Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 beach 150 manual running rough at idle when cold

Y

Yorkdubshire

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Been noticing this for a few weeks now. It takes a a few extra cranks to fire up and when it does it sounds and feel like a cylinder isn't firing correctly. Completely different story when up to temp. Fires up quickly and ticks over nicely. I have contacted the dealer and booked it in for a few days so they can investigate it. At first I thought a glow plug/coil down but this wouldn't cause the rough running just poor at starting. Also it doesn't produce any concerning exhaust output. Anybody had anything like this? :sad

The computer will delay turning over the engine until the glo plug light has turned off in cold weather. The colder it is the longer the delay. Mine is currently delaying by about 2 seconds (it's in a garage) and doesn't do so at all in the summer

This may well be the start delay you are experiencing, but the rough running is definitely a problem the dealer needs to sort out.

Alan

That new T6 engine scares the living daylights out of me. I am very much on the fence and taking a keen interest how reliable it will be. Only time will tell, but watching with interest.
I hope Volkswagen sort it for you:thumb

Must have been some poor diesel. I haven't had it for a week now, and we have had some colder mornings. Am due to take it in next week so will still do that to see if any fault codes have been logged. Could be so may things that cause this fault but I guess when I heard the clip clopping of hoofs I instantly thought zebra rather then the more common horse. ;) Should know better!

Must have been some poor diesel. I haven't had it for a week now, and we have had some colder mornings. Am due to take it in next week so will still do that to see if any fault codes have been logged. Could be so may things that cause this fault but I guess when I heard the clip clopping of hoofs I instantly thought zebra rather then the more common horse. ;) Should know better!
If it is that sensitive to Diesel quality then I would be wary taking it abroad!

But being serious, poor quality diesel is very rare nowadays, not that it is impossible.:thumb

If it is that sensitive to Diesel quality then I would be wary taking it abroad!

But being serious, poor quality diesel is very rare nowadays, not that it is impossible.:thumb
Only guessing at the whole thing until it goes in. Poor diesel was the only thing I could think that would cause these issues and then go away without anything being touched. Will post up what the dealer comes back with if anything. :thumb

I had trouble with my previous T5 (two and a half years old and just over 3 years old when they quoted I needed a new engine)
and Volkswagen blamed poor diesel. Generally pointing a finger at supermarket diesel.
With my latest Beach I have only used Shell, unless I'm abroad and it's a case of what ever I can find. So far I haven't had any kind of engine or bad running issues, and zero DPF problems.
I am only just over 3 years running this vehicle and 30k miles but as I intent keeping long term it will be interesting to see how things go

Presumably you're just using normal shell and not vpower diesel?

I've spent the last 10 years running my Subaru on vpower petrol, and figured with the Cali I could just chuck any old diesel In but perhaps not! I might stick to shell too

I had trouble with my previous T5 (two and a half years old and just over 3 years old when they quoted I needed a new engine)
and Volkswagen blamed poor diesel. Generally pointing a finger at supermarket diesel.
With my latest Beach I have only used Shell, unless I'm abroad and it's a case of what ever I can find. So far I haven't had any kind of engine or bad running issues, and zero DPF problems.
I am only just over 3 years running this vehicle and 30k miles but as I intent keeping long term it will be interesting to see how things go
Interesting. What was the problem that required a replacement engine?

Not saying this has caused my problem but this is an article on bio diesel additives in cold weather.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...0511156/Motorists-warned-over-bad-diesel.html
I can see that being a possible problem with the California SE/Ocean that is the 3rd vehicle, not used over winter or just for holidays that stands around with diesel in the tank for months on end.
Mind you that article is over 3 years old and I don't recollect any news stories this winter relating to this problem.

Diesel is just a fractional distallate of crude oil. There is no difference between the supermarket diesel and the diesel from the big name garages. It all comes from the same refineries. I've watched the Shell, ASDA, Tesco and BP tankers all loading up from the same bulk tank at the refinery then heading off to their respective retail outlets. The only differences are in some additives used in an attempt to create premium branding like Ultra Diesel or such like.

I can see that being a possible problem with the California SE/Ocean that is the 3rd vehicle, not used over winter or just for holidays that stands around with diesel in the tank for months on end.
Mind you that article is over 3 years old and I don't recollect any news stories this winter relating to this problem.
Think I heard more recently of some Kia's in Scotland having troubles with this problem, with Kia being particularly unhelpful. Iirc they had an upgraded filter housing with some sort of Heating system around the filter but Kia either wouldn't pay for the upgrade or was only putting so much money to it?! Not sure what would be the best bet for wintering up an SE or ocean, keep em in a garage!?
Edit. Its coming back to me, I saw it on some day time TV show perhaps don't get done get Dom, so it must be true ;)

Last edited:
Diesel is just a fractional distallate of crude oil. There is no difference between the supermarket diesel and the diesel from the big name garages. It all comes from the same refineries. I've watched the Shell, ASDA, Tesco and BP tankers all loading up from the same bulk tank at the refinery then heading off to their respective retail outlets. The only differences are in some additives used in an attempt to create premium branding like Ultra Diesel or such like.
Before buying our Cali 180 last year I did some research on this and discovered exactly what you have stated. The only difference between the supermaket diesel and that offered by the premium brands is the additive package. Having read further into this the conclusions from various sources were not that clear. However quite a few articles seemed to suggest that these additive did keep the engine internals cleaner and with the previously reported problems with DPFs that has to be a good thing. It was also stated in some of these articles that diesel with these aditives can give better mpg.
Now whether this is true or not I do not know at present however since buying our Cali I have used only BP Utimate diesel. Whether this is wise or just a waste of money I don't know. Only time will tell.

Last edited:
Presumably you're just using normal shell and not vpower diesel?

I've spent the last 10 years running my Subaru on vpower petrol, and figured with the Cali I could just chuck any old diesel In but perhaps not! I might stick to shell too
Usually the Vpower stuff

Interesting. What was the problem that required a replacement engine?

I can't remember exactly.
But something to do with cylinder head scoring. The van had trouble starting when the engine was warm and they said compression was down as the engine got to normal working temperature.

I had a lot of arguments with VWCS, but it ended with them refusing to do anything and I had them put everything back together and then sold the vehicle to a friend of a friend who was a mechanic. Fortunately because of the work I had done to the van, he was happy to take a gamble and I wasn't really out of pocket.

I don't know what the final outcome ever was...???

I can't remember exactly.
But something to do with cylinder head scoring. The van had trouble starting when the engine was warm and they said compression was down as the engine got to normal working temperature.

I had a lot of arguments with VWCS, but it ended with them refusing to do anything and I had them put everything back together and then sold the vehicle to a friend of a friend who was a mechanic. Fortunately because of the work I had done to the van, he was happy to take a gamble and I wasn't really out of pocket.

I don't know what the final outcome ever was...???
Now you really do deserve the VW loyalty bonus. For all the vehicles I have bought off them and how much I rate them, I wouldn't buy another if I ever have an experience like that!

Shell diesel here also but not the Vpower. Vpower or a similar for the motorbike as the difference is noticeable and the fuel hangs around in the tank a lot longer