Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 or T6.1 - Am I being thick??

Never had it in a California so I guess it might be useful. I did have it on a different VAG Car and found it pointless. I think I used the paddle shifters once and then never again.
I think the ECU mapping was revised when sport mode was dropped. I haven't felt the need or miss it and thats coming from a Porsche 993 and Audi B8.5 S4.

Brilliant list. Another point to add to the T6.1 is the automatic breaking when the van detects that you’re going to crash into something. Already saved me a couple of times when parking and not realising I was about to reverse into something.
My T6 has the forward collision system that detects a crash and stops you. Not too sure it does it when reversing though but definitely works when going forward……..

Hi All.

I might be having a senior moment but can you explain the difference betwen a T6 and a T6.1 please.

Am I right in thinking the T6.1 came in around end of 2019 and is actually the current model? For some reason I had in my head there was something between 2019 and 2021......... I know there were issues with the bellows from about 2021 but is that all?

Sorry if it's covered elsewhere as I'm weighing up whether to go for a late T6 or and early (70, 20 or 21 plate) T6.1......
I've had both. I think the build quality of the 6 was better. Also the pop top didn't leak. My 6.1 did. Overall I would go for the 6 dsg.

Great list. I guess the DSG mapping on the T6.1 has been improved over the 6, because nobody grumbles about it. Mine would change up to 7th at 43 mpg and the engine always felt it was choking. A TVS dsg remap solved that, and I wonder if the 6.1s have a similar map.

That reversing autonomous braking would likely have saved me £500 recently

Oh wow - thanks for all these answers but didn't mean to open a can of worms - sorry. The situation so far - my own camper has 2 people interested but that doesn't proclude me from buying; that will sell for whatever someone pays me but doesn't set my goal.

So to confirm the dealers have 3 Cali's. A 70 plate 150 dsg in Ascot Grey with 13k miles. A 21 plate 150dsg in Ascot Grey with 30k miles - this has mud flaps, comfort mattress extension and Woodstaock wheels. Then they now have 21 plate 204 dsg in dark met grey (Indium Grey I think) with 23k miles this has silver awning rail, mud flaps, comfort bed extension, power slide door, heated screen and high beam assist. Prices from £60990 - £61990 Assume only the 21 plates (July Reg) are eleigible for VW warranty or do VW do anything else. I know when we bought our Golf 18 months ago we got 2 years warranty, 2 years VW Assist, 2 years MOT ins. Do they not do this with vans??

I did start off this search with certain things in mind I'd like
No potential leaking bellows - looks like avoid possibly late 2021 onwards?
LED headlamps - I'm used to xenon and like the extra clarity they give expecially on road signs.
4 motion - seem like hens teeth in newer models - I enjoyed the extra sure footedness i had with my X Trail
204 ps engine if I could - I do like having a bit more up and go and lazier driving.
DSG box although I'm used to manual on Golf - I have had auto's before but not dsg
235 tyres (orefer all season Michelin) on 17" wheels - I've had the 215 and found them hard ride and noisy.
Colour - Indium grey, Ascot Grey or poss Mohave Beige which looks grey - not white like I have now
Comfort mattress a must as we'll sleep downstairs
Tow bar must for Atera genio electric bike rack - could easily be added
New awning as probs sell existing with camper

I know there are things I can add like a Cali topper, new windscreen black out cover, awning tie down straps etc so this little lots could be adding further 2 - 3 k

Oh wow - thanks for all these answers but didn't mean to open a can of worms - sorry. The situation so far - my own camper has 2 people interested but that doesn't proclude me from buying; that will sell for whatever someone pays me but doesn't set my goal.

So to confirm the dealers have 3 Cali's. A 70 plate 150 dsg in Ascot Grey with 13k miles. A 21 plate 150dsg in Ascot Grey with 30k miles - this has mud flaps, comfort mattress extension and Woodstaock wheels. Then they now have 21 plate 204 dsg in dark met grey (Indium Grey I think) with 23k miles this has silver awning rail, mud flaps, comfort bed extension, power slide door, heated screen and high beam assist. Prices from £60990 - £61990 Assume only the 21 plates (July Reg) are eleigible for VW warranty or do VW do anything else. I know when we bought our Golf 18 months ago we got 2 years warranty, 2 years VW Assist, 2 years MOT ins. Do they not do this with vans??

