Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 - annoying knocking noise

BarryC

BarryC

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Anyone else had this problem? Going over a bump there's a knocking noise over drivers right shoulder. I thought it might be the in-door table but my rear passenger said definitely not from there and suggested it might be coming from the awning?

The awning does make a lot of noise if not wound in tight, but it's more of a rattle than a knock. The first time I heard it I was worried the glass was loose in the drivers door!

There are a quite a few other threads on awning rattles so it's worth having a search.

I had a similar rattle/knock after I picked up our T6. I traced that rattle to the awning arms knocking against the casing. After reading a post about how it is possible to adjust these arms by loosening/tightening the upper nylock nuts on the vehicle end fitting I managed to cure it. What I discovered is that when retracted the arms need to come in contact with the four little rubber buffer pads in the centre inside of the casing. They are presumable there to kill this sort of knocking. I have just done a quick search for the post but cannot locate it at present. It was posted by either Daveyboydanger or Rhyddin who had worked on this issue together.
The awning can also work loose and rattle. Just a quick nip on the winding handle will cure it but don't apply a lot of pressure as you may strip the nylon gears inside the awning gearbox.

I had a similar rattle/knock after I picked up our T6. I traced that rattle to the awning arms knocking against the casing. After reading a post about how it is possible to adjust these arms by loosening/tightening the upper nylock nuts on the vehicle end fitting I managed to cure it. What I discovered is that when retracted the arms need to come in contact with the four little rubber buffer pads in the centre inside of the casing. They are presumable there to kill this sort of knocking. I have just done a quick search for the post but cannot locate it at present. It was posted by either Daveyboydanger or Rhyddin who had worked on this issue together.
The awning can also work loose and rattle. Just a quick nip on the winding handle will cure it but don't apply a lot of pressure as you may strip the nylon gears inside the awning gearbox.
Thanks Boris - I'll search for that thread and look into it

Back