Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 T6 recognition when buying

S

Sutherland

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I am sorting through adverts looking to buy an ocean.
After reading up ideally I would like an early T6
Correct me if I'm wrong but a T6 has
Better drivability
Better dash
Built in windscreen blinds
Better engine??
Most adverts don't state which model.
I believe the T6 came out in 2015
Is there an easy way to recognise the difference?
I'm not to sure on the different dash so I try and see blindson the photos.
I'm probably way off the mark so any advise would be appreciate.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
I am sorting through adverts looking to buy an ocean.
After reading up ideally I would like an early T6
Correct me if I'm wrong but a T6 has
Better drivability
Better dash
Built in windscreen blinds
Better engine??
Most adverts don't state which model.
I believe the T6 came out in 2015
Is there an easy way to recognise the difference?
I'm not to sure on the different dash so I try and see blindson the photos.
I'm probably way off the mark so any advise would be appreciate.
Also more Recalls than the late T5.1s

Blinds can be problematic. Lighter Roof Bellows material. Uses Adblue.

Rear light cluster has LED brake/indicators.
Adblue filler below Diesel Fuel Cap.

Camper side of things basically unchanged. If the advert says ' Comfort Seats ' , only on the T6, beware as they don't swivel.

Thank you. Very helpful!
To be honest the T5 would be more in my price bracket.
I have just hired a T6 and thought it was very nice.
I don't know a lot about the T5s but I can see myself heading that way.

There's nothing much "better" on a T6 compared to a T5 ....
Only diffrent engine with indeed better euro norm .
And some new features but in general view not nesessary better .

The visual diffrence alltough is very clear .

Always the 4 :rolleyes:

There are a lot of very happy T5.1 owners out around. I had a loan T6 and found the fuel consumption much better on our own T5 SE. We considered changing for a T6 but came to the conclusion that there's not enough of a difference to change to a T6 especially the earlier variant.

Thanks. Since I got the advice about the indicators I was able to spot that all the ones In my price bracket (around 40k) are T5's so it looks like it's a 5!
Can I ask are the interior lights the same spec?
They were nice in the one we hired.
Also, the glove box area appears to be open on photos. Is this the norm on T 5's or do some have doors in that area ?
Also, (sorry)
what do you do for a front blind on the 5? I have Seen external covers for the windscreen and side windows. Is that the norm?
Thanks again, Craig

T6 has some lights in the pop-up roof (option i think ) and in the inside of the tailgate (option i think )
The new '18 version has a feature with lights in and under the kitchenunit.

The T5 lights are pretty good .

The dash on the UK T5's are diffrent than the ones we had on the mainland , others wil go in to this ...

Thesame with the front blinds , we have roller blinds worked away in the trim but UK T5's not.

To be fair not all that important . The thing is a T6 cost a whole lot more but in the end the T5 does about thesame so if your budget can't take a T6 don't worry a recent T5 wil give almost thesame pleasure in the end.

Lights in roof & boot in T6 are standard (not an option). Also dimmable,very useful in the boot.

The blind/curtain on the 5 is fabric and attaches to the rear view mirror and sun visors. The same fabric is used to attach the driver/passenger door blinds via magnets sewn into the edges of the fabric. You can buy aftermarket window coverings too but we find the standard VW ones supplied work fine.

Until recently, I had a very late T5 SE. We also have a T6 Beach. Both the T5 and the T6 are great vehicles and having run both models side by side I can't say that either version is better than the other, just different.

Until recently, I had a very late T5 SE. We also have a T6 Beach. Both the T5 and the T6 are great vehicles and having run both models side by side I can't say that either version is better than the other, just different.
Thanks,
Is the glove box area open on the 5?

From VW info the biggest changes were in engine and electronics which aren't obvious to the eye. From memory I think VW quoted over 300 changes.

Recent prolonged conversion to air suspension caused lots of problems due to the agent finding that everything had changed on the T6 compared to the previous T5's that they had done.
These are all van related not California specific parts.

Thanks,
Is the glove box area open on the 5?
No. It has a good size glove box with a lid. On the other hand T6 that we have has the bog standard builders van dash with lots of useful cubby holes. You can spec the so called Comfort dash which blanks off some of these useful storage spaces and IMO makes it less useful but you do get a nice shiny glove box lid etc and some other tasty looking trim instead. This gives the whole thing a more luxurious and car like feel. Personally though, I prefer the more practical but business like cattle class dash.

Last edited:
[QbelieveOTE="Moakesy, post: 234781, member: 13734"]For me, the easiest way to spot the difference is the position of the indicator repeaters on the side of the vehicle, above the front wheel.

On the T5, they are half way between the top of the front wheel arch and the body line.
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/volkswagen/vw-t5-california-camper-2010-road-test/

On the T6, they are higher up, in the 'crease' of the body line.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/92295/volkswagen-california-t6-review-pictures#0[/QUOTE]
I believe that the flap over the fuel cap is bigger on the T6 to accommodate the Ad Blue filler.

Back