Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Beach is Back!

Copied the pic from elsewhere. Was advised my description of 2up, 2 down, was unclear to non dog owners.
So hopefully this helps with the explanation of why some of us want (a) room at the back that you get with a Beach and (b) access from sliding doors when towing or in the event of an accident.

232D9FCE-7F0C-40F4-9B2A-64A63A69485C.png

Well we'll have to wait and see but somehow I doubt that. If, as has been stated, the starting price is to be circa £53k then that's nearly £6k dearer than last years cheapest Beach. I can't see that price hike making the price of T6 Beaches fall. If anything that should ensure that they continue to hold their price well indeed.

I'm very pleased that they've decided to re-introduce it but I wonder if the new changes, nice as they are, will be worth the hefty extra premium?

There's no doubt that the pop up stove will prove to be a very useful addition for some. However I'm not so sure that every Beach owner will welcome it. The Beach is at it's best as a multi purpose family wagon. If the van's full of kids and dogs firing up a stove is last thing you'd want to engage in. However, regardless of you views, the lower rate of VED payable has to be a good thing and it's great for it's pure 007 gadget appeal alone. I'd love one but doubt if it would ever get used after the first week of ownership. I prefer cooking outside.

As for the second sliding door, I have to admit that originally I thought a second slider would be very useful especially in seven seat mode. However I'm not now so sure it would be worth the eye watering outlay. Having only one has never been an issue and even having it on the offside isn't really a problem either. If I'm dropping off the grand kids I merely park the other way round. I can see two other advantages though:

1. If the nearside gets damaged then it might be easier and possibly cheaper to fix.
2. In an accident involving damage to the O/S slider rear passengers could still be able to get out via the N/S slider.
Great response. For me, as for you, the stove doesn't appeal (but wouldn't say no to if it was reasonably priced and is removable, esp if there was a financial benefit). I hear what you say about the twin sliding doors. When I specc'd our T5 Kombi in 2013 I ordered twin sliding doors and as this was my first van until 2020 I only knew "van life" with them. It's taking some getting used to, having just the one, but there are advantages to this. I prefer the look of the interior as a result too. It's just less..."executive" for when you ferry friends around.

So at 53k it’s about 6 grand more than the previous Beach but you do get 17” alloys and either a kitchen pod or an additional sliding side door.
The base price of my 2017 Beach was £29,080.90 plus vat.
1601852656629.png

Great response. For me, as for you, the stove doesn't appeal (but wouldn't say no to if it was reasonably priced and is removable, esp if there was a financial benefit). I hear what you say about the twin sliding doors. When I specc'd our T5 Kombi in 2013 I ordered twin sliding doors and as this was my first van until 2020 I only knew "van life" with them. It's taking some getting used to, having just the one, but there are advantages to this. I prefer the look of the interior as a result too. It's just less..."executive" for when you ferry friends around.
I think the twin sliders and the pop up stove are great additions although I question their cost verses benifit. It might be different for others but they wouldn't improve my current Beach by nearly £6k. Don't get me wrong, there great but I can't see myself using them that often.

I think the twin sliders and the pop up stove are great additions although I question their cost verses benifit. It might be different for others but they wouldn't improve my current Beach by nearly £6k. Don't get me wrong, there great but I can't see myself using them that often.
But would the difference in VED and the Luxury Car Tax make a difference?

But would the difference in VED and the Luxury Car Tax make a difference?
Well the difference in VED would certainly make it better value but that would only apply to the 'Camper' version. How would the luxury car tax effect pricing? Has that changed?

We'll have to wait and see because, as has already been said, VW may have changed their usual pricing strategy and included more equipment as standard on the base spec Beach. If they have, then that may also make a new T6-1 more attractive. However so far they have always viewed the Beach as the entry level Cali and have specced it accordingly.

Well the difference in VED would certainly make it better value but that would only apply to the 'Camper' version. How would the luxury car tax effect pricing? Has that changed?

We'll have to wait and see because, as has already been said, VW may have changed their usual pricing strategy and included more equipment as standard on the base spec Beach. If they have, then that may also make a new T6-1 more attractive. However so far they have always viewed the Beach as the entry level Cali and have specced it accordingly.
One would expect the difference in VED and luxury car tax would be reflected in the OTR price, at least the 1st year.

Yeah... but wasn’t yours 2nd hand???!!!
And you know what I mean!

I know what you mean. Amarillo was pre-registered with delivery miles only and never even used as a showroom demonstrator.

But even if you disregard all that and look at the 2017 list price of £40,578 (before delivery charges and registration), the quoted £56,000 is a 38% price increase over 3 1/2 years.

One would expect the difference in VED and luxury car tax would be reflected in the OTR price, at least the 1st year.
As always the VED situation on new cars is complicated, at least it is for me! As far as I understand it, a new system for calculating basic VED was introduced for new car registrations from April 1st 2020 which will almost certainly cost the owners of new non EV cars registered since then more than in previous years. In addition, whilst new and existing EVs will no longer attract the £325 extra luxury vehicle tax until, I believe 2025, anyone buying a new diesel Beach for example would still be obliged to pay it. So the OTR prices will be higher than older vehicles to reflect the change in basic VED. By how much is still a mystery to me but will almost certainly be responsible in part for the price hike. Then there's the changes/reduction in VED rates for Motor Caravans to factor in. IF I am still on the right track, that will only effect the "Camper" version with the pop up stove.

