Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 Sharp rattling noise when sharp steering - servo?

bmassaer

bmassaer

Vehicle
Please Select
Hi,

We are on holiday in the UK with our 2007 VW Cali T5. When sharp steering we hear a sharp, rattling noise at the wheel. It also happens when turning the wheel to the maximum white not driving.

When driving, everything is ok.

Is this bad? Should we have it checked, or simply drive on to see if it gets worse?

Thank you for your advice!

Bart

Hi,

We are on holiday in the UK with our 2007 VW Cali T5. When sharp steering we hear a sharp, rattling noise at the wheel. It also happens when turning the wheel to the maximum white not driving.

When driving, everything is ok.

Is this bad? Should we have it checked, or simply drive on to see if it gets worse?

Thank you for your advice!

Bart
Are you able to post a short video with sound please?

May be power steering pump, but may also be other stuff.

I normally would not associate a rattle with a failed/failing steering pump.

Now we had not such a good experience...
We went to a local mechanic dealing and repairing old VW's. They checked the noise and first wondered if it would be the steering pump. But when spraying some lubricant on the belt, the noise stoppen temporarily, so they decided it would be the belt or the belt tensioner.
He ordered these parts and told me he would first call me when they arrived to tell me the amount it would cost. But in the afternoon I got a message that the car was fixed without any warning.
On arrival, we checked and unfortunately the noise was still there. He told me that he fixed "another noise" but it would not be expensive: 30 pounds for the tensioner, 15 pounds for the belt, so... 220 pounds including working hours. We told him again the problem was not fixed, so he suggested to change the parts again to the old parts (would only take one hour???) ... all for free, and have a look again to solve the problem. But we are running out of time and we do not trust him anymore - with 175 pounds for one working hour he might charge us a lot...

We left, try to find another mechanic tomorrow early in the morning at least for a diagnosis. And we'll try to come to an agreement with him after that.

Can anybody tell me how much time it takes to change the steering pump belt and tensioner of a 2007 T5?

Thank you!

Bart

By the sounds of that engine you have a 1.9 BRS PD engine, That noise is caused by the alternator freewheel pulley being seized get a new free wheel and all will be fine.

By the sounds of that engine you have a 1.9 BRS PD engine, That noise is caused by the alternator freewheel pulley being seized get a new free wheel and all will be fine.
Thank you for this suggestion! Any idee of this is an expensive repair? And what is the relation with steering?

The pulley is around the £90 mark and about 45 mins to fit but you need the right special tools to remove the pulley. As regards the relationship to the steering the alternator, power steering pump and air con compressor if you have it all run off the same auxiliary drive belt. When putting the steering under load the strain on the belt is very high as is the constant load from the alternator so when the pressure builds on the belt the free wheel takes the strain out of the system by disconnecting the alternator ( like a clutch when changing gear) if the strain cannot be eased you get the noise you have from the aux drive belt and tensioner being placed under to much load. I have replaced hundreds of the free wheel pulleys in my career for exactly this fault.

Wow, that's a very informative answer! Thank you so much... I hope I can find a mechanic to deal with it tomorrow. I will keep you updates!

The pulley is around the £90 mark and about 45 mins to fit but you need the right special tools to remove the pulley. As regards the relationship to the steering the alternator, power steering pump and air con compressor if you have it all run off the same auxiliary drive belt. When putting the steering under load the strain on the belt is very high as is the constant load from the alternator so when the pressure builds on the belt the free wheel takes the strain out of the system by disconnecting the alternator ( like a clutch when changing gear) if the strain cannot be eased you get the noise you have from the aux drive belt and tensioner being placed under to much load. I have replaced hundreds of the free wheel pulleys in my career for exactly this fault.
And if this is the case, is this an extremely urgent repair? What will happen if we drive on (besides my wife being too worried)? - Or by chance you've not located in the region of Canterbury to help us out tomorrow? ;-))

Yes I agree with VW Guru. The freewheel alternator clutch (one way bearing pulley is a relatively common issue with VW and Audi.

I had the same problem on an Audi A4. Convinced it was the Steering Pump, I replaced (£400 parts) only to discover that the issue (squealing when on full lock) still occurred.

Doing some research I came across the alternator clutch replacement. This was replaced (around £40) quite easily, with me only having to buy a special multi splined tool (about £30).

But a month later, the water pump failed too (around £120). I replaced the auxiliary belt and tensioner pulley at the same time (around £100).

As VW Guru says, one problem on equipment driven by the auxiliary belt, can create/highlight failures elsewhere.

My prices were for replacement in 2013, with me doing the work.

And if this is the case, is this an extremely urgent repair? What will happen if we drive on (besides my wife being too worried)? - Or by chance you've not located in the region of Canterbury to help us out tomorrow? ;-))

Hi unfortunately I’m based in Poole Dorset. On a positive point it’s not an emergency job it will be ok for a little while but will need replacement. How far are your traveling?

Had one of these seize on my 4year old Audi 1.9 TDI back in 2007. Drove 500 miles back from France. The noise only occurred when it was ticking over. Unfortunately in my instance the pulley was seized and Audi wanted £530 for a new alternator. They finally offered me £100 off for goodwill.

Okay tx. I hope to find a mechanic today to fix it!

So here's the update... You were so right! I had the alternator flywheel pulley changed by a mechanic. They charged me two hours, I paid 140 pounds in total and the dreadfull noise has disapprared! I am so gratefull to you! We managed to drive on as planned, enjoying the south of England right now.
Thanks again!!

Back