Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Tailgate Rack (Original VW or Wanderway) security

T

teapeaage

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
Hi all,

I am looking to buy a rack. Initially thought towbar but I need it quickly and cannot get a 3rd license plate in time + I figured it's only up to 2 road bikes for now so maybe it'll be ok..

My question is - how do you secure the bike to the rack when you leave both the car and the bike and go e.g. for a hike? Is it even safe? Do I need additional locks / security? Like a ULOCK or a security cable to loop through it? And if so, where can I attach the ulock or a cable to the car/bike rack?

Thanks!

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a rack. Initially thought towbar but I need it quickly and cannot get a 3rd license plate in time + I figured it's only up to 2 road bikes for now so maybe it'll be ok..

My question is - how do you secure the bike to the rack when you leave both the car and the bike and go e.g. for a hike? Is it even safe? Do I need additional locks / security? Like a ULOCK or a security cable to loop through it? And if so, where can I attach the ulock or a cable to the car/bike rack?

Thanks!
There is nothing you can fit to stop a determined thief. You can use good quality chains, cables and locks to lock the bikes to the rack or spare wheel/towbar. You can use security bolts to secure the rack to the vehicle but given time and the right tools they could still be taken.
What about putting the bikes inside when not with the vehicle, possibly removing front wheels to do so.
Good insurance but 100% guaranteed security. No, I'm afraid.

There is nothing you can fit to stop a determined thief. You can use good quality chains, cables and locks to lock the bikes to the rack or spare wheel/towbar. You can use security bolts to secure the rack to the vehicle but given time and the right tools they could still be taken.
What about putting the bikes inside when not with the vehicle, possibly removing front wheels to do so.
Good insurance but 100% guaranteed security. No, I'm afraid.
Best not put them inside. A determined thief will just smash the window to gain entry & then possibly cause even more damage to the van interior dragging bikes out thru the window. Its rare for anyone to react to a car alarm going off.

If you are away for a long time and need to leave unattended, get motorcycle style chain + D-Lock this to the towing bracket or spare wheel lock, and try to park with the tailgate against a wall or part buried in a hedge, make it as difficult as possible for them to access any locks / chains.

Hi all,

Thanks!
Can you not just take the plate off the back of the van & put it on the towbar rack temporarily ?

as lo
Can you not just take the plate off the back of the van & put it on the towbar rack temporarily ?
As long as you have dvla v5 form for the vehicle (UK law) then Halfords or motor factors will make plate on the spot.

If you are using the internet to order, then they do not ask for copy of v5 and you are breaking UK law. Also it is going to take a little while for delivery.

As long as you have dvla v5 form for the vehicle (UK law) then Halfords or motor factors will make plate on the spot.

The Op is in the Czech Republic - The last Halfords shut there in 2010. :)

Back