Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Teabus - First trip: North Norfolk

Driver's seat is easy...just line sliding rail and fixed rail front ends up, wind the back fully forward and it is in the right place.
Easy for you maybe... In LHD Cali's we have to negotiate both the steering wheel and the kitchen block.

Oh, there was one more thing... forgot the handbrake :)

Easy for you maybe... In LHD Cali's we have to negotiate both the steering wheel and the kitchen block.

Oh, there was one more thing... forgot the handbrake :)
I never thought of that problem with LHD ones!

I also forgot to say to push the steering wheel in

Thanks Kingisher and two dogs, I think we’ve got the knack with turning the seats now!
We’re safely home after a wonderful first trip. It was easy to unpack and clean the fridge (remembered to leave the top up for air). Brought all the washing in and will unpack and give Teabus a clean inside and out today. We’re then going to repack her, so we can go at short notice if we feel like doing so!

Thursday 07/07
We took delivery of Teabus (Ocean 204 DSG) on Weds and set off on Thursday for our first trip.
Even though everything was assembled it took a while to decide how to pack everything, especially trying to prevent things rattling in the kitchen cupboards!
By 12.00 we were off. We took sandwiches from our local tearoom for lunch. We had a short break on the M11 and arrived in Burnham Deepdale (from West Sussex) by 15.45. Not bad going and that included the Dart crossing on the M25!
We shared the driving and both agreed that the Cali is very nice to drive - good road handling and a great driving position as it’s high up. I would have liked a bit more adjustment in the steering wheel position (lower).
We only have one key as our Cali was delivered to the dealer with the second one missing.
We’re being very careful!
Burnham Deepdale campsite is in a nice spot, looking over open countryside. It has good facilities, is on a bus route, five minutes walk to the pub (White Horse) and has local shops and a cafe.
We were looked after very well on our arrival; shown to our pitch and all the facilities were explained to us. It took just a few minutes to fill her up with fresh water and then connect to the electric hook up.
We managed to swivel the seats round and set up the outdoor table and chairs. Putting the roof up is easy. Less successful with the awning. We couldn’t get one of the legs to ‘lock’ into place. So, that went back into place and we sat in the shade behind the tailgate. Then it was time to crack open the Cremant and toast Teabus!
We decided to go to the pub - we had a delicious supper at their ‘pop up’ overlooking the salt marshes.
We found that the showers in the wet rooms on the campsite were very good and spotlessly clean.
Setting up the beds was fine although everything seems a bit stiff or clunky (rock and roll bed and the sliding hatch to get to the roof bed in particular.
Really impressed with the fridge - quiet in operation and quite spacious. Chills things down perfectly.
Porta potti (smallest one - 335 I think from memory) fits at end of rock and roll bed on small fold up step/stool. Mentioning this because I wanted to know this sort of stuff!
We have a Cadac 30 with a separate cylinder so have used this to boil a kettle - pleased with this purchase.
We slept well on the first night. Delighted with our Duvalays. I slept ‘downstairs’ - husband ‘upstairs’.
Friday 08/07
I woke early and enjoyed watching little birds outside. Wanted a cup of tea but gas not connected yet (no spanner with us!).
Once we were up, we found the putting the Duvalays away was easy. Top bed has Duvalay still in as roof is up. Again a faff putting away the rock and roll bed. Had to reorganise the boot to get it to click into place as far back as possible! I’m sure something less difficult to operate could be designed - but it might be just us!
Breakfast outside was great - this is why we’re doing this! Several people chat to us and admire the Cali!
We don’t manage to leave the site until midday - having fun just being pleased with our new purchase! We find the bus has just gone so we go for a coffee and then walk down to look at the view out over the salt marshes to Brancaster Staithe (National Trust site).
We catch to bus to Wells next the sea and enjoy the ride along through Burnham Market. In Wells we head straight to the Crown (old favourite of ours). I have oysters and husband has prawns and we share a tomato and mozzarella salad - all delicious. We then enjoy Wells and buy several bits for Teabus - plastic ice cubes to freeze at the campsite freezer, a spanner and a mini electric kettle. We buy steak from Arthur Howell butchers and the first peas in the pod of the season from the fruit and veg shop.
We catch the 16.30 bus ‘home’ - it’s packed! The driver advised us not to get the last one back at 18.30 as if you can’t get on then you’re stranded!!
A lovely evening - nice bottle of wine and steak cooked on the Cadac. Follow this with local raspberries. I’d bought a pan and steamer from Sainsburys - fits well on the Cadac. It has little side handles - better than a long handle! The auto ignition on the Cadac fails - good job I’ve got a gas igniter!
Washing up is easy - glad We’ve got a collapsible washing up bowl.
Stay up chatting until late. I’m glad I bought fleecy blankets. Two new ones from Tweedmill (made in Britain - lovely quality). We have managed to set out the awning - pleased with it.
Setting up the beds is okay. Rock and roll bed is still clunky. Only thing I’m not impressed with! Other than that - absolutely love our new Cali!
More to follow - next stop Kelling Heath for three nights.
Please forgive any typos - written on my iPhone!

