Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hard reset of 6.1 control panel to “reset” battery status

Morsels

Morsels

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Had a config issue with solar panels and leisure batteries which I believe has confused the control panel (negative from solar panels was wired to rear leisure battery negative, not chassis earth).

Have located and fixed this, but control panel now thinks leisure batteries are flat (I am guessing as a result) and says “Battery flat. Charge now!”, and won’t let us access other panel functions to operate fridge, roof etc.

Trouble is that:

1. They’re not - they’re full
2. Running engine and putting on hookup doesn’t budge the warning (presumably because no charging is actually happening, because batteries are full)
3. Ignition on/off, driving it etc doesn’t help

We are on holiday so my idea is to leave it overnight with no load or charge on batteries, to see if the computer picks up that it has two perfectly fine batteries and recalibrate

But if it doesn’t, all I can think of is a hard reset. I am presuming disconnecting main van battery positive will do it, but is there an easier way? I have tried pulling fuses 5-8 and another fuse that @Loz kindly suggested, but no joy.

Any suggestions hugely welcomed, it is kinda spoiling our fun, and we have already had it in with VW who held it for two days, did a “software update”, but no joy (it worked when we got it back from them, but same think - I do think the root cause was the solar, now fixed).

Any suggestions hugely welcomed, it is kinda spoiling our fun, and we have already had it in with VW who held it for two days, did a “software update”, but no joy (it worked when we got it back from them, but same think - I do think the root cause was the solar, now fixed).
You could try unplug and replug the IBS (sensor) on each battery. Two pin plug connected to the negative clamp on each battery. It might take around four hours for the sensor to figure out the SOC and SOH.

Had a config issue with solar panels and leisure batteries which I believe has confused the control panel (negative from solar panels was wired to rear leisure battery negative, not chassis earth).

Have located and fixed this, but control panel now thinks leisure batteries are flat (I am guessing as a result) and says “Battery flat. Charge now!”, and won’t let us access other panel functions to operate fridge, roof etc.

Trouble is that:

2. Running engine and putting on hookup doesn’t budge the warning (presumably because no charging is actually happening, because batteries are full)

We are on holiday so my idea is to leave it overnight with no load or charge on batteries, to see if the computer picks up that it has two perfectly fine batteries and recalibrate

But if it doesn’t, all I can think of is a hard reset. I am presuming disconnecting main van battery positive will do it, but is there an easier way? I have tried pulling fuses 5-8 and another fuse that @Loz kindly suggested, but no joy.

Post in thread 'Help! Can’t charge leisure a battery'
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/help-can’t-charge-leisure-a-battery.41243/post-530791

It's likely the control panel does not hold the data you seek to reset. Here's the forward sensor, the aft one is depicted on the next page. Diagrams available in the resources section.

wd1.png

Thank you @yossarian and @Loz - so if I find those two sensors on the negative terminals of the rear and front batteries and disconnect them for four hours it should force a reset? Sorry for being slow on the uptake but never done this before and learning on the job…

Thank you @yossarian and @Loz - so if I find those two sensors on the negative terminals of the rear and front batteries and disconnect them for four hours it should force a reset? Sorry for being slow on the uptake but never done this before and learning on the job…
My understanding is disconnect, reconnect then wait up to 4 hours. I don't have the article to test here sadly.

Ah, got it. Thanks so much, Will try in the morning if the thing doesn’t do it on its own overnight.

Here is a document on a similar, hopefully representative, IBS, I've screenshot the connector that you can try disconnecting. In the IBS.pdf a similar problem is described as being a result of "blind charging".

ibs-disc.png

Attachments

• IBS.pdf
    500.7 KB · Views: 74

Trouble is that:

Hi, just have the same issue, how did you solve the problem ?

Hi, just have the same issue, how did you solve the problem ?
Crossposted.

Trouble is that:

Hi, I have the same problem but not with solar panels but with a lithium battery and ok a Beach camper 6.1. Leisure Battery full but control panel says batery flat….
Any idea?
Thanks!

Unplug the 2 pin plug from the sensor on negative post of the battery.

Wait 30 seconds or so.

Plug it back in.

Thaks Yossarian,
You mean this sensor,isn’t it?
It didn’t work

FE657768-3D4F-4A26-93F7-F0762A1EC150.jpeg

The panel shows this:
In fact it says that the battery is full (battery’s app in my phone says the same)

F0E9263F-256D-4AD7-A075-A7C55D6F8761.jpeg

Hi the easiest way to do it is to unplugged both batteries at the same time. Motor and the one under the site…then plug them again and you’ll be good to go !

Hi the easiest way to do it is to unplugged both batteries at the same time. Motor and the one under the site…then plug them again and you’ll be good to go !
@Jaume4 has a Beech Camper.

@Jaume4, according to the wiring diagram disconnecting the battery will not reset the sensor on two battery models. It's difficult to tell on the single battery models.

Alternative suggestions: wait a bit. It may take a little while for the sensor to reset.

Reset j608 by pulling the 4 fuses listed in the California manual.

Reset the control panel itself by pulling a 5a fuse under the LHS front seat.

Try reset the sensor again but while it is disconnected short the pins on the sensor to the battery negative (not the cable).

Last edited:

@Jaume4, according to the wiring diagram disconnecting the battery will not reset the sensor on two battery models. It's difficult to tell on the single battery models.

Alternative suggestions: wait a bit. It may take a little while for the sensor to reset.

Try reset the sensor again but while it is disconnected short the pins on the sensor to the battery negative (not the cable).
Wow!thanks,
I’m going to try all this.
What do you mean when you say “short the pins”?

“short the pins”?
In English that is to connect them together. But I didn't say that very well -- what you should do is connect the pin that the red wire goes into to the battery negative briefly with a wire making sure the plug is removed.

What this achieves is to discharge any remaining electrical energy in the sensor hopefully forcing it to reset.

It would be helpful to people in future to try and document which of these actions solves the problem.

Ah ok,
I’ll try and I will tell you a feedback,of course.
Thank you again,you’re very kind’

Thaks Yossarian,
You mean this sensor,isn’t it?
It didn’t work

View attachment 115186
Looking carefully at this I think you may have changed the battery for a lithium battery?
Have you adjusted the parameters on J608 accordingly? I suspect that if the sensor sees an impossible amount energy going into the battery it may go into an error state.

Looking carefully at this I think you may have changed the battery for a lithium battery?
Have you adjusted the parameters on J608 accordingly? I suspect that if the sensor sees an impossible amount energy going into the battery it may go into an error state.
Yes,it’s a lifepo4 but I have installed a booster

Well,
After some failed attempts and some kms driving,today I took out the fuses 5-8, disconneted battery sensor, reconnected fuses,and then connected battery sensor…and control pannel reset done!!!!
Now it marks me that the battery is full but the duration is 0 minutes…

Mine is a beach also..I don't know.

For me it works like a charm
One time with the standard battery and the other one with a lithium one

Hey @yossarian , what do you mean by adjust the parameters on J608? I assume you need something in the software has to be changed to account for a lithium battery. How is this done?

@Jaume would you mind please giving some details of what you did for the lithium battery install? Did you remove anything to install the DC DC charger? Did you have to change your EHU charger?

Thanks a lot!

Hey @yossarian , what do you mean by adjust the parameters on J608? I assume you need something in the software has to be changed to account for a lithium battery. How is this done?

@Jaume would you mind please giving some details of what you did for the lithium battery install? Did you remove anything to install the DC DC charger? Did you have to change your EHU charger?

Thanks a lot!
No, I didn’t take anything out.
I only add the boooster between the relé and the battery

Back