Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 vs T6 - is there a year by year guide?

CampervanTime

CampervanTime

VIP Member
Vehicle
Westy Sven Hedin
Hi Everyone

Is there a year by year guide to the T5 and T6 California? I've seen a 2009 Cali for sale but I'm not sure what the standard spec would be for that age (SE 140 tdi), vs what you get on a new T6, for example.

Thanks

Guess you need to search a download of the 2009 brochure.

Or with Google:D

Hi Everyone

Is there a year by year guide to the T5 and T6 California? I've seen a 2009 Cali for sale but I'm not sure what the standard spec would be for that age (SE 140 tdi), vs what you get on a new T6, for example.

Thanks

The camping stuff is essentially the same, if you can get a T5.1 at least (Facelift in 2010)

VW don't really change much, it is kind of their business model, there isn't a massive amount of difference really.

Ones I can think of off the top of my head
  • Better roof canvas in T6
  • Slight styling change
  • Euro 6 engine on T6, euro 5 t5
  • Ad blu on t6.
  • Dashboards revamped
  • Newer stereo options inc carplay etc.

VW don't really change much, it is kind of their business model, there isn't a massive amount of difference really.

Ones I can think of off the top of my head
  • Better roof canvas in T6
  • Slight styling change
  • Euro 6 engine on T6, euro 5 t5
  • Ad blu on t6.
  • Dashboards revamped
  • Newer stereo options inc carplay etc.
Agree with the above plus t6 interior lighting in pop top and boot is an upgrade.

Ones I can think of:

Better roof canvas in T5.1 - the T6 is almost see through
No adblu on T5 = bigger fuel tank
Option for better lights in roof & tailgate for T6
2018 T6 has split cooker / sink lid
2018 T6 has lighting in the cupboards
Possibility of none swivelling seats in a T6 - check first
Different fabrics
Dashboard redesign
T6 150 is very very close to the performance of T5 180 without the maintenance issues of the twin turbo engines
Items like Cruise control were optional at times

99.9% of the general public would find it hard to spot the difference between a T5.1 and a T6

Climatronic 3 zone air con ,heated seats, DAB radio all standard in T6 Ocean.
Also love the adaptive cruise only in T6 (option).

You are more likely to see differences between T5s with how the original owners spec'd them at order than between the T5 and T6. I would check the current option list for things you want. Most have been available for some time so may be present on much older Cali's.

I guess there are also a few issues that got fixed along the way.

Early T5s had the gas strut for the fridge on the inside. This caused some issues with corrosion (imagine that on a Cali). There were also issues with Earth Shunts that would affect the diesel heating. Both were able to be fixed but something to look for with that age of Cali (Pre 5.1)

99.9% of the general public would find it hard to spot the difference between a T5.1 and a T6
The easiest way to tell them apart is the length of the fuel filler flap. Longer on a T6 because it covers both the fuel and AdBlu fillers.

The easiest way to tell them apart is the length of the fuel filler flap. Longer on a T6 because it covers both the fuel and AdBlu fillers.

I never noticed that! Easiest way for me is the position of the side repeater flashers, higher up on the T6 and flush with the swage line.

Thanks guys - really helpful stuff.

Lots of comments about trying to go for a T5.1 rather than a T5 - is there a reason specifically for that? Looks (ie the 5.1 looks like a T6?), engines? Trim/interior quality/fittings??

When did the new 150 engine start getting fitted? Did it get into a T5.1 or was it just the T6? Seems to be well liked by people

I never noticed that! Easiest way for me is the position of the side repeater flashers, higher up on the T6 and flush with the swage line.
Yes I look for that too. Also the T5 has side protection strips.

Thanks guys - really helpful stuff.

Lots of comments about trying to go for a T5.1 rather than a T5 - is there a reason specifically for that? Looks (ie the 5.1 looks like a T6?), engines? Trim/interior quality/fittings??

When did the new 150 engine start getting fitted? Did it get into a T5.1 or was it just the T6? Seems to be well liked by people

T5's were 130/174 (5cylinder) T5.1's were 140/180 and T6's are 150/204. Both 180 and 204 are twin turbo.

Back