Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T4 westy92 diesel heater

Ninja1965

Ninja1965

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi all hope you are well
does anyone have any photos of where my night diesel heater is located under my 2.4 diesel 1992 westfalia T4 ?

Many thanks

Dave

No photo I’m afraid but you should find it underneath your Westy, roughly below where the sink is. It’s a black box with a couple of large air pipes at each end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe these three links will show you how everything fits together...

Note that later T4s had a different heater but fitted in the same location.

Is there anyone out there who still has a working original ? My fan works, but it just doesn't get hot. Any ideas ?

Are your details correct? Do you own a T4 and if so what year and what fuel, petrol or diesel?

Has it worked recently?

That will give us a start at diagnosing whet may be the matter with it.

Hiya !
Yes I own a T4 Westfalia California Coach, L reg, 1994, brilliant old bus !!!
Its a 2.4 5 pot AAB engine
The control panel works on the Eberspacher, the fan works, the glow plug was changed a couple of years ago but its never worked since then. I would love it to work, I can only ever heat things up inside when I'm on shore power and then by using a blow heater which is not yummy !!
I'll try and get some photos on here of the old beauty !!
Sean

Let's get down to basics...

Most important, is/are the battery(s) fully charged and in good condition?​
How long do you leave it with the motor running?​
Can you hear the fuel pump ticking after a while with the motor running? The pump is below floor level so is probably best heard from outside left side of vehicle.​
Does it stop on its own after a while or only if you switch it off?​
Is there a display on the control panel and if so does it show any fault numbers?​
I'm not totally familiar with the version of Eberspacher on your vehicle but I guess it's a version of a D2L or D2LC dependant on age. They are all very similar except for the actual control panel.

It's worth checking for blockages in the heater exhaust pipe and combustion air input pipe, also if it has a separate fuel filter is it OK. The fuel take-off from the engine fuel system is accessed via a removable plate under the floor covering below the left front seat.

Oooooh crikey !
Ok,
Battery for the engine is great. Leisure batteries are a bit tired.
I don't often just leave the van idling.
Not sure about the fuel pump ticking, not heard it, I'll have a listen tomorrow if it stops pouring down in Bristol !
Does what stop after a while ? The engine ? No. The Eberspacher doesn't ever start !
The control panel for the EB is just a couple of dials and coloured lights. I think its actually a B3 (??)

Blockages ? Barely even know what those things are ???LOL !

Battery for the engine is great. Leisure batteries are a bit tired.
I don't often just leave the van idling. These heaters need a perfect power supply to fire up so maybe try it with the engine running or the hook-up connected.
Not sure about the fuel pump ticking, not heard it, I'll have a listen tomorrow if it stops pouring down in Bristol !
Does what stop after a while ? The engine ? No. The Eberspacher doesn't ever start ! Sorry I thought you said that the heater fan ran?
The control panel for the EB is just a couple of dials and coloured lights. I think its actually a B3 (??) Won't be a B3 because the B means benzine (petrol) fuel and your van is a diesel but should be a D2L according to the parts list.
Blockages ? Barely even know what those things are ???LOL ! The exhaust is a small pipe about 20mm diameter poking out under the side of the van. The inlet is buried up underneath the van.

The Eberspacher under your van should be the older big square box version if it is a 1994, it was changed for the version very like modern Eberspachers in 1996.

Sorry if you are not into DIY repairs of such things then you will need to find someone who has seen this rather unusual version and is familiar with their idiosyncrasies especially the electrical side of them.

Rod
Sorry for the tardy response, I'll have a close look at all that you suggest and see if I can get it moving forward ! Yes, it is the big box under the floor one that is for certain. Thanks and Happy New Year !
Sean

No offence taken.
I spoke with my son yesterday about your problem, he owned a Type 25 (T3) with the same heater and has a handle on those with knowledge, he told me of a person who can either refurbish your heater or supply a refurbished one on an exchange basis. I'll get the contacts off him tomorrow all being well and let you know.

As a follow up, the person in question who reputedly makes a nice job of refurbishing the early D2 Eberspacher heaters (the ones in the metal box) can be contacted via Facebook -- https://www.facebook.com/keithflynn1969
Sorry I know no more than this recommendation from a VW Type 25 (T3) group. The Type 25 had the same heater.

There is a strong chance your control box is knackered. It sits down behind the B pillar panel above the vent by the side of the sink.
Probable cause is a water leak from your kitchen sink window seal. Both seal and control box are ironically both obsolete.

Other potential causes are dry solder joints inside the switch panel above the sink.

There are plenty of wiring schemes around the net and if you’re handy with a multimeter then you’ll soon trace the fault.

The heater units themselves are pretty bomb proof, it’s the external electrical bits that seem to let them down.

Back