Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure engine battery charging issue.

C

cskins

Vehicle
T4 Hightop
Does anyone know how the engine and laisure batteries are linked in a 94 t4 california coach. It appears that when the van is plugged in the internal charger charges the leisure battery but not the engine battery but when the engine is running the alternator charges both. How are they linked? I would like to use my solar panel which connects to the leisure to charge both during winter srorage.

It depends on which charger unit you have fitted.
Some do have dual output so the leisure batteries and engine battery are charged at the same time.

My money says you don't have such a system buts its easily confirmed.
Connect to hookup and put a voltmeter across your engine battery. If it reads more than 12.5v (up to 13.4) then yes, you have a dual charger.

If not then it's a simple case of connecting your solar charger across the split charge relay so it back feeds the engine battery.

Personally I wouldn't bother. Just get an Optimate or similar and leave it under the bonnet.

Some do have dual output so the leisure batteries and engine battery are charged at the same time.

Connect to hookup and put a voltmeter across your engine battery. If it reads more than 12.5v (up to 13.4) then yes, you have a dual charger.

If not then it's a simple case of connecting your solar charger across the split charge relay so it back feeds the engine battery.

Personally I wouldn't bother. Just get an Optimate or similar and leave it under the bonnet.

I checked it out and mine is a single output charger. Is the ignition switch what triggers the relay that charges the leisure battery when the engine is running. Also do you know where the split charge relay is located. I store the van in a greenhouse in Holland and rely on solar to keep the batteries up so charging both would be great,

It's the output from the alternator (the one that lights the battery symbol on the dash) that triggers the split charge relay.

The relay is located on the bulkhead inside the charger compartment below the fridge.

So the input to the relay comes from the starter battery. In other words the relay isolates the engine battery when you stop the engine.

I'm away on hols at the moment but I'll upload the wiring scheme when I get back if that helps?

It's the output from the alternator (the one that lights the battery symbol on the dash) that triggers the split charge relay.

The relay is located on the bulkhead inside the charger compartment below the fridge.

So the input to the relay comes from the starter battery. In other words the relay isolates the engine battery when you stop the engine.

I'm away on hols at the moment but I'll upload the wiring scheme when I get back if that helps?

V

Thanks so much. But don't bother to upload a schematic I got it. I live on a boat all winter in Mexico so the systems are similar. Thanks for all you do. Enjoy your holiday.

Hi,

Sorry to Hijack this discussion but I would like to get some knowledge on this matter,

SidePod if you could upload the wiring scheme that would be great thanks!

Hi,

Sorry to Hijack this discussion but I would like to get some knowledge on this matter,

SidePod if you could upload the wiring scheme that would be great thanks!
I won't be able to until after 18th Sept

Back