Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tambour doors

This year the doors of both cupboards in my T5 Cali fell apart. Never thought about repairing them, I know my abilities... I ordered replacements at the VWCampershop in Amersfoort (NL), my Cali is worth it. With my two left hands I was able to change the doors within ten minutes.

Our rear tambour door was coming apart - I just stuck a couple of lines of grey duck tape along the inside of it across the slats - works fine, invisible from outside. But now I always make sure I draw them open or closed carefully with my hands flat against each side, I don't just yank the handle.

I've now given up trying to extricate in one piece the trapped half of the door that's residing in the 1" wide gap between the cupboard and the wardrobe and I've started to destroy it bit by bit. Not that straightforward itself. The van's away for a few days in the Scotland storms with my younger son, partner and kids and when I get it back I'll return to the effing task and replace the door with a new one.
huh!

Very common fault, easy to replace yourself ( we sell them in the forum shop ) however you are probably best to try and fix yourself first using some cross weave tape.

I finally managed to remove the tambour door from the rear cupboard (see earlier post).
Do you still stock this door. The top and bottom runners and the two stops are fine.
I just need the door (for the rear cupboard, not the wardrobe).

How much including postage and VAT?
And how long from you getting an order should I expect to get it.

Thanks Barry

I finally managed to remove the tambour door from the rear cupboard (see earlier post).
Do you still stock this door. The top and bottom runners and the two stops are fine.
I just need the door (for the rear cupboard, not the wardrobe).

How much including postage and VAT?
And how long from you getting an order should I expect to get it.

Thanks Barry

I don't think they do but I don't think the price is much different from VW.

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl...bcategory/68000/part_id/3707519/lang/e#sec_62

Part 62. Scroll down for the VW part number.

We too managed to lose the back half of the broken rear cupboard door into the recess. We couldn’t pull it back despite using bits of wire, sticky tape etc.

In the end I unscrewed the mains power plug under the flap on the outside of the van and by carefully pulling the plug out, leaving it still connected to the wiring, I was able to see the other end of the gap that the wardrobe and rear cupboard doors run into. Gently pushed a tent pole into the gap from outside the van, through the plug hole and after much jiggerypokery we eventually managed to push the door out the other end. In pieces.

Lesson learned. Don’t ever push a broken tambour door into its housing expecting it to pop out the other side. It just disappears into a virtually impenetrable gap.

I've also encountered the dreaded tambour door fault.
I'll probably have a go fixing it myself. Is there anything holding the slats together other than the tape?
017195d28de7a875033259f876949b83.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Yes there is, in that the plastic slats are all fixed to one another with a flexible plastic join, as if they all come from a single moulding, so I guess that over time the join moves often enough to snap, like bending a credit card back and forth until it breaks.

In our 2010 van we had no tape so I assume VW added this additional strengthening because the thin plastic "hinges" were prone to snapping.

We fixed ours with three strips of gaffer tape on the inside and the repair is still going strong.

My Cali didn't have tape reinforcing the door slats (T5) on the rear door and I don't think the replacement I bought on here did either.
A few weeks ago the wardrobe door split and I used 3M gaffer tape to rebuild it. It seems to work fine in the very recent cold weather but I'll have to wait to see what happens when we get a bit of heat on the van.
[btw I used 3M gaffer tape on the door but in a different job in the garage I've used Gorilla versions which seems much more adhesive.]

I don't think I ever posted here about the results of my gaffa tape efforts - did both doors, prevention being better than cure - and 3 years later they are both still intact.

Try some coppaslip.

The new one on display in our local dealer recently had sections of its door scattered in the boot...and a sagging roof on one side.

The new one on display in our local dealer recently had sections of its door scattered in the boot...and a sagging roof on one side.
Guess that's a pointer as to which dealer NOT to use! o_O

I've also encountered the dreaded tambour door fault.
I'll probably have a go fixing it myself. Is there anything holding the slats together other than the tape?
017195d28de7a875033259f876949b83.jpg

Don't know if you are still under warranty or not, but when I took Cali in for her MOT just before the 3 year part of the warranty expired, I mentioned that our door had split and they replaced it under warranty before I had to resort to the Gaffa tape. Might be worth a try.

It's in for its first service on Wednesday. I will ask about it then.

The main thing with the Tambour doors is to ensure they glide easily, especially when closing. Minimal force should be required and that’s where a Silicon spray or grease , or equivalent, is required along the runners.

Sinclair Cardiff?

Yes...I was only there getting something replaced that took them 9 months to sort. They’ve had a complete staff change but luckily I’d kept the emails with a photo.

It's in for its first service on Wednesday. I will ask about it then.

Well that was a lot more difficult and unpleasant than it had to be!
After a bit of arguing, accusations from the engineer in which he showed his complete lack of product knowledge, an attempted bodge repair and all round poor customer service, they eventually agreed to replace the part under warranty.

Also, a bit off topic, they said they couldn't /wouldn't wash the van because it had a bike rack on. In fact, it came back from the service dirtier than it went in thanks to the local bird population!

Lesson learned, avoid Alan Day North Circular Road at all costs!
77f3cfd67c6b39311ad6dd5836c99128.jpg

Not quite the same thing but the two clips that hold the doors closed on the hanging wardrobe side have broken on mine.

Last time it was in the dealers having something done I asked for a quote to fix them.

£3,344.00 :shocked

Apparently the whole thing comes as one unit and has to be replaced ......

Did you order a Spare ?

If you have the two halves of the broken end stoppers, they glue together really easily. If you haven't, the club shop.

I'm shocked that you don't know the 'rules' for fixin
If that's what they are called - one of mine has come apart. Is there any way to fix this, as it has to stay flexible? Or is it possible to replace it without taking the whole cupboard out?

View attachment 16426
In the summer our van interior got up to 38 degrees C stood on the sun at a folk festival. Our back-most door separated and I think the cross strip tape’s glue literally melted and lost the ability to stick when the door was opened. I think I saw a post by Aubergine-gine a while back referring to this too. I used some silver duct tape for a quick fix, but it’s worked well, no probs since and quick and easy to replace if it happens again. Reading through this thread looks like it’s worked for others too.

Update, door replaced on warranty.
Have put on some prophylactic gaffer tape and silicone spray on the runners so hopefully won't have the same issue again.

Back