I did start off this search with certain things in mind I'd like
No potential leaking bellows - looks like avoid possibly late 2021 onwards?
LED headlamps - I'm used to xenon and like the extra clarity they give expecially on road signs.
4 motion - seem like hens teeth in newer models - I enjoyed the extra sure footedness i had with my X Trail
204 ps engine if I could - I do like having a bit more up and go and lazier driving.
DSG box although I'm used to manual on Golf - I have had auto's before but not dsg
235 tyres (orefer all season Michelin) on 17" wheels - I've had the 215 and found them hard ride and noisy.
Colour - Indium grey, Ascot Grey or poss Mohave Beige which looks grey - not white like I have now
Comfort mattress a must as we'll sleep downstairs
Tow bar must for Atera genio electric bike rack - could easily be added
New awning as probs sell existing with camper

I know there are things I can add like a Cali topper, new windscreen black out cover, awning tie down straps etc so this little lots could be adding further 2 - 3 k
Personally I am very wary of low milage vehicles. The California is based on a commercial vehicle. Meant to be driven.
The normal warranty period is 3 yrs. The initial owner could have purchased a 2 Yr warranty extension within 3 months of 1st registration which stays with the vehicle. If not VW Commercial offer the 2 Yr All-in-One which includes 2 services 2 MOT 2 yrs VW Assistance and 2 yrs Warranty but this has one or two exclusions compared with the original factory warranty, costing about £35/month.

Personally I am very wary of low milage vehicles. The California is based on a commercial vehicle. Meant to be driven.
The normal warranty period is 3 yrs. The initial owner could have purchased a 2 Yr warranty extension within 3 months of 1st registration which stays with the vehicle. If not VW Commercial offer the 2 Yr All-in-One which includes 2 services 2 MOT 2 yrs VW Assistance and 2 yrs Warranty but this has one or two exclusions compared with the original factory warranty, costing about £35/month.
Thank you. Must admit our Golf is 2019 and now done 66k and runs superb except new clutch!!!! I bought my 2011 Nissan X Trail with 157k miles and sold with 187k miles. It's currently on 230k miles and still original engine, clutch, gear box, transfer box etc running fine and I had it tuned to 221hp!!!

I do like the idea of the 204 indium grey one though and that's 23k miles

Thank you. Must admit our Golf is 2019 and now done 66k and runs superb except new clutch!!!! I bought my 2011 Nissan X Trail with 157k miles and sold with 187k miles. It's currently on 230k miles and still original engine, clutch, gear box, transfer box etc running fine and I had it tuned to 221hp!!!

I do like the idea of the 204 indium grey one though and that's 23k miles
Test drive the 204. I assume its the FWD model. Excessive wheel spin would be an issue for me. If you're not in any rush I'd hang tight and wait for a nice 204 4Mo to hit the market. If you can move quick you might get a jump on other buyers.

Test drive the 204. I assume its the FWD model. Excessive wheel spin would be an issue for me. If you're not in any rush I'd hang tight and wait for a nice 204 4Mo to hit the market. If you can move quick you might get a jump on other buyers.
True but they really are like hens teeth. Haven't seen a T6.1 4Mo anywhere for w few weeks

There's one in Dartford for £65k a 2021 model - looks nice.....

Well let's see - I have someone coming to look at mine tomorrow evening and someone else at weekend. Spoken with both and they genuinely seem interested; both are also of similar age to me which is insteresting, both also going into campervan for first time and want something simple!! Fingers crossed

Never had it in a California so I guess it might be useful. I did have it on a different VAG Car and found it pointless. I think I used the paddle shifters once and then never again.
Horses for courses, I use both the sport mode and paddle shift - they come in handy on steep terrain and/or mild off roading when manual gear selection is a very useful additional control

Horses for courses, I use both the sport mode and paddle shift - they come in handy on steep terrain and/or mild off roading when manual gear selection is a very useful additional control
I use manual control via gear stick to increase gearing and eliminate the forced engine braking which the Cali tends to do downhill.

I use manual control via gear stick to increase gearing and eliminate the forced engine braking which the Cali tends to do downhill.
Yep, just as effective but I like being able to keep both hands on the wheel. Paddle shift is certainly not a reason to chose a T6 but it’s a nice to have imo. I also prefer hydraulic power steering and the comfort dash. What I don’t have that I would like from the T6.1 is the digital dash/bigger ICE screen, reclining downstairs bed, better wardrobe door, panoramic pop top canvas and the larger adblue tank. Not enough to elicit any FOMO though.

Yep, just as effective but I like being able to keep both hands on the wheel.
Yes the steering wheel paddle shifts are the ideal solution. They're more intuitive than reaching for and pushing a lever forward or back. When you don't manually shift regularly its easy to downshift when you intend to upshift which is not ideal.

Well dealer has a nice demonstrator on offer which I;ve had a drive of. late 23 plate with still 2.5 year balance of 3 year warranty. 1256 miles on clock 150 dsg in Indium grey with a few extras I was looking for VW removalble tow bar and trailer assist, comfort bed extension for lower bed, heated windscreen, high beam assist and side assist blind spot lights - offer around 65k but could be negotiable

That's just typical - Mine sells last night and this one at dealers sells yesterday afternoon late!
And least you are now motivated to fill that empty space in the garage. For the next one I would recommend leaving a refundable deposit to hold it until you can get in front of the Cali.

Back