Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 Ocean | To Palmerston or not to Palmerston?

Aca_chap

Aca_chap

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi all

I’m about to order our family T6.1 ocean in grey and I’m considering either the 17” Davenports or the 18” Palmerstons.

Does anybody knows if the suspension will struggle to deal with the larger wheel? Comfort is my absolute priority on longer trips so tyre noise / suspension clatters would put me off this wheel.

I think they look quite smart however with two small children I don’t want to buy something that’s going to ruin the ride.

Many thanks and all the best

Hi,
We have Palmerston’s on our T6.1 but had the dealer lower it before we took delivery. We are more than happy with the handling and ride.

Hi all

I’m about to order our family T6.1 ocean in grey and I’m considering either the 17” Davenports or the 18” Palmerstons.

Does anybody knows if the suspension will struggle to deal with the larger wheel? Comfort is my absolute priority on longer trips so tyre noise / suspension clatters would put me off this wheel.

I think they look quite smart however with two small children I don’t want to buy something that’s going to ruin the ride.

I too have these Palmerston wheels and had the van dropped 30mm by the dealer using VW springs prior to handover. Ride excellent not hard. Holds well around bends very happy with it and the looks. Because it was lowered removed my selection of factory mud guards , instead fitted shorties myself ( 15 minute job no drilling). Read other forum comments from buyers who wished they had bought the Palmerstons and you will know what to do.

Attachments

• 7AD9AE18-7313-4639-A05D-EB84A027E3DA.jpeg
    7AD9AE18-7313-4639-A05D-EB84A027E3DA.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 68107E04-878C-4FC3-8C64-45B736033257.jpeg
    68107E04-878C-4FC3-8C64-45B736033257.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 90
Hi all

Agree Palmerston’s look great, and the wheels maketh the van. You could add DCC to soften the ride (comfort setting) or firm it up for the hairpins (sport) if you’re concerned.

Agree Palmerston’s look great, and the wheels maketh the van. You could add DCC to soften the ride (comfort setting) or firm it up for the hairpins (sport) if you’re concerned.
Hi thanks for this. I was thinking of
DCC as we rate it on our Q7 but I always thought that was good because of the air suspension. Does the DCC in comfort mode add considerably to the softening of bumps?

I wouldn’t have any use for sport mode!

Cheers and all the best

I too have these Palmerston wheels and had the van dropped 30mm by the dealer using VW springs prior to handover. Ride excellent not hard. Holds well around bends very happy with it and the looks. Because it was lowered removed my selection of factory mud guards , instead fitted shorties myself ( 15 minute job no drilling). Read other forum comments from buyers who wished they had bought the Palmerstons and you will know what to do.
Thanks, Eva. Your van looks great and I like the alloys. We were tossing up that colour or just the darker shade of grey - iridium I think its called. Has anyone seen a picture of a 6.1 in that grey with davenports and palmerstons? I’m sadly not cool enough to carry off that lovely orange!
Cheers and all the best

I have Palmerstons on standard ride height and the ride is fine, Not harsh or crashy at all.

Attachments

• 20201212_144308.jpg
    20201212_144308.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 82
Hi thanks for this. I was thinking of
DCC as we rate it on our Q7 but I always thought that was good because of the air suspension. Does the DCC in comfort mode add considerably to the softening of bumps?

I wouldn’t have any use for sport mode!

Cheers and all the best
I haven't driven one with it, and didn't originally spec it because I couldn't see the purpose in a cruisey campervan. But I added it to my spec (delivery due in March/April) after I read so much about the ride, which is a common complaint about heavy Californias. I've heard only good things about DCC on this forum (admittedly from people who have spent money on it, so there may be confirmation bias), though suspension aficionado's swear by instead changing the factory shocks and springs. Comfort mode does soften the ride considerably apparently, on eg motorways and around town at low speeds with potholes. And hardening up the ride ('sport' might have been better titled?!) for twisty roads helps prevent body roll, a common complaint that can be further improved by upgrading the anti-roll bars. So I think you might find you do have a use for Sport mode...
On the colour/wheel combination, I have a mate in the car industry who always orders his own new cars with the combination in the brochures that year. His thinking is that there is a PR team considering how to make the vehicle look as good as possible, and running options past focus groups/workshops, (and encouraging customers to aspire to cost options!). Palmersons with two-tone bronze are going to be a classic in my view.

