Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate locking issue

Longer

Longer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi Guys,

So my van has stopped latching/locking the tailgate. It was working fine, took a trip to the Alps for a couple of days, and after packing the van the tailgate wouldn't close correctly, we had -20 so I thought it was icing, held the tailgate closed with a strap to get home. Now back to normal temperatures same problem.
When I simulate the locking bar pressing into the locking mech on the tailgate the servo works ok and slides fwd as if pulling the tailgate hard in. Has anyone had an issue? I'm thinking it's just alignment? What say you?

Thanks.

If servo working ok it does sound like an adjustment issue. Does it latch but not get pulled in by servo or not latch at all?

I would check the latch operation with the boot open. Use a bar ruffly the same size as the one on the boot and push it into the latch mechanism. I had the same issue with my car and I used a tent peg to operate the latch. That might help narrow the fault down.

If servo working ok it does sound like an adjustment issue. Does it latch but not get pulled in by servo or not latch at all?
Hey Skewif - It's hard to tell if the tailgate mech is latching around the bar as it disappears into the plastic covers. I'm going to try and get a better look today. Servo actions and pulls in fine. I'm just trying to understand how it went from working fine to not at all. The paint around the mech on the tailgate suggests it hasn't moved. I'm wondering if the servo travel has dropped somehow. When I started the thread I was kind of hoping someone would come back saying they'd had an issue with reduced travel on the servo due to contamination or just a mechanical failure. Thanks for coming back to me. :thumb

I would check the latch operation with the boot open. Use a bar ruffly the same size as the one on the boot and push it into the latch mechanism. I had the same issue with my car and I used a tent peg to operate the latch. That might help narrow the fault down.
Hi Sebh - Thanks for the reply. Have already used a screwdriver to push/rotate the latch, I can watch and hear the servo action and travel forward as if pulling in the tailgate.

The boot servo only has a very small range of motion anyway. The adjustment for the boot latch is the servo mechanism under plastic trim. Once bolts loosened the whole unit can be repositioned.
Can I just clarify that when you try to close the tailgate nothing happens? No latching, no click, no servo, the door just bounces onto door seal?

Just be careful it does not go the other way and stop un-latching with the tailgate closed. From other threads on here you would be in a difficult position trying open the tailgate with it stuck closed.

The boot servo only has a very small range of motion anyway. The adjustment for the boot latch is the servo mechanism under plastic trim. Once bolts loosened the whole unit can be repositioned.
Can I just clarify that when you try to close the tailgate nothing happens? No latching, no click, no servo, the door just bounces onto door seal?
Thanks again for coming back to me. Yes the door bounces on the seals (hard to be 100% as cannot see from the outside) but the servo actions and keeps trying to latch if I put weight on the tailgate. I came back from Italy with a strap holding the door down, when I braked (adding more weight to the tailgate) the servo would try and try to pull the tailgate closed.

Just be careful it does not go the other way and stop un-latching with the tailgate closed. From other threads on here you would be in a difficult position trying open the tailgate with it stuck closed.
Hi, it's true I'm worried about disturbing the setup, particularly cracking the paint around the latch, but something is out of line. As I said in the original post; it was working fine!

I believe the fault is with the latch mechanism attached to the tailgate. My logic: You say the servo works and even if it didn't it would either not close tightly or need a right good slam to shut the door... either way still held shut.
The latch on the door is two stage as with all other doors. First it holds the door but not fully closed then when pushed further the second stage latch is engaged and door is closed. With power latch on second stage the servo is then activated to pull the door tight/tighter. Just had a look at mine and powers latch only pulls rear door in ~7mm.
The latch on the tailgate also has a small motor to release the latch/door when the handle is pulled. If this motor is faulty or has stripped its gears due to ice jamming it etc the latch may not hold the door as motor rod stuck in un-latch position. There is also a spring within the latch that can break or become too weak to reset the latch to re-lock.
As you have said with enough pressure the power latch is activated and if latch on door working correctly the door would already be held on stage 1 or 2 so would stay shut. I hope that makes sense.

