Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Switzerland in June?

Noticed I got stung by Sky mobile for the two days whilst in Switcherland, £6 a day for the slightest use, in one case half an hour using the google map app in Basel, all because the Swiss choose to not to be members of the EU or EEA.

Good point! Be careful and check your mobile contracts.

Maybe this is helpful:

The other issue about choose to be or not to choose to be EU/EEA would def worth a separate thread (already exist some B-threads).

Last edited:
Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I was thinking we could take the ferry from Plymouth to Roscoff as we can get an overnight cabin and some sleep before crossing France the following day.
Have some of you suggested the most Northern routes to avoid the tolls in France? Even trawling the internet, I am only ever coming up with routes from Calais.

I'm in Basel and wouldn't read too much into the "avoid basel" route via lorrach.

Sure there will be traffic at rush hour and especially on Friday and Sunday afternoons, otherwise its generally fine.

You can come in on the French or German motorways, they both link up further on in the city.

If you see a line of trucks by the border DO NOT join them, they are waiting for the customs depot, pass them and go with the other cars.

You can get the vignette for 40chf at the border, it takes a few mins, you don't need to get out the car, its a drive through operation.
The seller will try slap it on your windscreen, take it and do it yourself there and put it in the upper corner or by the rear view.

Ref speeding.. On motorway it's 120, most people do 130 indicated which in my van is 124 kmh gps speed. Be aware there are quite a few cameras around basel and a sneaky one in the 80kmh zone through the city at a tunnel exit.

I would suggest filling with diesel in Germany just before the border in weil am rhein. OMV tank station next to aldi. It works out about 30 cents cheaper per litre than in CH.

As an addition to the above get an app called fuel flash.. Shows you the cheapest fuel in the area, pretty much in real time. Be aware in Germany the price fluctuates all the time, can even change as you are filling up!

Hi guys,
I'm looking for a recommendation for a Swiss SIM card, which I could use with portable wifi device? Has anyone recently travelled to Switzerland and knows of a good option - I need it for less than 3 weeks.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Hi guys,
I'm looking for a recommendation for a Swiss SIM card, which I could use with portable wifi device? Has anyone recently travelled to Switzerland and knows of a good option - I need it for less than 3 weeks.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Hey, Sunrise is pretty good, they have a mobile data prepaid option:

Also check your own UK mobile roaming options, not sure now after Brexit, but I have some friends and colleagues here in Switzerland that still use their UK mobile contract as its a much better deal.

Also check your own UK mobile roaming options, not sure now after Brexit, but I have some friends and colleagues here in Switzerland that still use their UK mobile contract as its a much better deal.
I believe EE will introduce roaming charges from January 2022 but Vodafone, Three and O2 still say they do not plan to introduce roaming charges.

Thanks, that was lightning fast :) i will look into sunrise. I am from Slovenia and our rates are sky high. I would consider going without internet, however weather updates would be great!

Thanks, that was lightning fast :) i will look into Sunrise. I am from Slovenia and our rates are sky high. I would consider going without internet, however weather updates would be great!

Thanks, that was lightning fast :) i will look into sunrise. I am from Slovenia and our rates are sky high. I would consider going without internet, however weather updates would be great!

Thanks, that was lightning fast :) i will look into Sunrise. I am from Slovenia and our rates are sky high. I would consider going without internet, however weather updates would be great!
Personally I like to stare at the clouds, with my hands on my hips, and shake my head whilst sighing loudly

Hey [mention]andrejab1 [/mention] when do you plan to visit CH?
When we travel the other way round we are so impressed how good the wifi at the Slovenian campsites is!
For on the road abroad we both have a alditalk phone (obv from Germany) with some prepaid options.
Check out aldi-mobile.ch/en/plans
(CHF 20.- to start and CHF 14.- for 3 GB).

Hey [mention]andrejab1[/mention] when do you plan to visit CH?
When we travel the other way round we are so impressed how good the wifi at the Slovenian campsites is!
For on the road abroad we both have a alditalk phone (obv from Germany) with some prepaid options.
Check out aldi-mobile.ch/en/plans
(CHF 20.- to start and CHF 14.- for 3 GB).
Hey Sapto, our plan is to start on Friday via Livigno. But everything is still very open due to the weather forecast :p

Hey Sapto, our plan is to start on Friday via Livigno. But everything is still very open due to the weather forecast :p

At the moment it is always changing. Now it is sunny (in Schwyz) but we expect some more rain in the afternoon.

Just let me know if I can support you in anyway

More intel about Sunrise.

At the moment it is always changing. Now it is sunny (in Schwyz) but we expect some more rain in the afternoon.

Just let me know if I can support you in anyway

More intel about Sunrise.
Thank you! :) Usually the weather is better than predicted, however if we can avoid getting wet during climbing I'll be very happy.

Aldi looks great as well! I use Hofer mobile at home and it is really really cheap and the coverage is great.
We will probably avoid campsites as much as possible, that's why we'll need some kind of mobile internet.

Not directly related to driving to Switzerland, but we are hoping to fly to Geneva in September.

I've been reading the various government websites regarding the Covid testing need to get there and back to the UK. I'm still not clear on what is needed. We're both double jabbed, so it looks like we dont need a test to get into Switzerland, but do we need a test to board a flight to Geneva..? I assume we need a test to board a a flight to get back to the UK..?

