Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Front sensor activation?

Teejay

Teejay

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
My understanding was that the front sensors would automatically detect when I approach an object? No action is needed.
I queried this with my dealer and he has suggested that the front sensors need to be activated when parking. Is this correct or have I misunderstood. Are there any T6 owners out there with front and rear sensors with camera that can confirm if this is a fault? Dealer suggests that is just how it works?

Looking at the manual I fear he may be correct.

Yes he's correct. Although I think they maybe activate automatically when in reverse (as well as the rear sensors obviously!).

My understanding was that the front sensors would automatically detect when I approach an object? No action is needed.
I queried this with my dealer and he has suggested that the front sensors need to be activated when parking. Is this correct or have I misunderstood. Are there any T6 owners out there with front and rear sensors with camera that can confirm if this is a fault? Dealer suggests that is just how it works?

On my my16 Cali beach (no camera but front and rear sensors) sensors, front or rear, would automatically turn on if objects came close enough.
If you have to turn them on it seems to defeat the object of having them.

That's interesting @daveyboydanger as I'm pretty sure that's not the same as my MY16 Beach (no camera either).

Yes he's correct. Although I think they maybe activate automatically when in reverse (as well as the rear sensors obviously!).

When selecting reverse it looks like all are activated (F &R & CAM) They then will switch off automatically when you go faster than 15kph or when obstacle is out of detection area.

So suggestion is when moving forward only and no reverse selected you need to activate the front sensors using the on dash button. Not sure if I've explained it that well.

On a T5.1 fronts become active once reverse has been selected or the button on the dash has been pressed. not sure what deactivates the fronts, I think its once a certain speed has been reached.

I had a bmw where they were permanently active & it was a pain as everytime you got closer than about 6ft to anything they beeped, the corner ones would pickup cars in adjacent lanes not just things in front.

When selecting reverse it looks like all are activated (F &R & CAM) They then will switch off automatically when you go faster than 15kph or when obstacle is out of detection area.

So suggestion is when moving forward only and no reverse selected you need to activate the front sensors using the on dash button. Not sure if I've explained it that well.
That's a great explanation. I think that's spot on.
On my polo the front sensors came on automatically but the Cali is as you say, front only activated when reverse gear is selected.

Thanks chaps. So I now know that they are not faulty as you have confirmed it! Nearly rammed a bollard. To be fair the dealer did mention this but I wasn't listening properly. :Stig

Just need to support out the rattle.

:agreed

Thanks chaps. So I now know that they are not faulty as you have confirmed it! Nearly rammed a bollard. To be fair the dealer did mention this but I wasn't listening properly. :Stig

Just need to support out the rattle.

Is the sliding table stored correctly ? Makes an awful noise if not .

If your T6 is like my T5:

as pointed out by others:

Front sensors are not automatic: Front sensors are activated either: when reverse is selected or a little button switching the sensors on is pressed. My little button is in the passenger side cluster, if you have such a thing in the T6.

Is the sliding table stored correctly ? Makes an awful noise if not .

I'll add that to the list my wife has already posted a question on here about it and G Jen and others have replied with some ideas so we are going to give them a try.
First drive into work tomorrow with the new California !

If your T6 is like my T5:

as pointed out by others:

Front sensors are not automatic: Front sensors are activated either: when reverse is selected or a little button switching the sensors on is pressed. My little button is in the passenger side cluster, if you have such a thing in the T6.

That's exactly it, guessing same button with a P and triangle. Confirms I was incorrect and my dealer correct. Phew now I definitely know that they are not malfunctioning. In the Volvo they are on all the time I;ve got used to the trucks, buses and two stroke bikes setting them off. Just need to make sure that I remember to press the little button otherwise crunch !

Where I park at home 1st manoeuvre is to get as close as possible to a wall on FN before engaging reverse. So it's already a habit to stop, hit the button for sensors on and then button for stop start off as engine stop starting during the very tight manoeuvre is a pain and mirrors in due to a Pillar. Radio on something mellow.

So yep no camera or sensor until reverse selected or switch hit.

Mike

Last edited:
If the front sensors would be activated all the time it would be very annoying in traffic jams!

If the front sensors would be activated all the time it would be very annoying in traffic jams!
They come on automatically on the Touareg and never activated in traffic but did if a person walked across between the cars.

and then button for stop start off as engine stop starting during the very tight manoeuvre is a pain

Mike,
why would you need to deactivate the Stop/Start? If you are manoeuvring then you are not going to be in neutral with the clutch out and the brake depressed, therefore Stop/Start should not activate, ever!

Or is this something with the DSG? :Nailbiting

Mike,
why would you need to deactivate the Stop/Start? If you are manoeuvring then you are not going to be in neutral with the clutch out and the brake depressed, therefore Stop/Start should not activate, ever!

I've never noticed this when doing slow manoeuvring with my setup. I think the electronics know this. Could be different on the T6.

Mike,

It happened a couple of times but my manoeuvre can be very tight depending on who is already parked. I had believed it was stop starting but this could well have been because I was stopped parking the mirrors or scratching my head. I had assumed it was the stop start but from what you and WG say probably not. I will check again and report back.

Mike

I'll add that to the list my wife has already posted a question on here about it and G Jen and others have replied with some ideas so we are going to give them a try.
First drive into work tomorrow with the new California !

Enjoy your first drive to work. Husband loves driving to work in our "Grace",
Live on Dartmoor so the views are amazing.
Tries to escape at lunchtime to sit in the Cali to enjoy some peace & coffee.

Just had to show a couple of colleagues around her. I think the name has presented itself to us too. JoJo, it was to be Harvey as the great big pooka, then Booboo was considered as in "let's booboo" from The Worlds End. Quite spookily we both said how about JoJo it could be unixsex and fits the registration too.

JoJo is a nice name.

I thought of it as well but my Sister is called Jo.

She will be confused if she is manoeuvring in our drive and hears the name called out.....

Jo .... JO ......JO !**! ......... JOOOOOOO ........ Crunch! Too late :sad

Last edited:
JoJo is a nice name.

I thought of it as well but my Sister is called Jo.

She will be confused if she is manoeuvring in our drive and hears the name called out.....

Jo .... JO ......JO !**! JOOOOOOO ........ Crunch! Too late :sad

It would become even more obvious if you ever see her in the flesh. If you come up these parts, Tyneside area I will gladly introduce you.
:cheers

Back