Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water system leak or water ingress?

GregW

GregW

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I discovered clear water on my T5 SE van floor this morning, perhaps a cup or two, that appears to have come from under the sink unit. Water on the shelf directly under the sink waste and tap plumbing at first seemed to suggest it was coming from there, and the white tap supply pipe was wet where it runs horizontally. So a leak at the tap was my first guess.

However... I've only had the van a couple of weeks and never used the sink, nor have I put water in the tank.

So my next guess is rain water ingress through the window above the sink. It has been raining hard, so is this a common issue?

Does a replacement to the window seal tend to resolve the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I discovered clear water on my T5 SE van floor this morning, perhaps a cup or two, that appears to have come from under the sink unit. Water on the shelf directly under the sink waste and tap plumbing at first seemed to suggest it was coming from there, and the white tap supply pipe was wet where it runs horizontally. So a leak at the tap was my first guess.

However... I've only had the van a couple of weeks and never used the sink, nor have I put water in the tank.

So my next guess is rain water ingress through the window above the sink. It has been raining hard, so is this a common issue?

Does a replacement to the window seal tend to resolve the problem?

When I got my Cali I had similar. To cut a long story short. It was the sliding window. Replaced under warranty twice before it was fixed. There are lots of posts explaining that there are 2 issues, the window seal and the drains which are integral to the window track. If there's no sign of water on the window surround behind the sink try syringing some water into the drain holes at the end of the window track, the water runs down and in mine collected on the waste tank.

Last edited:
If it is the window and you are still under warranty I'd suggest going SMG at Cowfold.

If it is the window and you are still under warranty I'd suggest going SMG at Cowfold.

I bought from SMG Tonbridge. Do you think I need to go specifically to Cowfold?

I bought from SMG Tonbridge. Do you think I need to go specifically to Cowfold?

I only say Cowfold because they dealt with my dodgy window and should at least be familiar with the problem. The important thing is to get the fault registered with them before your warranty ends. VW technical initially wanted to have the kitchen out to identify the source of the leak!!

Just had the same problem on my 15 plate Cali after a holiday in Wales. Checked the tap, water tank etc and concluded it must be the window. Took it to Hereford and they changed the window within days of the three year warranty expiring! So far no signs of water coming in even after the heavy snow and rain of the last few weeks. Fingers crossed.

I’ve just got back from a long drive in the rain and found water under the sink. On close inspection it’s dripping down from the metal frame at the top rear of the sink unit.

E9510B48-FDD8-4038-9E93-67868A8AC2BA.jpeg
Same as @GregW @ArunAlec and @jeff16 above, I suspect this is caused by a window leak. The rain is quite bad at the moment, but the track did have standing water and as the van wasn’t very well valeted before handover there was an accumulation of dirt too.

Ours is a 2016 Ocean, but we’ve only owned it two days, so you can imagine that I’m not particularly pleased. I’d be even less pleased if I have to go back the VW B********m ever again, so hopefully this can be resolved under warranty at another dealership.

Once the rain stops I’ll clean the van properly, making sure all the seals are supple and drain holes clean. Then I will spray a hose on the suspect window, if it leaks it’s in for a claim, if not it’s because the van wasn’t cleaned properly.

I’ve just got back from a long drive in the rain and found water under the sink. On close inspection it’s dripping down from the metal frame at the top rear of the sink unit.

View attachment 31669
Same as @GregW @ArunAlec and @jeff16 above, I suspect this is caused by a window leak. The rain is quite bad at the moment, but the track did have standing water and as the van wasn’t very well valeted before handover there was an accumulation of dirt too.

Ours is a 2016 Ocean, but we’ve only owned it two days, so you can imagine that I’m not particularly pleased. I’d be even less pleased if I have to go back the VW B********m ever again, so hopefully this can be resolved under warranty at another dealership.

Once the rain stops I’ll clean the van properly, making sure all the seals are supple and drain holes clean. Then I will spray a hose on the suspect window, if it leaks it’s in for a claim, if not it’s because the van wasn’t cleaned properly.

