Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coolant heater running when parked.

Skewif

Skewif

It’s not what you have, it's where you wake up.
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
On approaching the van that had been parked for several days I could hear what sounded like the coolant heater trying to fire up. The heater burner motor was running constantly then pausing for half a second every minute or so before repeating. It was not firing up. The weather was warm and the van was locked. Pulled the fuse to stop it running the battery down. Anyone had anything like this?

On approaching the van that had been parked for several days I could hear what sounded like the coolant heater trying to fire up. The heater burner motor was running constantly then pausing for half a second every minute or so before repeating. It was not firing up. The weather was warm and the van was locked. Pulled the fuse to stop it running the battery down. Anyone had anything like this?
Coolant Heater? Do you mean the auxiliary diesel heater?

If the latter, have you checked that the auxiliary heater is not switched on, on the control panel?

Last edited:
was it making the noise before you unlocked the van or did unlocking start it?

was it making the noise before you unlocked the van or did unlocking start it?
It was I believe running as I approached. Though can't be sure at what point I unlocked the doors. The engine coolant heater should only run at below 5 deg and only when the engine is running so was surprised to hear it.

Coolant Heater? Do you mean the auxiliary diesel heater?

If the latter, have you checked that the auxiliary heater is not switched on, on the control panel?
Thank you. It was the engine coolant heater that was running, or trying to.

Thank you. It was the engine coolant heater that was running, or trying to.
Ahh very strange. As the temperature is well above 5deg presently.

I'd be tempted to get some diagnostics plugged in to identify any error codes.

To me this feels like a sensor that has gone. Diagnostics should confirm.

The coolant heater should only run when the ignition is switch on and temp is below 5 deg C.

what makes you think it was the coolant heater ? & not the Auxiliary cab (night) heater ?

The coolant heater should only run when the ignition is switch on and temp is below 5 deg C.

what makes you think it was the coolant heater ? & not the Auxiliary cab (night) heater ?
Defo the Coolant heater as is on the left under the passenger seat (RHD) and makes a different noise from the aux heater on the right hand side.

Defo the Coolant heater as is on the left under the passenger seat (RHD) and makes a different noise from the aux heater on the right hand side.
Do you have the remote retro fit for the coolant heater ? (does away with the auto start at less than five degrees C)

Just standard I believe. Has only ever run below 5 deg.

Just standard I believe. Has only ever run below 5 deg.
If it's standard then it needs two false sensor readings ( temp and engine running) to fire up. More likely is that for some reason it's internal firmware thinks firing up is what is required.

Have you checked the physical wiring to the heater?

There are lots of reports on here of mice/rats/foxes eating wiring.

Back