The eventual OTR prices will have to have taken into account all these changes. However, in the absence of further info, circa £53k still appears to me to be a massive jump from the 2019 basic OTR Beach price.

I know what you mean. Amarillo was pre-registered with delivery miles only and never even used as a showroom demonstrator.

But even if you disregard all that and look at the 2017 list price of £40,578 (before delivery charges and registration), the quoted £56,000 is a 38% price increase over 3 1/2 years.
I’m not denying that in the last 3/4 years the increase is massive but I’m not sure its anywhere near 38% once we are able to compare like for like spec. The new Beach is around 54k OTR and we already know it comes with at least 17” alloys, 6.5” screen + App Connect, and either the pop hob or extra door. These items alone would be in the region of 3 grand.

I paid circa 40k for my heavily discounted (11%) first Beach in March 2016. (I recall it had around 6-7 grands worth of options)

I suspect a standard T6.1 with discount but with a much better spec will be in the region of 50k.

Just popped into Beadles and looked at the Internal information.

It states that the Beach Camper is £52,300 + OTR and it comes with 4 seats as standard and a 5th seat as an option. An awning is also standard on the Camper version.

It also states that the Tour is available with 7 seats. This leads me to believe that the Camper will only be available with a 2 seat rear bench.

Only 150 DSG aswell.

I would of chosen a Camper with 3 seat rear Bench but it seems that won’t be available. Typical! It’s obviously to stop the Camper (with lower VED rating) being used as a 7 seater.

It also states that the Tour is available with 7 seats. This leads me to believe that the Camper will only be available with a 2 seat rear bench.
I believe that with the European Beach Tour there is the option to delete the second sliding door and specify the pop up stove instead. Such a vehicle would retain the three seat bench and may qualify for lower Campervan VED. Presumably, you could still have seven seats as well.

If I'm correct then will buyers be offered this same option here in the UK?20190914_103606.jpg

I believe that with the European Beach Tour there is the option to delete the second sliding door and specify the pop up stove instead. Such a vehicle would retain the three seat bench and may qualify for lower Campervan VED. Presumably, you could still have seven seats as well.

If I'm correct then will buyers be offered this same option here in the UK?View attachment 67430

Unfortunately I don’t think it’s going to be available. It specifically mentions 4 seats as standard with a 5 seat as an option.

Unfortunately I don’t think it’s going to be available. It specifically mentions 4 seats as standard with a 5 seat as an option.
That sort of makes sense if it is the built in cooking facility that defines it as a camper rather than a luxury car for tax purposes.

I still think that I would prefer the continental version with two doors and up to seven seats.

Just popped into Beadles and looked at the Internal information.

It states that the Beach Camper is £52,300 + OTR and it comes with 4 seats as standard and a 5th seat as an option. An awning is also standard on the Camper version.
If we were looking to change our Beach, which we aren’t at the moment, ideally our choice would be the Camper with 4 seats and 2 sliding doors, which apparently isn’t an option :(

ideally our choice would be the Camper with 4 seats and 2 sliding doors, which apparently isn’t an option :(
It's a while since we've seen photos of the 'kitchen' but it uses a 904 gas cylinder which is way wider than a sliding door, so the camper version is never going to be available with 2 sliding doors (at least until they realise they should have made it with slim disposable / recyclable gas cannisters).

Just to add what I have previously posted on a different thread:

This is what they sell in Germany:

Beach Camper or Beach Tour

The Camper can only be bought with the two seat bench and an additional seat if you want in the middle row (so 5 seats max). It also comes with the mini kitchen as standard. For registration purposes it is classed as a Campervan. I tried to buy one with a 3 seat bench but it was not possible.

The Tour can come with a 2 or 3 seat bench and has twin sliding doors. One of these can be deleted and have a mini kitchen in its place. The tour is classed as an MPV for registration.

I collected my Tour Edition in August with a three seat bench as well as another 'middle row' seat (so 6 seater) and a mini kitchen. You only get a single door if you choose the kitchen in its place. It will be registered as a 7 seat MPV. I could have ordered a 7th seat as well but didn't. Also ordered the parking heater and a detachable tow bar.

It was listed as €60k before tax. Although I did get a healthy 22% discount on this price.

So far very happy with it, although yet to do a night away.

Presume UK market will be the same specification.

I’m trying to get a look at how the Beach Camper camping unit works / looks in practise. In the UK, as it’s only recently been announced there isn’t much info available.
I believe these models have been available longer in Europe (I could be wrong).
One of my questions is to how / where the gas bottle is stored for the Beach Camper. Is there a fixed container for it and if so where is it and can someone provide pictures of it. Thanks.

how / where the gas bottle is stored for the Beach Camper. Is there a fixed container for it and if so where is it and can someone provide pictures of it. Thanks.
My understanding it is in where the the door would be in a locker and uses a 904 rather than a 907

Back