View attachment 95894

View attachment 95895

View attachment 95896

View attachment 95897

View attachment 95898

View attachment 95899
Thank you Brightonbelle, I enjoyed reading your adventure. My better half writes a diary every day while we are away in our van, it’s lovely to look back on where we’ve been, especially as we often can’t remember! Looks like you’re going to love your new van. We’ve had ours since 2009 and we’re still ”in love” with it.

Thanks seasiders1, glad you love your van. We really do like it. I’ve booked two nights in the new forest for next Tuesday and Wednesday and when the heatwave was announced I’ve phoned the site and they’ve kindly said I can move the dates to another time if it required. I can’t ask for better than that!

Thanks seasiders1, glad you love your van. We really do like it. I’ve booked two nights in the new forest for next Tuesday and Wednesday and when the heatwave was announced I’ve phoned the site and they’ve kindly said I can move the dates to another time if it required. I can’t ask for better than that!
Which site did you choose in the new forest, thinking this area will be my first trip when my van turns up.

Reactions: DMC
Long Meadow. Between Lyndhurst and Brockenhurst. It’s on a bus route (ten minutes ) walk which will save the faff of packing the van up for the day.
Lovely walk from the campsite through the woods and common to get to Brokenhurst.
exit the site via Bottom gate turn left for Brokenhurst right for Lyndhurst, you can cycle as well via the wood path, you can get pretty close to the ponies and cows on the common areas

i can recommend the Indian restaurant in Brokenhurst if you like Indian food.

Edit: the Pizza trailer on site looks pretty decent, but not tried it

Long Meadow. Between Lyndhurst and Brockenhurst. It’s on a bus route (ten minutes ) walk which will save the faff of packing the van up for the day.
Thanks, I look forward to reading your review of this trip. I really like the area around Brockenhurst.

Thanks, we’ll do the walk. Yes, we love Indian food. Doing fat fighters at the moment so I’m afraid we won’t be having pizza!

Thanks, we’ll do the walk. Yes, we love Indian food. Doing fat fighters at the moment so I’m afraid we won’t be having pizza!
If you can’t see the gate either follow the path / roadway past the washing up station ( wash station on your right) head towards the corner of the campsite & you will see the gate
or ask the Wardens for directions.

