Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning and UK weather

theonecraw

theonecraw

aka Rioja
Vehicle
Cali now sold
From my many years of camping I have learnt some important lessons. Most beneficial of all is that whenever we have taken the tents down in the rain or when they are wet we have always repitched them again in the garden when we got home and only packed them away once they are totally dry.

Some questions about the Cali awning and 'UK' weather:
Q1. Is it waterproof? Can you sit underneath it in the rain and stay dry?
Q2. Can you pack it away wet without causing it any damage? How long do they take to dry out?
Q3. Any other useful awning tips?
Q4. What do you do with wet jackets, over-trousers, boots and dogs after a wet and muddy hike?

From my many years of camping I have learnt some important lessons. Most beneficial of all is that whenever we have taken the tents down in the rain or when they are wet we have always repitched them again in the garden when we got home and only packed them away once they are totally dry.

Some questions about the Cali awning and 'UK' weather:
Q1. Is it waterproof? Can you sit underneath it in the rain and stay dry?
Q2. Can you pack it away wet without causing it any damage? How long do they take to dry out?
Q3. Any other useful awning tips?
Q4. What do you do with wet jackets, over-trousers, boots and dogs after a wet and muddy hike?
1. Yes & Yes
2. Yes. Not long if the weather is dry and breezy.
3. If parked under trees make sure the top surface has no leaves or twigs on it when winding in. Beware of the spring season. Lots of trees drop sap.
4. If using the awning when raining then fit some sort of line across the centre and hang wet clothes there. Should be protected from side rain . Black bags for trip home.

Make sure you use some tie down guy ropes and peg the poles down in windy weather.

I use a cheap storm awning for winter use. 6' poles from eBay, an adjustable cross pole from eBay some thick bungee cord to hook around awning cassette and some guy lines. £90 in total. Cheaper than the awning if it gets storm damaged.

See here for MK1 and my present MK2 version.

http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/storm-porch.8895/#post-79249

Last edited:
I use a cheap storm awning for winter use. 6' poles from eBay, an adjustable cross pole from eBay some thick bungee cord to hook around awning cassette and some guy lines. £90 in total. Cheaper than the awning if it gets storm damaged.

Cheers WelshGas. We've got a few awnings from our camping days so we'll take your advice and use these when the weather is not so nice.

Just seen your post on the other thread. Great pics! I believe I have an identical awning to you. Question is...How did you attach the 'cheap' awning onto the Cali awning box?

Back