Does anyone have any advice/knowledge to share on this..?

cheers

Not directly related to driving to Switzerland, but we are hoping to fly to Geneva in September.

I've been reading the various government websites regarding the Covid testing need to get there and back to the UK. I'm still not clear on what is needed. We're both double jabbed, so it looks like we dont need a test to get into Switzerland, but do we need a test to board a flight to Geneva..? I assume we need a test to board a a flight to get back to the UK..?

Does anyone have any advice/knowledge to share on this..?

cheers
We're doing the opposite journey next week. If you are vaccinated with one of the vaccines approved for use in Switzerland, you don't need to test on arrival and you also don't need a test to fly. Heading to the UK, you will need a test to fly and then day 2 on arrival back. Here's a useful website: https://travelcheck.admin.ch/check

We're doing the opposite journey next week. If you are vaccinated with one of the vaccines approved for use in Switzerland, you don't need to test on arrival and you also don't need a test to fly. Heading to the UK, you will need a test to fly and then day 2 on arrival back. Here's a useful website: https://travelcheck.admin.ch/check
Great, thanks.

Do you have any recommendations for testing providers in Geneva..? Any idea about the cost for the test..?

Think I can help here. I have family visiting from the UK to Switzerland this week. The going rate seems to be 185 CHF for a test, which you need to take 3 days before your return flight. You can often book online.

You need to google "PCR Travel test Geneva" or something similar.

The cheapest I've found is provided by the City, so in Zurich it's this place. That's 137 CHF.

Saying that, as some more rules just changed over the weekend, making it easier to fly from Switzerland to the UK, then we are waiting for a few days before booking anything.

You can always book at the airport, but that might be a pain to go back and forth.

Zurich airport

Geneva info

More info / other option

Lastly don't be afraid to call the official hotlines and ask for advice, I did and found it very helpful.

Zurich

Think I can help here. I have family visiting from the UK to Switzerland this week. The going rate seems to be 185 CHF for a test, which you need to take 3 days before your return flight. You can often book online.

You need to google "PCR Travel test Geneva" or something similar.

The cheapest I've found is provided by the City, so in Zurich it's this place. That's 137 CHF.

Saying that, as some more rules just changed over the weekend, making it easier to fly from Switzerland to the UK, then we are waiting for a few days before booking anything.

You can always book at the airport, but that might be a pain to go back and forth.

Zurich airport

Geneva info

More info / other option

Lastly don't be afraid to call the official hotlines and ask for advice, I did and found it very helpful.

Zurich
Thanks for your help, very useful.

Its making my £30 Easy Jet flight look very expensive with all this testing..!

Crazy times, but we need to keep safe.

cheers

[mention]andrejab1 [/mention] Did everything worked so far for you guys?

[mention]andrejab1 [/mention] Did everything worked so far for you guys?
Yes! Thanks for asking :) Everything is perfect, even the weather :) we came from Livigno, over Bernina pass, then through Sankt Moritz and Silvaplana onto Oberalppass, where we spent the night. Hiked to Pazolastock and the Toma lake, then on to Andermatt and further to Furka pass. We climbed in Klein Furkahorn today and now moved to Tasch, to do some mountainbiking under Matterhorn tomorrow.

We chose Swisscom for internet as we got an offer of 20 CHF for 7 days of unlimited data. After those 7 days we can prolong for another 7 days or choose 2 eur per day for a limited data coverage, I think it's 1GB per day. Pretty sweet deal. And we get unlimited sms and calls within Switzerland.

I do have a question for you - if you can help. We were thinking of using a car train to travel from Goppenstein to Kandersteg. I see there is a limit of 3.5 t, but I cant find a height restriction. Do you think we can get away with 230 cm height?

Yes! Thanks for asking :) Everything is perfect, even the weather :) we came from Livigno, over Bernina pass, then through Sankt Moritz and Silvaplana onto Oberalppass, where we spent the night. Hiked to Pazolastock and the Toma lake, then on to Andermatt and further to Furka pass. We climbed in Klein Furkahorn today and now moved to Tasch, to do some mountainbiking under Matterhorn tomorrow.

We chose Swisscom for internet as we got an offer of 20 CHF for 7 days of unlimited data. After those 7 days we can prolong for another 7 days or choose 2 eur per day for a limited data coverage, I think it's 1GB per day. Pretty sweet deal. And we get unlimited sms and calls within Switzerland.

I do have a question for you - if you can help. We were thinking of using a car train to travel from Goppenstein to Kandersteg. I see there is a limit of 3.5 t, but I cant find a height restriction. Do you think we can get away with 230 cm height?
Sounds great!

For your question, give them a call and ask, better not to take chances:

Sounds great!

For your question, give them a call and ask, better not to take chances:

"Vehicles up to 3.5 t and minibuses up to 22 seats can board the train until a short time before Departure. Large vehicles (lorries, camper vans), as well as motorbikes and bicycles must be ready for boarding 15 minutes before departure.

The maximum height of 3.55m (safety distance to the overhead line) applies to all vehicles."​

No problem re hight. Happy to be corrected however as far as I know Furka, Vereina and Goppenstein car train are okay with 2m at least.

Your tour sounds great and happy the weather turned out better than expected. Great to have another option for date/calls for visitors because Swiss Mobile Contracts are usually quite expensive.

Enjoy your time and stay safe!

Edit: Look forward to see some pictures