Ocen Palmerston (2).png

Last edited:
I would order with 17" wheels with a spare & buy the Palmerstons separately, for about the same as VW charge just for the upgrade.
I would get the 17" with all weather tyres & use them for the winter in the hope of preserving the diamond cut finish of the palmerstons for as long as possible.

Thanks, Eva. Your van looks great and I like the alloys. We were tossing up that colour or just the darker shade of grey - iridium I think its called. Has anyone seen a picture of a 6.1 in that grey with davenports and palmerstons? I’m sadly not cool enough to carry off that lovely orange!
Cheers and all the best

Good idea Andy. Note to all forum members to look for gems like this before you order your van. Get the Palmerston via German seller for the best price.

If I had read this posting I would have gone this route. As it is I am waiting to finish 25 k miles before buying the cross climates. But in the mean time need to buy a carrier and 235/35 17 inch spare so extra cost to me , route above would avoid.

Top tip

I have Palmerstons on standard ride height and the ride is fine, Not harsh or crashy at all.
Looks good Zooks....that’s i have ordered the same colour and wheels.....wonder if it will ever be delivered.!!

Hi all

No spare wheel with the 18" wheels.

I haven't driven one with it, and didn't spec it because I couldn't see the purpose in a cruisey campervan. But I added it to my spec (delivery March/April) after I read so much about the ride, which is a common complaint about heavy Californias. I've heard only good things about DCC on this forum (admittedly from people who have spent money on it, so there may be confirmation bias), though suspension aficionado's swear by changing the shocks and springs. Comfort mode does soften the ride considerably apparently, on eg motorways and around town at low speeds with potholes. And hardening up the ride ('sport' might have been better titled?!) for twisty roads helps prevent body roll, a common complaint that can be further improved by upgrading the anti-roll bars. So I think you might find you do have a use for Sport mode...
On the colour/wheel combination, I have a mate in the car industry who always orders his own new cars with the combination in the brochures that year. His thinking is that there is a PR team considering how to make the vehicle look as good as possible, and running options past focus groups/workshops, (and encouraging customers to aspire to cost options!). Palmersons with two-tone bronze are going to be a classic in my view.
Tim thanks for taking the time to write that - it’s really cogent and logical narrative to consider. On the DCC if I can soften the pot holes I may get it - Do you have any links to good reviews of that?
On the colour point I was worried about how that may age. Grey is always safe and I’m a boring accountant that’s risk . Interesting about he focus groups tho so I may give it a closer look. Thanks for your view - I’m going to think long and hard
I would order with 17" wheels with a spare & buy the Palmerstons separately, for about the same as VW charge just for the upgrade.
I would get the 17" with all weather tyres & use them for the winter in the hope of preserving the diamond cut finish of the palmerstons for as long as possible.
This is fab advice thanks for this. Should I get the palmerstons from “original radar” in Germany? Thank you so much !

If you do go the 17" wheel route and then add the 18" Palmerston wheels at a later date be aware that there are now Cloned versions on the market. These can be identified by the word 'Style' in the description. They will look the same but the alloy quality will not equal original VW supplied ones.

Buying from Germany may not be so simple or relatively cheap now with the Customs procedures now in place.

Tim thanks for taking the time to write that - it’s really cogent and logical narrative to consider. On the DCC if I can soften the pot holes I may get it - Do you have any links to good reviews of that?
On the colour point I was worried about how that may age. Grey is always safe and I’m a boring accountant that’s risk . Interesting about he focus groups tho so I may give it a closer look. Thanks for your view - I’m going to think long and hard

This is fab advice thanks for this. Should I get the palmerstons from “original radar” in Germany? Thank you so much !

Might be worth asking your dealer how much they would do a set for.

I've ordered Ascot Grey too! I loved it when I saw it at the dealer, and couldn't face £2800 on two tone (so spent it on the Sports package instead!). Here's a link to a DCC comment. I haven't seen a proper review of it but there are positive comments dotted around on this forum. Try typing DCC into the search function and have a cruise around. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/driving-profile-option.34949/post-423704

I've ordered Ascot Grey too! I loved it when I saw it at the dealer, and couldn't face £2800 on two tone (so spent it on the Sports package instead!). Here's a link to a DCC comment. I haven't seen a proper review of it but there are positive comments dotted around on this forum. Try typing DCC into the search function and have a cruise around. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/driving-profile-option.34949/post-423704
Great thanks Tim. Alas I’m not cool enough for the ascot shade it’s the dull darker shade for me. Thanks for much for your help. All the best

Back