Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tambour doors

:D
Regretfully neither would work in my case.
But I like the flow chart.
In a similar vein though, some 70 years ago my grandad used to fix all my stuff with binder twine or a big hammer. Would he was here now ...
Hi Barry,

I noticed you've had the same problem I am having right now.
The tambour door split in half and I am unable to reach the back half since it disappeared. I accidentally pushed it between the panels.

Can you help me figure out how to retrieve the missing part? The front half came off easily enough.
Thanks for your help,

Tristan

Hi Barry,

I noticed you've had the same problem I am having right now.
The tambour door split in half and I am unable to reach the back half since it disappeared. I accidentally pushed it between the panels.

Can you help me figure out how to retrieve the missing part? The front half came off easily enough.
Thanks for your help,

Tristan
All my efforts were in vain - even the brutal ones.
However, I had the van parked sideways on a serious slope and as I was getting my foldup Brompton from out of the back I noticed the remenant part of the door was now sticking out of the bottom of the slot it had been jammed in. I waggled it a bit and it simply came easily out.
Sort of embarrassing. I guess some of the earlier brutality must have relocated it in a new position from which the large tilt readily released it. Or something. Probably no help to you?
I got a replacement from the shop and fitted it in a few minutes (with plenty of gaffa tape to the rear).
I think it was about 6 months ago.

Regretfully the tambour 'door' above the driver's head has failed in the same way nearly a year ago and I've patched it with tape on the top surface and it seems to be holding.

Good luck, Tristan.

Thank you Barry. There aren't too many good slopes in the Netherlands. I will need a bit of luck and creativity :)

A piece of dowel with superglue on the end, pushed into the slot? Allow to dry and draw the door out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found a way combining previous posts on the forum, that should work for other people as well. By sharing this, I am hoping to save other people effort and time.

After removing the power socket on the outside of the camper van, I inserted a thin steel wire (garden wire, 1.5 mm) from the inside with a piece of rope connected to it.

I was able to pull the wire plus rope out on the outside of the van.

After connecting a bead (I used one from a sunglass pouch) slightly smaller than the space where the pieces of tambour door are stuck in, I pulled the rope from the inside, pushing the pieces of door out.

This was a 10 minute job, removing the power socket on the outside included (4 screws).

I found a way combining previous posts on the forum, that should work for other people as well. By sharing this, I am hoping to save other people effort and time.

After removing the power socket on the outside of the camper van, I inserted a thin steel wire (garden wire, 1.5 mm) from the inside with a piece of rope connected to it.

After connecting a bead (I used one from a sunglass pouch) slightly smaller than the space where the pieces of tambour door are stuck in, I pulled the rope from the inside, pushing the pieces of door out.

This was a 10 minute job, removing the power socket on the outside included (4 screws).
ingenious. Hope I never need to do it. Thanks Tristan.

Ingenious indeed! I’ll try that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back