T6.1 discounts

Soton Campers

Soton Campers

Southampton Campers
VIP Member
Trade Advertiser
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all. Had an interesting chat with a customer who returned from hire and loved the California. He really did his research and hired a Marco Polo earlier in the year to ensure he was getting what suited him best. The California is for him! He's already gotten quotes and says dealers are already offering up to 10% off the T6.1 Ocean which really surprised me. For those that have ordered a T6.1 what has your experience been please?

Discounts are available, we have great deals on 4 new T6.1 please see are advert in the Cali's for sale section

Hi all. Had an interesting chat with a customer who returned from hire and loved the California. He really did his research and hired a Marco Polo earlier in the year to ensure he was getting what suited him best. The California is for him! He's already gotten quotes and says dealers are already offering up to 10% off the T6.1 Ocean which really surprised me. For those that have ordered a T6.1 what has your experience been please?

I can confirm this. Approx 10% achieved today.

Surely the 6.1 is a final facelift for the current body shape and core vehicle. It’s the final run before the new VW transporter platform will be implemented and the new California will he developed on.

Hence offers and discounts. Especially as no one is buying cars at the moment and diesel is massively out of fashion!

It's surprising to see the levels of discount on the new model. I was in Toyota dealer between Xmas and New Year and there was a 5 deep queue to see anyone from the sales team.
Is anyone able to present an analysis of how the costs of the new and 'old' model compare? I understand the 6.1 has many items considered extras on the 6.

It's surprising to see the levels of discount on the new model. I was in Toyota dealer between Xmas and New Year and there was a 5 deep queue to see anyone from the sales team.
Is anyone able to present an analysis of how the costs of the new and 'old' model compare? I understand the 6.1 has many items considered extras on the 6.

Hi

We had a T6 on order Sept 19 subsequently cancelled. options we spec'd I think were as follows:

met paint
alcantara upholstery
reversing camera and parking sensors
nav system
awning

List price before discount £63000 including options +£4482
Discounted OTR price agreed £56,035

New order T6.1 nav system, awning, rev camera, parking sensors all as standard as well as tinted windows and woodstock alloys not previously opted for.

new options chosen :

met paint
alcantara upholstery
heated front screen
storage compartment package
tyre pressure thing
4 x keys

List price before discount £66537 inc options at £2946
discounted OTR price £60,445 (inc VW contribution for finance of 1K)

hope this helps. We think the comparison on cost is very reasonable considering the upgrade and standard items now included.

Would you mind sharing which dealer please?

Good afternoon,

I toyed with the idea of an upgrade from the T6 Ocean (manual, FWD) to a T6.1 Ocean (DSG, FWD, extended warranty).

At the moment it seems that there are only very few VW California on the Irish market. Because of this I thought the trade-in value of my van would be quite good.

Before Christmas I spoke to my (trusted) VW dealer salesman. I made a list with the specification and the cost of the new vehicle (kept the extras reasonable). When we spoke about the cost it seems that I would have to pay another EUR 30.000 on top of the trade-in to upgrade from T6 to T6.1. :oops: :headbang

I looks like that I am not very good in price negotiations, but there is not a single Euro in discount in Ireland for a California (so it looks to me).

Seeing your information now makes me a bit jealous.

Regards,
Eberhard

Don't get me wrong, I think the dash and digital control panel are a huge step forward.

But that grill...

1578663180346.png

It's going to take my eyes a couple of years to get used to that.

It's a similar feeling to the early T5. It just wasn't quite right and still looks wrong years later.

1578664195978.png

Hopefully they'll tone it down with the 6.2 or 7.

I'd wait until the hybrid/electric tech is more mature. That might be worth another 30k...

Good afternoon,

I must admit I like the new design.

2x years before we bought our van I watched all Youtube videos about the California (really I did). I read everything that I could get my fingers on. At this time I never thought that we will buy one.

2 1/2 years ago our VW dealer had a pre-registered Ocean on offer. This van ticket almost all boxes, except it was manual instead of DSG (which I had on the Tiguan and loved it). But at the time there where only a few pre-registered Californias on the Irish market, which were all minimum EUR 8,000 dearer (unreal).

My wife and I spoke about it and said either we go for the manual one or not at all. So we went for the manual one and we didn't regret it.