I'm still of the opinion that this is a window leak problem. My track was dirty too, but the dealer seems sure there is a leak in the clean water supply so has ordered some parts for a repair under warranty.

When the rain finally stopped I cleaned down the suspect window seal and drain run, then applied some Teflon grease to the gaskets. After a drive and more rain I stopped to see how we got on...

6B6A371F-1CB9-4AB3-A1C0-DEA55C14D86B.jpeg

...unfortunately it didn’t work and the water was still getting in under the frame. It then disappears under the grey trim and tracks along the kitchen unit top eventually dripping down.

I’ve cleaned it again and applied more grease, but after looking at the drivers side passenger window I’d say that was a much better fit and the problem is with the whole unit.

I really didn’t expect to be on my hands and knees messing about tracking leaks after two days of ownership. I’ll call the local VW centre tomorrow to see what they’ve got to say.

When the rain finally stopped I cleaned down the suspect window seal and drain run, then applied some Teflon grease to the gaskets. After a drive and more rain I stopped to see how we got on...

View attachment 31727

...unfortunately it didn’t work and the water was still getting in under the frame. It then disappears under the grey trim and tracks along the kitchen unit top eventually dripping down.

I’ve cleaned it again and applied more grease, but after looking at the drivers side passenger window I’d say that was a much better fit and the problem is with the whole unit.

I really didn’t expect to be on my hands and knees messing about tracking leaks after two days of ownership. I’ll call the local VW centre tomorrow to see what they’ve got to say.
UPDATE: Driving near Malton today was like going through a monsoon and astonishingly the extra grease seems to have now done the trick. It’s only a temporary solution, as the window clearly isn’t closing tight against the gasket, but at least we are water free for today.

VW T5 & T6 sliding windows have had leakage problems since the model was introduced in 2003!

I've had a number of sliding windows changed in that period all to varying degrees of success. Dealers have always tried to blame the seal between the glass and the frame but in a real world situation if the window is used regularly some degree of dirt, hair or similar will allow water to pass between the glass and the frame. What they often deny is that the plastic mouldings that make up the drain channels are not correctly bonded together and let water run inside the vehicle rather than out behind the glass on the outside.
I've presented VW with video of water being poured into one of the drain holes and it running out of the join in the moulding into the vehicle but after all these years they still haven't fixed it! My dealer even quoted a question being asked at a pre-launch seminar of the T6 "Are the sliding windows fixed yet?" only to be told that it was still "Work in progress".
Don't forget if you are looking at this problem there are two drain holes, one visible at the front of the slide and one hidden under the centre never becoming visible at any position of the window opening.

Rod

VW T5 & T6 sliding windows have had leakage problems since the model was introduced in 2003!

I've had a number of sliding windows changed in that period all to varying degrees of success. Dealers have always tried to blame the seal between the glass and the frame but in a real world situation if the window is used regularly some degree of dirt, hair or similar will allow water to pass between the glass and the frame. What they often deny is that the plastic mouldings that make up the drain channels are not correctly bonded together and let water run inside the vehicle rather than out behind the glass on the outside.
I've presented VW with video of water being poured into one of the drain holes and it running out of the join in the moulding into the vehicle but after all these years they still haven't fixed it! My dealer even quoted a question being asked at a pre-launch seminar of the T6 "Are the sliding windows fixed yet?" only to be told that it was still "Work in progress".
Don't forget if you are looking at this problem there are two drain holes, one visible at the front of the slide and one hidden under the centre never becoming visible at any position of the window opening.

Rod
Spot on!
The real issue is the ineffective drain. Given the dainty design of the window seal some sepage is expected which should be handled by drain.... But it isnt!

After giving Gurty a good wash this evening, judging by the soapy water under the kitchen sink, I can now report the it is most definitely the window that leaks! I’ll ring the local dealer in the morning to get it booked in.

After giving Gurty a good wash this evening, judging by the soapy water under the kitchen sink, I can now report the it is most definitely the window that leaks! I’ll ring the local dealer in the morning to get it booked in.
Just got Gurty back home and in the end the whole window unit had to be replaced under warranty...fingers crossed this one doesn’t leak!

Back