never struggled in U.K. but I’m sure the Swiss passes in the summer gradually get the brakes hot and auto boxes are crap at engine braking!

Had a good look on google street view and seem to be enough options to stop on way up/down so may be ok.

Simplon pass was great for us. Nice views but not scary, great quality road, no queues, free and delivered us right to L. Maggiore - the start of our Italian holiday, and for us the most stunning of the lakes. We came back by Mont Blanc tunnel with 1 hour wait time, but what a nightare queue coming from France into Italy (on a Saturday afternoon in August). Avoid.

Agreed with Simplon - not too steep at all & the view are great.

I’ve been three of the last four years and have chosen different routes each time - we go last week of Sept / first week of Oct though & I’d imagine it’s Hell in August holidays!

Excellent! Just the sort of tips I was after. Thanks very much guys!

0677B8BF-0E64-413F-A461-A00FF721AAFA.jpeg Just stayed at the most amazing campsite enroute to Simplon Pass - www.camping-giessen.ch You pass through a crazy tunnel on the way to it. Now at Lake Orta, stunning & highly recommend Camping Orta ... but bring plenty of deet for the mosquitos! x

Did the Swiss thing in our 4. A lowly 2.4D. Coped ok. Not the fastest thing up an alp but it got there.

Interlaken is fab. Great camping and stuff to do.

If you’re into mountain biking then get the train up to the Eiger and cycle back down.

Have fun.

we're at camping breithorn for a few days. near trummelbach falls I think. any tips? walking routes. etc

You can get the centre lift from Lauterbrunnen.
Then walk the ridge to Grimmelwald and back down the lift there and back to Lauterbrunnen.

You can do the entire walk from your campsite.

Nice easy route, amazing views.
Remember to stop for beer and sorbet

Back