Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tap switch disconnected but water pump running?

J

Joffa

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Hello. I have just replaced the water pump in my Cali but on reconnecting the power it runs even though tap switch is off and disconnected?

Just to help understand….
Why did you replace the pump?
Did you just unplug it and replace “like for like”
Did you touch the tap wiring or/and the under sink connector?
You say you’ve disconnected the tap? If not….
To start with I would disconnect the tap ( connector under sink) to confirm the tap switch is or isn’t the problem. They are prone to going short circuit due to the contacts arcing and welding themselves together.
There are quite a few posts on the topic of the dodgy tap switch and a modification to add a relay to stop the contact short circuit.

Hello. The fuse kept blowing. So thought at first it was the switch so took off the tap. Cleaned the contacts and replaced. No luck. Replaced the pump like for like. Original seized. The tap switch is now disconnected. But when I connect the power to the pump it runs?

Could it be something to do with the cold water shower switch?

Could it be something to do with the cold water shower switch?
Another bit of the jigsaw! Not familiar with the shower but if it operates the same pump it might be worth disconnecting the shower switch to rule that out.

All sorted. Problem with the shower switch. Don’t know why I didn’t think of that before!!! Thank you for the moral support and wise words ArunAlec. One final question - to preserve the life of the pump would you recommend removing it over winter?

All sorted. Problem with the shower switch. Don’t know why I didn’t think of that before!!! Thank you for the moral support and wise words ArunAlec. One final question - to preserve the life of the pump would you recommend removing it over winter?
No need to remove but you can remove the fuse and open the tap/taps then drain the tank. Some of us have fitted switches in series with the tap so that the tap can be left “switched on” with the tap valve open to allow the system to be drained and safe from freezing. I also fitted a relay to reduce the chance of burnt out contacts in the tap.

If the pump was seized and therefore blowing fuses, there is a chance the wiring to the tap switch has failed/shorted mimicking a tap on condition.
Disconnect the tap wiring at each end and do a insulation resistance check, or install some bypass wiring to prove.