T6 LED headlights - travel mode

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We are fortunate enough to have the very expensive LED headlights for our T6 Beach. These have a button in the MFD "travel mode" which automatically adjust the lights by lowering them slightly and angling the beam to the right for continental driving.

I read a section in the manual yesterday about using travel mode and it suggests it is only for short term use, and for long term they need adjusting by a garage.

We have now been using 'travel mode' for two extended periods of 10 weeks and 16 weeks with a 4 week gap between.

Might I be causing long term damage to the lights by not having them adjusted?

While the 'travel mode' option has been ticked for all this time, the proportion of driving with the lights on has been low. Very occasional night time driving and tunnels.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

I would have thought that was just a stock advisory notice to stop people just using that function rather than getting them properly adjusted if the vehicle was being imported. I can’t see how it would cause damage.

Mike

Cant see any damage been caused, however you could just tick the travel mode if you are travelling at night.

I would have thought that was just a stock advisory notice to stop people just using that function rather than getting them properly adjusted if the vehicle was being imported. I can’t see how it would cause damage.
I hope you are right. It is difficult to know what long term harm travel mode can do. Perhaps it is just that left hand drive lights in travel mode have a different beam pattern to right hand drive lights. Putting on travel mode certainly lowers the beam by a few degrees as well as shifting the beam right.

I would imagine 'travel mode' for a UK vehicle is standard mode for a left hand drive vehicle. Can't see it being a problem.

Mike

Professional ass-covering..... With the usual fog of vagueness.....

Ok, we're talking about a T5 and bi-xenon...

Those lights also had a travel mode but had to be set by the dealer, a 5 minute non-chargeable (SMG Cowfold) job. It was in fact the very first time I had taken Albert to a dealer after picking him up and the priority job to get done. Travel mode flattened the beam and took the "kick" out.

4 years later I was still happily driving around, UK and Europe, in travel mode.

No problems with the vehicle, other drivers or passing an MOT.

I think what VW are saying is "we have set the lights up by default to the optimum standard for the country of registration so please remember to switch them back when travel mode not needed".

Ok, we're talking about a T5 and bi-xenon...

Those lights also had a travel mode but had to be set by the dealer, a 5 minute non-chargeable (SMG Cowfold) job. It was in fact the very first time I had taken Albert to a dealer after picking him up and the priority job to get done. Travel mode flattened the beam and took the "kick" out.

4 years later I was still happily driving around, UK and Europe, in travel mode.

No problems with the vehicle, other drivers or passing an MOT.

I think what VW are saying is "we have set the lights up by default to the optimum standard for the country of registration so please remember to switch them back when travel mode not needed".

No - it is a user activated adjustment.
843c0c0b1e1e7b11126bbbf7d1f18d45.jpg

We are fortunate enough to have the very expensive LED headlights for our T6 Beach. These have a button in the MFD "travel mode" which automatically adjust the lights by lowering them slightly and angling the beam to the right for continental driving.

I read a section in the manual yesterday about using travel mode and it suggests it is only for short term use, and for long term they need adjusting by a garage.

We have now been using 'travel mode' for two extended periods of 10 weeks and 16 weeks with a 4 week gap between.

While the 'travel mode' option has been ticked for all this time, the proportion of driving with the lights on has been low. Very occasional night time driving and tunnels.

I put my LEDs on travel mode when I picked up my Ocean in the U.K. and drove it to Norway. It passed a Norwegian inspection and has been on that setting since and will stay like that until I take it back to the UK in 2019.

I've had mine on my T6 for two years and no issues.

So, if I drive in uk I should have "Travel Mode" off and "on" if driving in Continental Europe, n'est-ce pas?

Oui - my UK-registered Cali is put in travel mode when I come out of the Channel tunnel in France.
I haven’t noticed any change in the lights though from travel mode on/off

Does anyone know if this works the other way around? I.e whether a euro T6.1 will have a travel mode for the uk?

Does anyone know if this works the other way around? I.e whether a euro T6.1 will have a travel mode for the uk?

Did you find anyone that had the answer to this? I just got one and can't find a travel mode on the menus!

I have read elsewhere on the Forum that Travel mode for 6.1 is being removed for MY 2021, so I guess that means that 2020 6.1s still have it. Maybe someone here has a European 6.1 and can confirm.

Last edited:
Oui - my UK-registered Cali is put in travel mode when I come out of the Channel tunnel in France.
I haven’t noticed any change in the lights though from travel mode on/off
The easiest way to check is park facing a wall and garage door. Wait until dark. Use the headlights and the travel feature. On my UK spec T6 you can see the adjustment of the lights take place.

As a bloke I am ashamed to admit how much of my T6.1 manual I have read but.... on page 103 it says " If you have to drive a right-hand drive vehicle in a left-hand drive country, or vice versa, the asymmetric dipped beam headlights may dazzle oncoming traffic . Therefore, the headlights must be masked or switched over if you are planning to drive abroad.

With some equipment levels, the headlights, can be adjusted in the vehicle settings (travel mode)in the infotainment system -> Page 32"

That implies to me that it's not right or left-hand drive that is key but the equipment level; assuming of cause the manual is correct..........

Back