From what I remember the latch on door is in a fixed position. If you remove this part the paint will be fine. The latching adjustment comes from repositioning the power latch unit in floor of van.
Could try spraying a load of lube into door latch but I doubt would work. Have attached 3 pics of door latch and its 3 stages. Open, 1st and 2nd stage. Yours should be very firmly locked the same and only be released when handle pulled. Hope that helps.

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

I believe the fault is with the latch mechanism attached to the tailgate. My logic: You say the servo works and even if it didn't it would either not close tightly or need a right good slam to shut the door... either way still held shut.
The latch on the door is two stage as with all other doors. First it holds the door but not fully closed then when pushed further the second stage latch is engaged and door is closed. With power latch on second stage the servo is then activated to pull the door tight/tighter. Just had a look at mine and powers latch only pulls rear door in ~7mm.
The latch on the tailgate also has a small motor to release the latch/door when the handle is pulled. If this motor is faulty or has stripped its gears due to ice jamming it etc the latch may not hold the door as motor rod stuck in un-latch position. There is also a spring within the latch that can break or become too weak to reset the latch to re-lock.
As you have said with enough pressure the power latch is activated and if latch on door working correctly the door would already be held on stage 1 or 2 so would stay shut. I hope that makes sense.

From what I remember the latch on door is in a fixed position. If you remove this part the paint will be fine. The latching adjustment comes from repositioning the power latch unit in floor of van.
Could try spraying a load of lube into door latch but I doubt would work. Have attached 3 pics of door latch and its 3 stages. Open, 1st and 2nd stage. Yours should be very firmly locked the same and only be released when handle pulled. Hope that helps.

View attachment 30592

View attachment 30593

View attachment 30594

HI - Thanks for taking the time to reply in detail like this; all very useful info. Hopefully I'll get a chance to take a look today! Thanks again.

mine is currently locked closed. there is a button on the inside that can be pushed to manually release the lock. My fingers aren't long enough to reach it and can't find tool yet to aid me but that will get it open without drills etc. mine is 2015 SE model

Are you saying the release button is broken? There is no button but there is a blanking plug that can be removed to release the catch but you will have to unzip the cover for the chairs from the inside to get at it.

mine is currently locked closed. there is a button on the inside that can be pushed to manually release the lock. My fingers aren't long enough to reach it and can't find tool yet to aid me but that will get it open without drills etc. mine is 2015 SE model
Did you get it open?
I took a photo for you of the grommet you need to remove from the inside to release the catch.

yes i had help- sorry for very delayed reply. Still glass in the tailgate and latch seized again, new latch ready to fit when goes again but with small shards of glass still about no point replacing till goes again.....real pain. Appreciate the picture :)

View attachment 30592

View attachment 30593

View attachment 30594
I think the power latching has failed on my van, I no longer hear the motor engage to finish the closure. The boot still sims to close (maybe it just needs a bit more of a slam)? Looking at the images above I tried to trigger the power latch by moving the locking mechanism to picture 2, but it doesn't engage the servo automatically. On opening I do hear a motor whir.

Is this a common issue? Any easy fixes or a trip to the dealer?

I think the power latching has failed on my van, I no longer hear the motor engage to finish the closure. The boot still sims to close (maybe it just needs a bit more of a slam)? Looking at the images above I tried to trigger the power latch by moving the locking mechanism to picture 2, but it doesn't engage the servo automatically. On opening I do hear a motor whir.

Is this a common issue? Any easy fixes or a trip to the dealer?
Probably the micro switch that starts the motor.

Anyone a solution for this?
ours is playing up and we have the warning on the dash and a audible warning, if I’m lucky the interior lights flash on and off.
only had it a couple of days....... love the camper but this has taken the shine off our new toy!