Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice before buying my first Cali?

simon parker

simon parker

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi, excited to join this forum in what I hope will be a long relationship with you guys and my future Cali.

I'm right now looking to buy a used California Ocean/SE. I know very little about them having only seen one so far which I still might buy and just got back from the Camping and Caravan show so now head full of custom builds. Which I think I'm discounting.

So I'm looking at a £45k 2015 T5 (I think, leather seats, seems everything on it), advertised on this website but should I try and get a T6? Would that be a better options if I can find one the right spec and mileage for that price. I gather the fuel consumption is better but not sure what else.

And what 'extras' are worth looking out for? To be honest the ones I've seen so far seem to have everything I can think of anyway, like a safe, rear cycle rack, parking sensors etc. Those are things I'd find useful to me. Thinking maybe I'd get a portapotty too (which and where from?) and hide that in the back behind the seats.

As I say I've never owned a camper before and its a lot of money to spend so like to be sure I'm looking for the right model. Back of my head still thinks look at custom builds, but heart says the Cali, if only for better residuals.

Thanks for any help and advice on my first purchase.

If the layout suits you then the Cali is a better bet than a conversion, and you will find that there is not so much difference in price once the base vehicle is specced up the same.

Subjectively there’s not much difference in feel between a T5 and a T6; trim changes, infotainment and minor cosmetic tweaks visually and of course changes under the bonnet as regards emissions etc. These don’t make the ownership experience much different but personally I would try and get a T6 for my money if possible. And a warranty is well worth paying a bit extra for as these are now complex vehicles which can be expensive to repair if something major goes wrong.

If you become a VIP on here you will be able to download a lot of useful information from the members area, including what to look out for and what equipment should be included with your new van.

Good luck in your search and welcome to the forum. :welcome

Welcome , as per above ....read the forum inside out , if you are commiting to a Cali might as well sign in as VIP money back in no time .
Also look at the Cali's for sale on the forum , no better place to buy as from here...

Yes the one I’ve seen and the one I’m going to see are both from the ‘calis for sale’ section of this website.

It’s considered bad form to comment negatively on the adverts here (as members have paid for them and they help fund the site) so I don’t know if your question will get the help it deserves.

Prices do seem very strong at the moment which is unavoidable if now is when you want to buy, but there is enough stock about to give you the data you need to work out which ones are over priced.

I went T5 to 6 and the ride seems significantly improved even though mechanically not much changed. The euro6 engine in the 6 should give your van a longer appeal and life, particularly to owners needing to visit cities where cleaner air zones are on the rise.

My advice would be to hire a Cali if you have never been away in one - especially for Mrs P’s benefit. It is different to tents and even a weekend away will help you decide on what features and must haves are important to you.
Most Vw van commercial centres will be hiring from May/June onwards just MHO and :welcome