Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 major electrical issues due to water ingress - advice sought

Allie Park

Allie Park

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We love our T5 Cali, which we bought in 2015 from new, and only has about 25,000 miles on the clock. But we now have a nightmare problem, and potentially a huge repair bill, so I'm hoping for some insight and advice from the community, before I raise a case with VW and / or make an insurance claim.

Having driven the Cali around during the Christmas holidays, it broke down while being refuelled in early January, and wouldn't start with an unknown problem (engine fault code P0607). It was recovered to home and an expert VW mobile mechanic looked at it a couple of times, but couldn't find the fault - said it needed main dealer attention from someone with full diagnostic gear and wiring diagrams.

In mid-Feb the main dealer started work on it. Their initial diagnostics were inconclusive, but they advised that there had been major water ingress into the engine electrics, asking if it had been in a flood - it hadn't, and we couldn't think of any water incident out of the range of normal driving in wet conditions. Having consulted VW, they diagnosed a failed electronic body control unit and advised replacement, estimated cost so far c.£1,300 parts and labour.

Having made this replacement the fault condition was still present, so having spent some time trying to dry it out, they now advise that the next step is replacement of the engine control unit itself, taking the total estimate cost to c.£3,300 parts and labour total.

Further they advise that due to water-related corrosion in the main connector to the ECU this might still not solve the problem, and we'd need to have the wiring harness replaced, taking the total estimated cost to a massive £7,000 parts and labour!

We're beside ourselves here about this level of cost on a vehicle that we bought from new relatively recently, and desperate to find a solution. This seems completely outside the realms of normal wear and tear, and there's no negligence involved, so any insight, experience or suggestions from the owner community, or VW if they are about, would be most welcome.

Check the drain grommets from the roof drains that in the bulkhead under the windscreen, if they have been pushed in due to a towbar fitting or similar wiring, then the water from the roof will be running down the inside of the bulkhead and under the carpet and the back of the BCU .
I assume you had a dehumidifier or similar inside to get the water out?
Now this is done I would go locate the earth connection points on the bulkhead behind peddles, remove and clean them as first thing, as normally it's an earth fault that cause these common random problems across multiple systems, if you have had corrosion to these earth points that could be where your problem resides.

We love our T5 Cali, which we bought in 2015 from new, and only has about 25,000 miles on the clock. But we now have a nightmare problem, and potentially a huge repair bill, so I'm hoping for some insight and advice from the community, before I raise a case with VW and / or make an insurance claim.

Having driven the Cali around during the Christmas holidays, it broke down while being refuelled in early January, and wouldn't start with an unknown problem (engine fault code P0607). It was recovered to home and an expert VW mobile mechanic looked at it a couple of times, but couldn't find the fault - said it needed main dealer attention from someone with full diagnostic gear and wiring diagrams.

In mid-Feb the main dealer started work on it. Their initial diagnostics were inconclusive, but they advised that there had been major water ingress into the engine electrics, asking if it had been in a flood - it hadn't, and we couldn't think of any water incident out of the range of normal driving in wet conditions. Having consulted VW, they diagnosed a failed electronic body control unit and advised replacement, estimated cost so far c.£1,300 parts and labour.

Having made this replacement the fault condition was still present, so having spent some time trying to dry it out, they now advise that the next step is replacement of the engine control unit itself, taking the total estimate cost to c.£3,300 parts and labour total.

Further they advise that due to water-related corrosion in the main connector to the ECU this might still not solve the problem, and we'd need to have the wiring harness replaced, taking the total estimated cost to a massive £7,000 parts and labour!

We're beside ourselves here about this level of cost on a vehicle that we bought from new relatively recently, and desperate to find a solution. This seems completely outside the realms of normal wear and tear, and there's no negligence involved, so any insight, experience or suggestions from the owner community, or VW if they are about, would be most welcome.
If this problem is due to water damage then the source of water ingress should be investigated as this might reveal a manufacturing fault. Sorting the problem without investigating the source would be a waste of time.

What a nightmare!

I think the first step would be to contact VW Customer Service with a view to covering the cost with a goodwill gesture. If this gets you nowhere, even out of warranty it could be covered under the Consumer Rights Act 2015; if you are in one of the motoring organisations you may be able to contact them for advice.

Good luck.

Replacing an entire harness based on a corroded connector seems excessive to me.
Connectors are standard and readily available and could easily be spliced in at a fraction of the cost.

Personally I'd look to pay for an independent survey and assessment (with written report).

I have bought my own vcds unit - this has proved invaluable in highlighting previous error codes, and enabling of rear view camera etc.

Using the vcds I would execute a full diagnostic printout. This will highlight those system components which are not playing ball, and perhaps give you some pointers as to where the real issue is.

Hi @Allie Park the engine control unit is in the E box under the battery which is completely sealed and water proof. I appreciate the dealers thought of it being in a flood etc but just how did that water get in there? Has the vehicle had cruise control retro fitted ? As the lid to the E box has to be drilled and a gromet fitted to run a wire in. I’m also a little confused as to why they have replaced a body control module if they said there was water ingress into the engine control module the bcm is inside the vehicle safely tucked up under the dash. I feel your dealer maybe clutching at straws somewhat. I have only ever had a t5 engine Ecu contaminated with water once in my 15 years of working for a vw dealer and that was due to a poor repair after a front end smash. Obviously you have had your Cali from new do you know what work you have taken it in for in the past? Or if you don’t fully know let me have your chassis number and I will see what the repair history of your vehicle is.

Thanks everyone for your very helpful replies, which we'll work our way through. After posting, I suddenly realised that damage through water ingress might be covered by insurance if it was as a result of normal use in wet conditions. Admiral have allowed a claim to be raised and are now on the case with the dealer. Fingers crossed...

I haven't raised a case with VW at this stage, as am assuming that if the insurance claim is accepted for settlement and the Cali is fixed, then that's the end of it, costing me only the excess - my no-claims is protected.

Just for everyone' s interest, the vehicle is completely standard as it emerged from the factory, and has not had any accidents or repairs. There was no sign of flooding or water damage inside the vehicle, and the first we knew that there had been water ingress into the electrics was as a result of the investigation of the recurrent fault code by the VW Van Centre, Hatfield.

Hmm - I can't see the insurance company being happy to cover a manufacturers shortcomings; if the van can't be used in the rain it's not fit for purpose! :(

Doesn't sound quite right and the dealer is clutching at straws.

I would be speaking with VW. I would also be surprised if the Dealer hasn't already contacted VW in regards to the problem.

Back