Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 California Ocean (2021) Auxiliary heating - departure time

T

tweeks71

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
Hi,

I have had a cursory look through the threads about cali heating, so sorry if I have missed the answer...

First up, 'departure time', what a dumb ass name. Surely it should be 'heating come on' time or more meaningful.

According to the user manual and various 'youtube' research, If I set a 'departure time' of Monday 07:00am, then this is the time that the auxiliary heating should come on?

My heater works really well, when heating immediately, it also kinda works when setting the timer - sorry, 'departure time'. The problem is, when setting the 'departure time', the heater actually comes on 30-40 mins earlier - so, 06:30am for my example above.

Is this normal? Thanks in advance

(blue & yellow symbols come on as expected)

Hi,

I have had a cursory look through the threads about cali heating, so sorry if I have missed the answer...

First up, 'departure time', what a dumb ass name. Surely it should be 'heating come on' time or more meaningful.

According to the user manual and various 'youtube' research, If I set a 'departure time' of Monday 07:00am, then this is the time that the auxiliary heating should come on?

My heater works really well, when heating immediately, it also kinda works when setting the timer - sorry, 'departure time'. The problem is, when setting the 'departure time', the heater actually comes on 30-40 mins earlier - so, 06:30am for my example above.

Is this normal? Thanks in advance

(blue & yellow symbols come on as expected)
Sorry, I don't see the problem.
I wish to leave at 0700hrs in a warm vehicle that is defrosted.
I set the Departure time to 0700hrs. The heater automatically comes on 30 mins earlier, at 0630hrs, so that when I get in the vehicle at 0700hrs it is warmed up, defrosted and ready to go.
Isn't that what you want?

Welshgas

Thanks for the reply.

It would be really helpful if the manual explained the timing philosophy.

I guess the main reason I posted this, is to see if my heater is working correctly (as it’s designed to do) and of course to gauge how other California owners heaters are working. Does everyone have this 30 min delay?

Thanks

One of California Time's recent Youtube videos does a better job at explaining the heater than the manual does.

Thanks,

Just re-watched.

Chris says heater comes on AT departure time - not 30 minutes before. Just like the handbook.

I agree, a better description on the whole but I’m still none the wiser as to why my van thinks I need an extra 30 mins. Perhaps it’s just looking out for me!

Regards.

California Time is Will, so not California Chris. Best advice I’ve seen on the heater, but I’m not sure it answers your question.
Welsh Gas’ understanding above makes sense of course, but the manual seems to lack that explanation. I also wonder why it’s called ‘heat immediately’ when it is geared to a timer.
It all needs a common sense check.

66Tim99

I have seen this from Will, a really good description. Sounds like 'departure time' can be taken as 'heating comes on time' then.

Still baffled why I get the extra 30 mins..... Not the end of the world.

Thanks

Tony

Maybe set it to 7.30 if you want it to come on at 7.00??

Thats where i'm at....

Still curious to know if anyone else has the same experience. or do ALL other systems come on at 7.30, if SET to 7.30.

Back