Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 NCAP Crash Test

Andyclockwise

Andyclockwise

VIP Member
I don't like the look of they way the side pillars comes into the van on the side impact test, scary

Ouch - am wondering just how well the aftermarket seat covers burst open when the side airbags go off. Think I'll probably skip the covers when my Cali arrives.

Ouch - am wondering just how well the aftermarket seat covers burst open when the side airbags go off. Think I'll probably skip the covers when my Cali arrives.
Agree, there must be a delay as the air bag has to deploy through 2 layers of stitching which must be opposite each other to be fully effective.

It the pole test that was worst looking. This looks bad on most cars as it's a hard test on the structure of a vehicle. The lower score 4 star is mainly due to poor pedestrian protection as occupants protection is fairly decent.

Food for thought.
IMO the thing worth bearing in mind, is that these NCAP crash tests are all carried out at relatively low impact speeds. I think I am right in saying that the frontal impact crash tests are carried out at 40 mph, the side impact tests at 31mph and the side impact pole test at a mere 20mph.

For me at least these tests have always been a useful tool in comparing the safety of different vehicles before buying but..............if we want our vehicles to behave in the manner shown in the tests we'd best not exceed these speeds or conditions otherwise all bets are off.

Food for thought.
IMO the thing worth bearing in mind, is that these NCAP crash tests are all carried out at relatively low impact speeds. I think I am right in saying that the frontal impact crash tests are carried out at 40 mph, the side impact tests at 31mph and the side impact pole test at a mere 20mph.

For me at least these tests have always been a useful tool in comparing the safety of different vehicles before buying but..............if we want our vehicles to behave in the manner shown in the tests we'd best not exceed these speeds or conditions otherwise all bets are off.
I know its been a while ....... but this one's interesting and a bit more up to date

Back