Remember Left Brokenhurst, Right Lyndhurst

Thursday 07/07
We took delivery of Teabus (Ocean 204 DSG) on Weds and set off on Thursday for our first trip.
Even though everything was assembled it took a while to decide how to pack everything, especially trying to prevent things rattling in the kitchen cupboards!
By 12.00 we were off. We took sandwiches from our local tearoom for lunch. We had a short break on the M11 and arrived in Burnham Deepdale (from West Sussex) by 15.45. Not bad going and that included the Dart crossing on the M25!
We shared the driving and both agreed that the Cali is very nice to drive - good road handling and a great driving position as it’s high up. I would have liked a bit more adjustment in the steering wheel position (lower).
We only have one key as our Cali was delivered to the dealer with the second one missing.
We’re being very careful!
Burnham Deepdale campsite is in a nice spot, looking over open countryside. It has good facilities, is on a bus route, five minutes walk to the pub (White Horse) and has local shops and a cafe.
We were looked after very well on our arrival; shown to our pitch and all the facilities were explained to us. It took just a few minutes to fill her up with fresh water and then connect to the electric hook up.
We managed to swivel the seats round and set up the outdoor table and chairs. Putting the roof up is easy. Less successful with the awning. We couldn’t get one of the legs to ‘lock’ into place. So, that went back into place and we sat in the shade behind the tailgate. Then it was time to crack open the Cremant and toast Teabus!
We decided to go to the pub - we had a delicious supper at their ‘pop up’ overlooking the salt marshes.
We found that the showers in the wet rooms on the campsite were very good and spotlessly clean.
Setting up the beds was fine although everything seems a bit stiff or clunky (rock and roll bed and the sliding hatch to get to the roof bed in particular.
Really impressed with the fridge - quiet in operation and quite spacious. Chills things down perfectly.
Porta potti (smallest one - 335 I think from memory) fits at end of rock and roll bed on small fold up step/stool. Mentioning this because I wanted to know this sort of stuff!
We have a Cadac 30 with a separate cylinder so have used this to boil a kettle - pleased with this purchase.
We slept well on the first night. Delighted with our Duvalays. I slept ‘downstairs’ - husband ‘upstairs’.
Friday 08/07
I woke early and enjoyed watching little birds outside. Wanted a cup of tea but gas not connected yet (no spanner with us!).
Once we were up, we found the putting the Duvalays away was easy. Top bed has Duvalay still in as roof is up. Again a faff putting away the rock and roll bed. Had to reorganise the boot to get it to click into place as far back as possible! I’m sure something less difficult to operate could be designed - but it might be just us!
Breakfast outside was great - this is why we’re doing this! Several people chat to us and admire the Cali!
We don’t manage to leave the site until midday - having fun just being pleased with our new purchase! We find the bus has just gone so we go for a coffee and then walk down to look at the view out over the salt marshes to Brancaster Staithe (National Trust site).
We catch to bus to Wells next the sea and enjoy the ride along through Burnham Market. In Wells we head straight to the Crown (old favourite of ours). I have oysters and husband has prawns and we share a tomato and mozzarella salad - all delicious. We then enjoy Wells and buy several bits for Teabus - plastic ice cubes to freeze at the campsite freezer, a spanner and a mini electric kettle. We buy steak from Arthur Howell butchers and the first peas in the pod of the season from the fruit and veg shop.
We catch the 16.30 bus ‘home’ - it’s packed! The driver advised us not to get the last one back at 18.30 as if you can’t get on then you’re stranded!!
A lovely evening - nice bottle of wine and steak cooked on the Cadac. Follow this with local raspberries. I’d bought a pan and steamer from Sainsburys - fits well on the Cadac. It has little side handles - better than a long handle! The auto ignition on the Cadac fails - good job I’ve got a gas igniter!
Washing up is easy - glad We’ve got a collapsible washing up bowl.
Stay up chatting until late. I’m glad I bought fleecy blankets. Two new ones from Tweedmill (made in Britain - lovely quality). We have managed to set out the awning - pleased with it.
Setting up the beds is okay. Rock and roll bed is still clunky. Only thing I’m not impressed with! Other than that - absolutely love our new Cali!
More to follow - next stop Kelling Heath for three nights.
Please forgive any typos - written on my iPhone!

View attachment 95894

View attachment 95895

View attachment 95896

View attachment 95897

View attachment 95898

View attachment 95899
I am soo pleased that you are clearly having lots of fun with your Cali and I have enjoyed reading your post, we have camped along the north Norfolk coast many times and it is a beautiful area whatever the weather!
Jut one small piece of advice, I notice from the photos of your erected awning, that the awning, when erected is flat, if it rains in this state you will find that a very large puddle forms on the top which is both a strain for the fabric and could result in you getting a little wet when you put the awning down! The way around this is to 'dip' the awning fabric by setting one leg a little lower than the other so that water on the awning fabric runs downhill and drains. It look s a little odd but it is a good practice (in my humble experience)!
Enjoy you travels
Tim

I am soo pleased that you are clearly having lots of fun with your Cali and I have enjoyed reading your post, we have camped along the north Norfolk coast many times and it is a beautiful area whatever the weather!
Jut one small piece of advice, I notice from the photos of your erected awning, that the awning, when erected is flat, if it rains in this state you will find that a very large puddle forms on the top which is both a strain for the fabric and could result in you getting a little wet when you put the awning down! The way around this is to 'dip' the awning fabric by setting one leg a little lower than the other so that water on the awning fabric runs downhill and drains. It look s a little odd but it is a good practice (in my humble experience)!
Enjoy you travels
Tim
Hi Tim
We are having such a great time! I will do just as you suggest with slightly angling the awning! Norfolk is gorgeous we’ve been going there for years and know it very well.