My reason to wish for upgrade are:
  • Get the van with DSG
  • I like the new design
  • I love the new dashboard
  • I like the new setup to use the build in radio in camping mode (power from the leisure batteries)
  • Better windscreen blind design (If that is the truth I don't know. I will see in in Birmingham)
  • I like the new camping display
  • I love the new back lights
  • The specs of the T6.1 Ocean is higher, better than 2 1/2 years ago
  • Add additional 2 years VW warranty
  • Get the tow bar
  • Digital Radio
  • 80 L tank
  • Parking Sensors (of course with camera)
I wouldn't change the colour, the engine 150 HP engine, or the wheels. I was hoping to get away with EUR 10.000 (max). :sad

A dream would be 4motion, but that is only available with the big engine. The cost of the California Ocean, 199 HP, DSG and 4motion is simply in sane.

If I finally make up my mind to keep the T6 I try to change a few things:

• Park sensors at the front
  • Tow bar (VW installed)
But even that will be at least EUR 2.000.

Regards,
Eberhard

Good afternoon,

Yes I do too. Tbh I do like the fully chromed front ends to the T6 too. Both look quite smart. Not too sure on the new frontend where the black plastic grill dominates. Too much black I'd say. Is that the coast frontend?

Some interesting 2-tone combinations also.The silver with Fortana Red bottom half looks quite distinguished.

Don't get me wrong, I think the dash and digital control panel are a huge step forward.

But that grill..
Bigger grills are all the fashion, look at the latest BMW and Lexus offerings. In contrast, Tesla! :D

Good afternoon,

I toyed with the idea of an upgrade from the T6 Ocean (manual, FWD) to a T6.1 Ocean (DSG, FWD, extended warranty).

At the moment it seems that there are only very few VW California on the Irish market. Because of this I thought the trade-in value of my van would be quite good.

Before Christmas I spoke to my (trusted) VW dealer salesman. I made a list with the specification and the cost of the new vehicle (kept the extras reasonable). When we spoke about the cost it seems that I would have to pay another EUR 30.000 on top of the trade-in to upgrade from T6 to T6.1. :oops: :headbang

I looks like that I am not very good in price negotiations, but there is not a single Euro in discount in Ireland for a California (so it looks to me).

Regards,
Eberhard
I wonder what exchange rate VW factored into their UK pricing an how much leeway they now have as a result?

Hi

We had a T6 on order Sept 19 subsequently cancelled. options we spec'd I think were as follows:

met paint
alcantara upholstery
reversing camera and parking sensors
nav system
awning

List price before discount £63000 including options *+£4482
Discounted OTR price agreed £56,035

New order T6.1 nav system, awning, rev camera, parking sensors all as standard as well as tinted windows and woodstock alloys not previously opted for.

new options chosen :

met paint
alcantara upholstery
heated front screen
storage compartment package
tyre pressure thing
4 x keys

List price before discount £66537 inc options at £2946
discounted OTR price £60,445 (inc VW contribution for finance of 1K)

hope this helps. We think the comparison on cost is very reasonable considering the upgrade and standard items now included.
Fantastic news that you have ordered, well done! Have you been given a confirmed build week?

Good afternoon,

2x years before we bought our van I watched all Youtube videos about the California (really I did). I read everything that I could get my fingers on. At this time I never thought that we will buy one.

2 1/2 years ago our VW dealer had a pre-registered Ocean on offer. This van ticket almost all boxes, except it was manual instead of DSG (which I had on the Tiguan and loved it). But at the time there where only a few pre-registered Californias on the Irish market, which were all minimum EUR 8,000 dearer (unreal).

My wife and I spoke about it and said either we go for the manual one or not at all. So we went for the manual one and we didn't regret it.

My reason to wish for upgrade are:
  • Get the van with DSG
  • I like the new design
  • I love the new dashboard
  • I like the new setup to use the build in radio in camping mode (power from the leisure batteries)
  • Better windscreen blind design (If that is the truth I don't know. I will see in in Birmingham)
  • I like the new camping display
  • I love the new back lights
  • The specs of the T6.1 Ocean is higher, better than 2 1/2 years ago
  • Add additional 2 years VW warranty
  • Get the tow bar
  • Digital Radio
  • 80 L tank
  • Parking Sensors (of course with camera)
I wouldn't change the colour, the engine 150 HP engine, or the wheels. I was hoping to get away with EUR 10.000 (max). :sad

A dream would be 4motion, but that is only available with the big engine. The cost of the California Ocean, 199 HP, DSG and 4motion is simply in sane.

