Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 Tow Bar Prep Wiring

T

theosmonds

Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hi all, We ordered our Ocean with towbar prep and last week had the vehicle booked in with VW to have a detachable towbar fitted. Picked it up on Friday and tested it over the weekend, only to find the side lights weren't working on the offside. Purchased a tester so I could rule out the new XT3 bike rack which tested fine. Connected tester to the Cali and it also displayed a fault on the side lights confirming the issue.
Took it back to VW yesterday and today I'm told that there is indeed a fault (not sure why this wasn't picked up when fitting) and it's to do with different connectors in the T6.1 and the wiring loom they used wasn't compatible. Apparently they've been on the phone to the technical department to work out a solution (unclear whether that was Westfalia or VW technical dept) and now have parts on order.
I've never know such a faff for something that I thought would be fairly straight forward with the towbar prep in place. So we're off to collect it today as need the vehicle for a trip away (minus towbar) and will be taking it back later in the month to let them finish the job when the parts arrive. In all 220 wasted miles and a bill for £880 including vat.
Has anyone else with a T6.1 had a similar issue with 'different connectors'? I'd assumed the wiring loom would be a standard bit of kit for the vehicle.

Hi all, We ordered our Ocean with towbar prep and last week had the vehicle booked in with VW to have a detachable towbar fitted. Picked it up on Friday and tested it over the weekend, only to find the side lights weren't working on the offside. Purchased a tester so I could rule out the new XT3 bike rack which tested fine. Connected tester to the Cali and it also displayed a fault on the side lights confirming the issue.
Took it back to VW yesterday and today I'm told that there is indeed a fault (not sure why this wasn't picked up when fitting) and it's to do with different connectors in the T6.1 and the wiring loom they used wasn't compatible. Apparently they've been on the phone to the technical department to work out a solution (unclear whether that was Westfalia or VW technical dept) and now have parts on order.
I've never know such a faff for something that I thought would be fairly straight forward with the towbar prep in place. So we're off to collect it today as need the vehicle for a trip away (minus towbar) and will be taking it back later in the month to let them finish the job when the parts arrive. In all 220 wasted miles and a bill for £880 including vat.
Has anyone else with a T6.1 had a similar issue with 'different connectors'? I'd assumed the wiring loom would be a standard bit of kit for the vehicle.
The factory seems to manage OK. If they have changed the wiring connectors then it means the Dealer used the wrong wiring loom.

The factory seems to manage OK. If they have changed the wiring connectors then it means the Dealer used the wrong wiring loom.
yeah certainly seems like that could be the case.
Checking PF Jones website and their wiring looms for the T6 and T6.1 with TBP are the same part number and actually says works with T6 and T6.1. That's their own brand mind you so may be different than the Westfalia ones. It'll be interesting to hear what they have to say when I pick up later!