Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 2.5 California reliability?

loz
Your absolutely right about the oil, because it's the pump/Duce engine,
I work in a main dealer and we use every grade of Mobile 1 But I still buy the VW spec oil, It breaks my heart,

Your absolutely right about the oil, because it's the pump/Duce engine,
I work in a main dealer and we use every grade of Mobile 1 But I still buy the VW spec oil, It breaks my heart,

When I bought mine it has DYMO-stickers all over the place with the right oil type. Door, glove compartment, bonnet, central control panel. There's a reason for that.

My 208 2.5 174 blew up a cylinder after 64000 dealer serviced miles and 5 years. The more reputable engine repairers did not provide "remanufactured" engines of this type. VW did not want to know really. The cylinders are very close together and the bores are specially treated making the repair process very difficult. New engines are VERY expensive!

the 1st generation 5 cylinder 2.5 TDI's is to be avoided, they tend to have many more issues and earlier in their life cycle than the 2nd generation (from model year 2008 onwards),
As this old thread has popped up again, I want to correct an error (I believe) in the above statement. The engines were changed in 2006 when the exhaust manifolds went from tubular to cast (both give problems but fewer with the latter), and a dpf was added. I'm a bit rusty on the engine codes but I think they went from an A suffix to a B suffix. Mines a 130 from 2006 with a dpf and the cast manifold so is a BNZ engine code.

@2into1,

I thought the real issues with earlier T5 engines were not so much the exhaust manifolds as well as the fuel
injectors coming loose. They were mounted differently after model year 2007, I thought. Hence my remark about evading pre-2008 models. But I am happy to be corrected is I’m wrong!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Very few AXD engine coded 2.5’s had issues, My friend worked for the AA back in 2006/7 all there T5’s were the early AXD without DPF’s, They had many on there fleet ‘s with over 500,000 miles on the clock with just routine services,
Let’s be honest, all new generation vehicles are hardly without there issues, All built to a budget for maximum profits

@2into1,

I thought the real issues with earlier T5 engines were not so much the exhaust manifolds as well as the fuel
injectors coming loose. They were mounted differently after model year 2007, I thought. Hence my remark about evading pre-2008 models. But I am happy to be corrected is I’m wrong!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
No that sounds like a different issue, so I shouldn't have corrected you.... Except PERHAPS for the date part... I wonder if the dpf and the fuel injectors were changed with the switch to B series engines? Model year 2007 would be produced 2nd half of 2006?

Back