Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 rear cup holder

This is rather useful!!

Does any one other than VW make these? Or Similar?

Could do with a few more of different sizes etc

75404871-4B85-4D71-880E-E0C63E29EB5F.jpeg

Question:
My rear cup holder came with the van. It has a black insert 'cup' with a hinged lid. Is that the ash tray?
And what are the hole and grove at the front under the lid for? No-one I ask knows. Something to do with holding a cigarette? Very strange design. Includes no where to rest or stub a cig. But I'm not a smoker, so no importance to me. Just curious.

Question:
My rear cup holder came with the van. It has a black insert 'cup' with a hinged lid. Is that the ash tray?
And what are the hole and grove at the front under the lid for? No-one I ask knows. Something to do with holding a cigarette? Very strange design. Includes no where to rest or stub a cig. But I'm not a smoker, so no importance to me. Just curious.

Here's a photo. Slot and hole at bottom of image.
VW cup holder - 1.jpg

Good for you you're surrounded by non-smokers Peter! The 'groove' is indeed to keep a cigarette alive while driving, the 'hole' to kill it. Me I killed this ashtray lid before it would kill anyone else. :Depressed

Good for you you're surrounded by non-smokers Peter! The 'groove' is indeed to keep a cigarette alive while driving, the 'hole' to kill it. Me I killed this ashtray lid before it would kill anyone else. :Depressed
Thanks! A frustrating mystery solved. In fact, the top part of the 'cup' can be removed to leave an open cup, which solves the problem some commenters have had of the hole being too large for some cups, cans, etc. I''l do that, as I have no plans (in my 50s) to take up smoking.

Thanks! A frustrating mystery solved. In fact, the top part of the 'cup' can be removed to leave an open cup, which solves the problem some commenters have had of the hole being too large for some cups, cans, etc. I''l do that, as I have no plans (in my 50s) to take up smoking.
In fact, I once ordered the 'smoker's pack' on a new BMW just to get a similar type of cup - but smaller - to sit in the central console, as an ideal place to keep small change - which you always need for parking meters, etc. (I was only able to order a new BMW thanks to Belgium's over-generous company car policy. That's another story. The big cities are introducing low emission zones and banning older vehicles while at the same time maintaing a company car policy that encourages many people to drive one-by-one in their own car to work rather than use public transport, cycling, etc. )

Thanks! A frustrating mystery solved. In fact, the top part of the 'cup' can be removed to leave an open cup, which solves the problem some commenters have had of the hole being too large for some cups, cans, etc. I'll do that, as I have no plans (in my 50s) to take up smoking.
As I said, I removed that 'ashtray' already a while ago, but if I remember well I think cans were too big to fit into this remaining cup (therefore I made me my DIY mod with a ribbon).

Hi all,

We didn't get a cup holder in our 6.1 and need something for the rear passengers... does anyone have any clever cup holder hacks?

Thanks!

Hi all,

We didn't get a cup holder in our 6.1 and need something for the rear passengers... does anyone have any clever cup holder hacks?

Thanks!
2B1D8F81-3D1F-47D7-9746-B2A1C973E7FC.jpeg
I take it these don’t fit a 6.1?
Did you find a solution Clare?

C7408378-67A3-4DE0-9EA3-6367FFEE31FC.jpeg

We're also looking for a cup holder for our 6.1 and from a couple other threads I gather that the kitchen grooves changed between the 6 and the 6.1 (ugh) meaning the cup holder from the 6 wouldn't work with the 6.1.
Does anyone know whether there is any 6.1 cup holder solution for the kitchen rail? I am SO frustrated with the useless one by the door, under the rear bench which is just.. I don't know, just useless. What were they thinking.

I am SO frustrated with the useless one by the door, under the rear bench which is just.. I don't know, just useless. What were they thinking.
I think you will find the underseat holder was there before the bench. It’s a standard bit of trim from a caravelle.
I don’t have a handy photo but we ended up using a couple of units from Amazon that had a micro sucker rubber base that gripped the glass tops they were Hit Products table coasters.

HIT PRODUCTS TableCoaster - The ultimate anti-spill drink holder, Jet Black https://amzn.eu/d/f5YUIdj

Last edited:
I think you will find the underseat holder was there before the bench. It’s a standard bit of trim from a caravelle.

Yes I get that but that’s why we pay for Californias and not Caravelles. Everything else appears to have been thought through, why not this legacy Caravelle hangover thing? Argh!
I’ll go do my breathing exercises now.

Yes, I’d be interested in your solution, would be grateful for a snap or two. Thanks!

We're also looking for a cup holder for our 6.1 and from a couple other threads I gather that the kitchen grooves changed between the 6 and the 6.1 (ugh) meaning the cup holder from the 6 wouldn't work with the 6.1.
Does anyone know whether there is any 6.1 cup holder solution for the kitchen rail? I am SO frustrated with the useless one by the door, under the rear bench which is just.. I don't know, just useless. What were they thinking.

Something like this?

435BD32D-F84F-4172-A2C0-E666136C23C8.jpeg

Back