Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 trickle charger issue

R

Richard Last

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi, I have connected a Ctek stop/start AGM configured trickle charger to the main battery of my T6 but the Ctek displays a warning light. So, I tried another Cteck trickle charger and that does the same, yet is fine on another car. The leads are correct. Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?
Also, I have wondered if I need a trickle charger? The T6 does not get used much over the winter so I thought it was a good idea but it always starts easily so perhaps no need?
I would be grateful to hear any comments or suggestions please. Thank you.

Hi, I have connected a Ctek stop/start AGM configured trickle charger to the main battery of my T6 but the Ctek displays a warning light. So, I tried another Cteck trickle charger and that does the same, yet is fine on another car. The leads are correct. Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?
Also, I have wondered if I need a trickle charger? The T6 does not get used much over the winter so I thought it was a good idea but it always starts easily so perhaps no need?
I would be grateful to hear any comments or suggestions please. Thank you.
Firstly, you have posted in the wrong section. Should be in the T6 electrical section, but don’t re-post as the Forum admin will move it.

In answer to your query. Which model do you have? Beach or Ocean? If a Beach do you have an onboard mains charger?
Do you have a voltmeter, either a multimeter or a 12v socket plug in voltmeter?
If you have a Mains charger, built in, then on the T6 this will trickle charge the engine battery once the Leisure battery is fully charged .
This can be checked with the voltmeter as once the leisure battery has been on charge for at least 12hrs the voltage measured on the Engine Battery will rise above 12.7 volts.

Firstly, you have posted in the wrong section. Should be in the T6 electrical section, but don’t re-post as the Forum admin will move it.

In answer to your query. Which model do you have? Beach or Ocean? If a Beach do you have an onboard mains charger?
Do you have a voltmeter, either a multimeter or a 12v socket plug in voltmeter?
If you have a Mains charger, built in, then on the T6 this will trickle charge the engine battery once the Leisure battery is fully charged .
This can be checked with the voltmeter as once the leisure battery has been on charge for at least 12hrs the voltage measured on the Engine Battery will rise above 12.7 volts.
Thanks for the reply. I have an Ocean. Sounds like I should perhaps just charge the leisure battery now and then, and let it trickle charge the engine battery once the leisure battery is charged?

Thanks for the reply. I have an Ocean. Sounds like I should perhaps just charge the leisure battery now and then, and let it trickle charge the engine battery once the leisure battery is charged?
That would be the way.
Thats what I do on my T5.1, and I’ve proved it on a number of occasions.
VW won’t admit it happens, but basically it is an anomaly of the wiring. On the T6.1 it is a definite function.

To check it definitively.
Measure the voltage of the Engine battery, it should be between 12.2/12.7v. Plug in the EHU. When the Control Panel voltage drops from maximum towards 13.5 v, check the Engine battery voltage. It should have risen to a value virtually the same as the Control Panel.

That would be the way.
Thats what I do on my T5.1, and I’ve proved it on a number of occasions.
VW won’t admit it happens, but basically it is an anomaly of the wiring. On the T6.1 it is a definite function.

To check it definitively.
Measure the voltage of the Engine battery, it should be between 12.2/12.7v. Plug in the EHU. When the Control Panel voltage drops from maximum towards 13.5 v, check the Engine battery voltage. It should have risen to a value virtually the same as the Control Panel.
Many thanks, I scrap the trickle charger idea and just hook up the 240v plug now and then.

Many thanks, I scrap the trickle charger idea and just hook up the 240v plug now and then.
The Handbook recommends Hookup monthly for 12hrs minimum. You can do it more often if you wish.

Back