Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T7

Hum.... it does look smaller. I agree with previous comment , more a sharan replacement than a t6 replacement. What we do not know, is will calli based
on that one or from the joint model with Ford
Looking at ride height and overall size I’d guess that mule is based on the MQB platform (looks low enough to take batteries) and is probably the first fruit of the Ford hook-up - it’s rumoured to be seen first in Ranger/Amarok/Transit Connect/Caddy etc form.

I guess the next Cali will be based on the next iteration of the next van up (ie Transit Custom/Transporter) where the VW/Ford collaboration becomes less clear.

Looking at ride height and overall size I’d guess that mule is based on the MQB platform (looks low enough to take batteries) and is probably the first fruit of the Ford hook-up - it’s rumoured to be seen first in Ranger/Amarok/Transit Connect/Caddy etc form.

I guess the next Cali will be based on the next iteration of the next van up (ie Transit Custom/Transporter) where the VW/Ford collaboration becomes less clear.
Heaven forbid!

Time to look to the New Crafter at least that's a new (ish) model so has a year or two to run as a genuine VW.

Well if that's anything like the production version then it certainly won't win any beauty competitions. IMO it looks butt ugly from ever angle. After all the concept ideas that have been floated I was hoping for something a bit more aesthetically pleasing and with obvious VW heritage. Lose the VW badge and that bland offering could have come from anyone of the current car manufacturers. Accordingly, I can't see a dull Euro box such as that continuing the long established cult status of the VW Transporter series in all it's forms.

Last edited:
I'll wait for the T8. I'll probably still be paying off my T6 by that stage anyway!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I'll wait for the T8. I'll probably still be paying off my T6 by that stage anyway!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Don’t do that! The T8 is a going to be a rebadged Transit!

I still think that these spy pics are definitely a T7 and not a Sharan.
It seems to me that VW have taken the decision to make the roof line lower, but i still don't think it’s by that much, maybe around 20mm. The ground clearance under the van also looks less, meaning the top of roof is probably about 40mm lower than the current T6.

Don’t do that! The T8 is a going to be a rebadged Transit!

I still think that these spy pics are definitely a T7 and not a Sharan.
It seems to me that VW have taken the decision to make the roof line lower, but i still don't think it’s by that much, maybe around 20mm. The ground clearance under the van also looks less, meaning the top of roof is probably about 40mm lower than the current T6.

My plumber prefers the ford. He had both and finds the transit more reliable so maybe it is not a bad thing.

I have a colleague who had a second hand Ford Transit, and he had a few problems with it, engine wise. He now has a new T6, and it seems more reliable. There were a few things he likes more in the Ford, but overall, he is happy with his T6.

I think it all depends on the specific vehicle.

My T5.1 has 147000 km in 11 years, and I only had 2 problems engine wise (EGR and temperature sensor DPF), and 1 immobilisation due to the drive shaft. And a few side problems, but this doesn't mean the VW is not reliable.

I don't really like the Ford.
The only good thing about the first Sharans was that it was a very spaceous car. The VW Sharan is just a big Touran, and that is not good for versatility.

We'll see how much Ford there will be in the new Transporters.

Well if that's anything like the production version then it certainly won't win any beauty competitions. IMO it looks butt ugly from ever angle. After all the concept ideas that have been floated I was hoping for something a bit more aesthetically pleasing and with obvious VW heritage. Lose the VW badge and that bland offering could have come from anyone of the current car manufacturers. Accordingly, I can't see a dull Euro box such as that continuing the long established cult status of the VW Transporter series in all it's forms.
As we’re currently looking to buy our first ever Camper, my heart sank when I saw mention of a T7, but those pictures are definitely not putting me off buying a 6.1!!!

Interesting read this as I am thinking about a T6.1. Personally I'm a big fan of electric vehicles and buying a diesel in 2020 stage is playing on my conscience somewhat. I'll ignore the current T6.1 electric transporters and the Id Buzz as practically they will be no use whatsoever if you want to haul your family and all their luggage down to the South of France. The thing that interests me about the T7 is that it is likely to come as a plug-in hybrid, which, if translated across to the California would make an excellent vehicle IMO. Enough range so that can do daily duties on electric, no issues of heading into town centres and sufficient range to be able to point it towards the South of France and just get going. Also might have the aded bonus of trickle charging the battery back up at a campsite. Would be heavy though, and expensive.

Interesting read this as I am thinking about a T6.1. Personally I'm a big fan of electric vehicles and buying a diesel in 2020 stage is playing on my conscience somewhat. I'll ignore the current T6.1 electric transporters and the Id Buzz as practically they will be no use whatsoever if you want to haul your family and all their luggage down to the South of France. The thing that interests me about the T7 is that it is likely to come as a plug-in hybrid, which, if translated across to the California would make an excellent vehicle IMO. Enough range so that can do daily duties on electric, no issues of heading into town centres and sufficient range to be able to point it towards the South of France and just get going. Also might have the aded bonus of trickle charging the battery back up at a campsite. Would be heavy though, and expensive.
It looks much smaller that the t6.1 in the spy shots I have seen. Seems strange that they intend to keep the t6.1 running along side it for a few years...

No need for Leisure batteries or a mains charger for leisure circuit. We can but hope.

Back