Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Fuse number for dashcam

I have just wired a Nextbase dashcam using the guidance here. I used the spare slot below the blue fuse in the centre bank. For the earth I used the screw to the middle RHS of the picture. This is supposed to be a self tapping screw fixing the plastic trim to a metal flange. The captive nut was missing but I picked up a spare at Halfords and it worked a treat.

Only problem I had was getting the 'direction' of the fuse correct. I put it in upside down to start with which didn't deliver power with ignition on or off. Inverted it and all is now good. Very easy to hide the cable vehind the edge of the trim and dashcam now comes on automatically with the ignition and stops 2 mins after ignition is turned off.

I got the Nextbase 512WG. Seems very easy to use and high quality video.
Nice one. Need to get my act together and get one fitted. Still fancy a front and rear so looking at the Thinkware F770.
How are you guys who have fitted one got on with it ?

Mike

I have just wired a Nextbase dashcam using the guidance here. I used the spare slot below the blue fuse in the centre bank. For the earth I used the screw to the middle RHS of the picture. This is supposed to be a self tapping screw fixing the plastic trim to a metal flange. The captive nut was missing but I picked up a spare at Halfords and it worked a treat.

Only problem I had was getting the 'direction' of the fuse correct. I put it in upside down to start with which didn't deliver power with ignition on or off. Inverted it and all is now good. Very easy to hide the cable vehind the edge of the trim and dashcam now comes on automatically with the ignition and stops 2 mins after ignition is turned off.

I got the Nextbase 512WG. Seems very easy to use and high quality video.
Good tip on the earth, I just saw plastic, so dropped a wire under the rubber mats to the seat frame. I'll be moving that in due course!

Nice one. Need to get my act together and get one fitted. Still fancy a front and rear so looking at the Thinkware F770.
How are you guys who have fitted one got on with it ?

Mike

I've got the F770 and its great. Followed Loz's instructions on another thread and tapped some wires in the control panel. Haven't got around to fitting the rear camera yet though, and then the sticky pad for the front unattached itself on a very hot day so I need to refit that too!

Did mine today, took a look at the wiring diagram in the downloads section and found a suitable permanent live and switched live up in the roof console going to the control unit, no need to run wires down.

Can you remember which colour wires were switched live and earth?

I've got the F770 and its great. Followed Loz's instructions on another thread and tapped some wires in the control panel. Haven't got around to fitting the rear camera yet though, and then the sticky pad for the front unattached itself on a very hot day so I need to refit that too!

F770 front and rear cameras purchased on Amazon yesterday and fitted to our cali today! Sean from Abergele (S.L.R. Communications Ltd) came round to house and fitted without any trouble; and less than £100! Involved a single (invisible) drill hole to hide the rear cable. Front connections used Loz's advice. Very neat job and can thoroughly recommend both camera (and the iPhone App) and the fitter.

Thanks to Kevthegas for identifying a suitable fuse (the top blue 15).
My dash cam works a treat now and no more plugging into the 12v dash socket.

Back