Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Ocean. Broken down and engine will not start. Starter motor does not click in. AA called but baffled.

Update: The new BCM was faulty. New unit replaced and all good now.
What a saga, from quick reckoning it took them around four weeks to get it finally fixed.
Sound like the technicians need to have a lot of extra training. When I worked on Strowger and early electronic telephone exchanges in the 1970s and 80s basic signal and voltage tracing were paramount for the job. I'm sure some of the VCDS (Vagcom) experts on the T6 Forum would have sorted it in 24hrs or less.

Yes I plugged in the VCDS. No errors
I’m going through similar issues here in Spain. mine is still going but on idling has cut out on 3 occasions now but restart successful after a few minutes. Vw garage San Sebastian diagnostic showed no errors Have fingers crossed for rest of holiday !

I’m going through similar issues here in Spain. mine is still going but on idling has cut out on 3 occasions now but restart successful after a few minutes. Vw garage San Sebastian diagnostic showed no errors Have fingers crossed for rest of holiday !
The VW engineer said that vcds is more capable than standard vw provided diagnostics.

I'd be tempted to get a full vcds scan completed so that you can check everything for yourself.

The scan report will show a history of errors and faults, and provide a criticality score for each one, so you can determine whether there have been error/fault codes recorded and when, the number of these codes and the criticality of each.

If you look on ebay or facebook there are multiple people offering this vcds service. I'm sure that some in Spain are offering the same service.

San Sebastián would not be a bad place to be stuck :)

The VW engineer said that vcds is more capable than standard vw provided diagnostics.

I'd be tempted to get a full vcds scan completed so that you can check everything for yourself.

The scan report will show a history of errors and faults, and provide a criticality score for each one, so you can determine whether there have been error/fault codes recorded and when, the number of these codes and the criticality of each.

If you look on ebay or facebook there are multiple people offering this vcds service. I'm sure that some in Spain are offering the same service.
@Alan Andrews I see you are in Staffordshire, I'm only in Telford and can do a VCDS scan or you should you need one. I'm no expert but doing a full scan and giving it to you either as a hard copy or file is no problem, except when I'm not at home like now as we are in France until next Monday.
A scan will not show old faults that have been cleared by a previous technician as there is no 'history' kept on modules, not that mere mortals can see any way.

Feel free to give me a call if you need to.

@Alan Andrews I see you are in Staffordshire, I'm only in Telford and can do a VCDS scan or you should you need one. I'm no expert but doing a full scan and giving it to you either as a hard copy or file is no problem, except when I'm not at home like now as we are in France until next Monday.
A scan will not show old faults that have been cleared by a previous technician as there is no 'history' kept on modules, not that mere mortals can see any way.

Feel free to give me a call if you need to.
Hello Rod,

Thank you for kind offer. But problem is all sorted now. I did have a full vcds at the time. Thank you

I’d be worried that a scan may invalidate my warranty if not done by VW?

The scan is just that. It takes a snapshot of your vehicle and allows you to see for yourself what is being reported. Useful if you then need to engage VW to under take work.

The scan is just that. It takes a snapshot of your vehicle and allows you to see for yourself what is being reported. Useful if you then need to engage VW to under take work.
Thanks, I’ll investigate

Don't worry about scanning the vehicle control units and recording/printing their status, that on it's own will not be problematic but if you are worried about warranty no errors should be cleared and no re-coding done.
The Ross-tech website will explain how to extract the full configuration of all modules. There are folks on the VW T6 Forum who are very knowledgeable on the VW control modules in many cases much more than the average VW dealership.

Don't worry about scanning the vehicle control units and recording/printing their status, that on it's own will not be problematic but if you are worried about warranty no errors should be cleared and no re-coding done.
The Ross-tech website will explain how to extract the full configuration of all modules. There are folks on the VW T6 Forum who are very knowledgeable on the VW control modules in many cases much more than the average VW dealership.
Thanks for this, very useful

Nag them to keep your batteries charged. Offer to lend them the hookup cable. If you don't you're going to need new batteries at the end of their repair.
My 6.1 sits for weeks in the garage (without the option to plug in) on full charge. I know you’re supposed to keep it plugged in, but doesn’t seem to matter that mine is not,

My 6.1 sits for weeks in the garage (without the option to plug in) on full charge. I know you’re supposed to keep it plugged in, but doesn’t seem to matter that mine is not,
The op's vehicle was being worked on for 4 weeks. Would have involved a lot of in and out doors opened and closed, key in and out etc. Different proposition to parking up.

Last year I parked up for 3 months. But I've got 100W on the roof and made an effort to share that with all 3 batteries and started with all 3 at close to 100%. My batteries ran down to about 12.1V but were at float voltage by the time I got back.

Back