Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 - Control panel issue due to low engine battery?

S

subthree

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
The following relates to my 6.1 Ocean - built late 2019 but only collected in July 2020 (covid) which has currently covered c. 13,000 miles.

So I recently bought a solar panel from Roger and didn't read the last page of the instructions about connecting the negative cable to earth, via the rear leisure battery restraining bolt, rather than directly to the negative post of the battery. :headbang Anyway, a couple of days after this schoolboy error the control panel showed the following message as per the attached photo. Negative cable from the Victron charger was reconnected correctly to the battery clamp bolt.

Searching on here I thought it might be an issue with the IBS. So I removed the IBS cable from the rear leisure battery and the problem seemed to be instantly resolved - happy days. However at the weekend the same thing again plus I also had "faults" displayed on the control panel for the roof and the water tank - big red warning triangles! I wondered whether the control panel faults might be due to the IBS on the front leisure battery so I disconnected the IBS but the faults remained. But then I tried to start the engine and absolutely nothing, apart from numerous "engine" and "driver assist" faults/warnings. Basically due to lack of regular use over the winter the engine battery was as dead as the proverbial dodo. I needed to jump start the van and took it for a spin for 40 minutes. An hour after returning all the control panel faults had cleared.

Today I received a Ring 806 battery charger. Connected it up and the engine battery showed just 12.6V. Seven hours later the engine battery is now at 14.6V. Control panel all good.

So my question...is the control panel powered by the ENGINE battery rather than the LEISURE batteries? If so, can a dead engine battery cause the control panel to show faults? If so, then that is good news as the engine battery is now charged and we can go away over Easter as happy bunnies! Thank you.

PXL_20220324_215631914.jpg

The following relates to my 6.1 Ocean - built late 2019 but only collected in July 2020 (covid) which has currently covered c. 13,000 miles.

So I recently bought a solar panel from Roger and didn't read the last page of the instructions about connecting the negative cable to earth, via the rear leisure battery restraining bolt, rather than directly to the negative post of the battery. :headbang Anyway, a couple of days after this schoolboy error the control panel showed the following message as per the attached photo. Negative cable from the Victron charger was reconnected correctly to the battery clamp bolt.

Searching on here I thought it might be an issue with the IBS. So I removed the IBS cable from the rear leisure battery and the problem seemed to be instantly resolved - happy days. However at the weekend the same thing again plus I also had "faults" displayed on the control panel for the roof and the water tank - big red warning triangles! I wondered whether the control panel faults might be due to the IBS on the front leisure battery so I disconnected the IBS but the faults remained. But then I tried to start the engine and absolutely nothing, apart from numerous "engine" and "driver assist" faults/warnings. Basically due to lack of regular use over the winter the engine battery was as dead as the proverbial dodo. I needed to jump start the van and took it for a spin for 40 minutes. An hour after returning all the control panel faults had cleared.

Today I received a Ring 806 battery charger. Connected it up and the engine battery showed just 12.6V. Seven hours later the engine battery is now at 14.6V. Control panel all good.

So my question...is the control panel powered by the ENGINE battery rather than the LEISURE batteries? If so, can a dead engine battery cause the control panel to show faults? If so, then that is good news as the engine battery is now charged and we can go away over Easter as happy bunnies! Thank you.

View attachment 91370
On previous models the Control Panel computer is powered by the Engine Battery. I can’t see the T6.1 being any different

Yes the control panel is powered from the engine battery on a T6.1 one way of resetting the panel rather than pulling fuses is just to disconnect the starter battery for a minute.

Back