Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 will not reverse

audio2

audio2

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I was trying to hitch up my caravan, I got about 6 inches from the tow ball & it would not go back any further. I tried several times without success. My Ocean has a rear view camera & sensors. There was a message on the screen “look safe to move” I think it said. Could the vehicle be applying the brakes & if so how do you switch it off?

I was trying to hitch up my caravan, I got about 6 inches from the tow ball & it would not go back any further. I tried several times without success. My Ocean has a rear view camera & sensors. There was a message on the screen “look safe to move” I think it said. Could the vehicle be applying the brakes & if so how do you switch it off?
No idea, but does it say anything in the handbook?
I suppose there could be something tied into the Parking Sensors. Do you have a switch on the Dashboard to Enable/Disable the sensors. The camera should still work.

The “look safe to move” message always appears on the screen when in reverse, so doubt it’s related to that. Does on mine anyway (T5.1 manual and I don’t have the camera, just sensors). Sorry can’t help more though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@audio2 nope there is no such functionality.
I suspect yours is a dsg gearbox. Most probably it is to do with the dsg, which does behave erratically sometimes when in reverse.

Are you going up an incline by any chance to the trailer? Just be careful as the dsg may suddenly engage and launch you into the trailer.

If possible are you able to bring the caravan forward to more level ground?

My T6 with reversing camera and I was able to reverse right under the towbar connector (having already checked it was above the towball). Guy next door who had kindly offered to help me was impressed. Wasn’t me, just a good piece of kit.

No problems with my DSG reverse. What happens if you try to reverse down the road?

Yes I do have the dsg gearbox but the site was completely level. I have experienced the problem on a hill trying to get the vehicle moving in reverse. This was on grass & what I wanted to do was to trickle up to the hitch. I could not give it a lot of throttle as I have sometimes had to do on a hill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are no systems that will stop the vehicle from reversing. I have a manual T6 with reversing camera and sensors and happily let me reverse into a stationary object earlier this year. Thank goodness for a tow ball I got away with it. The only system that could be stopping you from reversing is the DSG. There have been multiple reports on this forum of the DSG failing to move and then jumping, so it seems wise to be careful as you have. As others have suggested, I would recommend reversing beside the caravan if possible to match the terrain a few times and then try again. Good luck.

I had my DSG box re mapped and it’s a different thing. No sudden jolts or jumping through gears for no reason. Reversing up an incline is perfect as well. Can highly recommend to anybody with a jolty box :happy

Back