If I finally make up my mind to keep the T6 I try to change a few things:

• Park sensors at the front
  • Tow bar (VW installed)
But even that will be at least EUR 2.000.

Regards,
Eberhard
[/QU
Fantastic news that you have ordered, well done! Have you been given a confirmed build week?
no. dealer advised that would be given an unconfirmed build week within a fortnight I think, v exciting, and be great to have for middle of march but maybe thats optimistic?

I assessed that, compared to the T6, the materials used on the dashboard and doorpanels of the T6.1 take a step backwards: much more hard plastic is used. Storage is limited and less practical and no more lids on the storage compartiments, pe. glove box and on top of the dashboard. Quite annoying if your belongings, maybe valuable object are exposed when parking.
Despite the more modern look in the T6.1, I prefer the dashbaord of my T6.

I had a good look at the dash on a 6.1 panel van the other day. I hope the one in the Cali is a lot better.

no. dealer advised that would be given an unconfirmed build week within a fortnight I think, v exciting, and be great to have for middle of march but maybe thats optimistic?
Dealer said middle of March, or that is your hope?

I had a good look at the dash on a 6.1 panel van the other day. I hope the one in the Cali is a lot better.
On the T6, there was quite a difference between the dash in the "van" and higher trims, such as the "California". (even between the "Beach" and the "Ocean"). In the T6.1 the dashboard is the same in all models, apart from a few details, like the use of some more glossy ornaments.

Good afternoon,

Regards,
Eberhard
Hi Eberhard,

Do you mind if I ask how much the dealer was going to allow you for your T6 on a trade in?

Thanks
Mark

Dealer said middle of March, or that is your hope?
that's just me. I have a journey planned up country and would love to be able to take the Cali. thinking about it though, 9 weeks away and might be unrealistic to wish for.

Bigger grills are all the fashion, look at the latest BMW and Lexus offerings. In contrast, Tesla! :D
Big grills are seen as a status symbol by the Chinese that is why so many manufactures are fitting them. IMHO I think they look ridiculous including the one on the T6.1.

Hi Eberhard,

Do you mind if I ask how much the dealer was going to allow you for your T6 on a trade in?

Thanks
Mark

Good evening Mark,

I did send the VW dealer a list of my preferred configuration for the new T6.1 and deducted EUR 50.000 for the trade-in.

The price was an assumption based on the km driven, specification, condition and the price I payed for it 2.5 years agon (by the way, from the same dealer).

The VW dealer got back to me confirming that my calculation was not too far off.

Looking back 2.5 years ago I did not get any discount for the T6. Have I said that it was a pre-registered van (with just 123 km on the clock) for a price I couldn't complain.

I believe that if I manage to get the money from somewhere and start serious negotiations the figures will be a bit better. I might get EUR 5,000 more for my T6. But even than (please don't understand me wrong) but even EUR 5.000 more trade-in leaves me with aditional EUR 25.000. For that kind of money you get a new car (even from VW).

On CarZone I saw yesterday a T6.1, 150 HP, DSG, Ocean, two colours for EUR 81.000. Hello! It is a camper van from VW and not a Bently! But on the other side, at the momet it seems to me that there are not a lot of T6 California on offer in Ireland and T6.1 have an insage price tag. But to be fair, the standard specification is a bit higher than in the past.

Best of luck looking for a California. Do you plan to get an used T6 Beach, Coast or Ocean? Do you plan to by new? In what corner do you you live? The more VW dealers are around you, the higher the cances to shop around?

Regards,
Eberhard

A friend of ours runs a airport minibus service in the West of Ireland and regularly travels to England to purchase his vehicles as he says it is far cheaper than buying in Ireland. Is this something you have considered? You could maybe combine a trip with a purchase from a UK dealer. I don't know how exchange rates and import duties affect this and whether it would be any cheaper for you?

Back