Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Ocean - Fridge keeps switching off, but very random.

philosan

philosan

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi
got my new Cali in September 2017. In the first few months noticed that the fridge would randomly switch off - no apparent cause and it could do it after a few hours or even days. Asked the dealer to check it out but they said could not get it to fail. Had about 12 months of no problems but in the last few weeks has started doing it again. The fridge is set at level 3 so not being asked to work too hard and is not over full. I could take it back to the dealer but if it doesn't fail whilst there not sure what they can do.
Anybody else experiencing this problem, and, if so, what was the cause ?
Phil

Does the indicator light on the control panel go out?
If not try turning it up to full and see what happens. No3 isn't very cold so perhaps it's just getting to temperature and turning off.

Are your leisure batteries charged. Does it happen when on hook up?

It will cut in and out on level 3. If it is switching off at the control panel then that could do with low voltage. Normally when the charge level is >30-20% the voltage drops and the fridge will switch off.

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES.
it happens on or off hookup. The last few times been on hookup for several hours. Have put it on level 5 now to see if that stabilises things.

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES.
it happens on or off hookup. The last few times been on hookup for several hours. Have put it on level 5 now to see if that stabilises things.
I would suggest getting a Digital Thermometer for monitoring the Fridge Temperature.
Over the last few winter months - My Fridge, with door closed shows a temperature of 5 to 8c, without the fridge running. Running on Level 3 I would think the fridge would be shutting off as it would very quickly reach temperature. I'm not sure, if the Fridge does not Totally shutdown, No indicator lit on Control Panel, if the compressor is not used for a set time.
I find that Level 5 produces a temperature of about 2-3C at the Front/bottom of the fridge and rarely do I need higher. At that level you need to be careful what you put against the back wall as that is where the cooling could is. I keep the Gin there and any frozen stuff.

Hi
got my new Cali in September 2017. In the first few months noticed that the fridge would randomly switch off - no apparent cause and it could do it after a few hours or even days. Asked the dealer to check it out but they said could not get it to fail. Had about 12 months of no problems but in the last few weeks has started doing it again. The fridge is set at level 3 so not being asked to work too hard and is not over full. I could take it back to the dealer but if it doesn't fail whilst there not sure what they can do.
Anybody else experiencing this problem, and, if so, what was the cause ?
Phil
I have this same problem. No idea of cause. Don't think it has anything to do with battery power as we keep batteries well charged with solar panel and driving every two days at least. We are on week 9 of our first ever trip and I'd say the fridge has randomly shut off a dozen times....hooked up, not hooked up, different power levels. Bloody annoying. Any new thoughts welcomed!

I have this same problem. No idea of cause. Don't think it has anything to do with battery power as we keep batteries well charged with solar panel and driving every two days at least. We are on week 9 of our first ever trip and I'd say the fridge has randomly shut off a dozen times....hooked up, not hooked up, different power levels. Bloody annoying. Any new thoughts welcomed!
Hi Michael,
strangely enough not had the switch-off problem since I did the post - hook-up or no hook-up. My gut feeling is it was probably due to a dip in voltage caused probably by using an electric heater in my awning and also an electric kettle. But, since then with the warmer weather I haven't had to use the heater and no fridge problems. Not sure how this relates to your situation but voltage dip could be the cause ?

Mine did something similar whilst away the other week but put it down to catching the button when lifting/lowering the roof, so made sure i was careful when doing that and didnt have another issue, fridge did really well in 45 deg of ambient heat, I recon the compressor ran continuous for several days.

Hi,
I picked up my new Cali in October and have had the same issue. The fridge cuts off or will not come on at all on the control panel. All batteries have not dropped below 80%. Really disappointed as totally unusable. Has anyone had any success in fixing this issue?

No unfortunately, I haven't. I would just advise that you make a habit of regularly checking the control panel to ensure that the fridge is still on and hasn't just switched itself off.

The fridge will only come on generally if the temparature inside the fridge is higher than outside the fridge, so if its a cold day that may be why.

There have however on the T6 been some issues with the control board meaning some folks can't turn theirs off and others can't keep it on.

Worth a trip the dealer if you arent sure.

The fridge will only come on generally if the temparature inside the fridge is higher than outside the fridge, so if its a cold day that may be why.

There have however on the T6 been some issues with the control board meaning some folks can't turn theirs off and others can't keep it on.

Worth a trip the dealer if you arent sure.
This seems to be a control board problem with the fridge cutting out at random time or not turning on. The orange light just goes out. I have a thermometer in the fridge as I was unsure if the orange light goes out when the compressor is not running.

Hi. We have exactly the same problem with our T6.1, it's completely random but it just turns itself off completely (no light on the control panel). Has anyone managed to resolve it? We have mentioned it to the dealer but as it's so intermittent they've been unable to recreate it. It seems to happen after we've been on hook up.... Any help would be appreciated

Hi. We have exactly the same problem with our T6.1, it's completely random but it just turns itself off completely (no light on the control panel). Has anyone managed to resolve it? We have mentioned it to the dealer but as it's so intermittent they've been unable to recreate it. It seems to happen after we've been on hook up.... Any help would be appreciated
Happen a few times to us. Never got resolved as you say, how would you ever recreate the fault for the dealer. Ours always seemed to be just after I had "woken" the panel to check on battery levels. We've never woken up in the morning to find it off, or come back to the van after a day out to find it off. Always seemed to be after me "fiddling". Watching the thread with interest.

Mine also turned off unexpectedly the first trip out after using EHU for the first time. Thats probably the most reliable way to reproduce the problem at the dealer. I believe some have fixed the problem by replacing a relay. Need to find the thread where this was discussed on the German forum

Back