Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Beach is Back!

Unless it comes as a huge cost saving over the non cooker model - due to being a motorhome - I think I'd be opting for the twin slider and a £10 cartridge cooker.
It's a pity that would mean you're then forced to have the 3 seat bench with the higher sleeping position and 'non flat' sleep surface.
The twin slider overcomes what many see in as the weakness in the UK (not me) of discharging passengers into traffic, and would be a boon for ventilation and flexibility of set up on site.

I wonder when it’ll be on the configurator?
And also when examples will be available to see in person?

I wonder when it’ll be on the configurator?
And also when examples will be available to see in person?
I doubt the configurator will be available before it goes on sale in UK end October.
And demo models will be few and far between (my guess) - people are struggling to find Coasts to test drive in some areas...

we took delivery of our 3 seater Beach Camper (Bella) on Friday ... already had it out and christened the single burner with a brew. If you want any specific photos or measurements just let me know.

... we are living near Marseille by the way just so as not to confuse.

we took delivery of our 3 seater Beach Camper (Bella) on Friday ... already had it out and christened the single burner with a brew. If you want any specific photos or measurements just let me know.

... we are living near Marseille by the way just so as not to confuse.

Hi, much space is there between the bottom of the fold out gas hob and the 3 seat bench seat. (ie - can you sit on the bench seat closest to the hob when it is folded down)

Hi, much space is there between the bottom of the fold out gas hob and the 3 seat bench seat. (ie - can you sit on the bench seat closest to the hob when it is folded down)
Would you want to? If you were to spill anything whilst cooking, it could go all over your legs. I suspect that safety is just one reason why many Beach owners prefer to cook outside. The issue isn't quite so accute with the Ocean or Coast as the cooker is part of a fixed kitchen range. However I've always felt that this single stove, whilst being absolutely gorgeous, does represent a risk inside a Beach. Any kids, dogs or adults for that matter could knock the stove upwards potentially spilling hot liquid. Maybe I'm just being an old worry guts but after a long career in the fire service I can see potential danger in many things. That said I still think it's a great gadget. It definately has that 007 Q factor. However, I'd resist the temptation to sit with your legs beneath it.

Would you want to? If you were to spill anything whilst cooking, it could go all over your legs. I suspect that safety is just one reason why many Beach owners prefer to cook outside. The issue isn't quite so accute with the Ocean or Coast as the cooker is part of a fixed kitchen range. However I've always felt that this single stove, whilst being absolutely gorgeous, does represent a risk inside a Beach. Any kids, dogs or adults for that matter could knock the stove upwards potentially spilling hot liquid. Maybe I'm just being an old worry guts but after a long career in the fire service I can see potential danger in many things. That said I still think it's a great gadget. It definately has that 007 Q factor. However, I'd resist the temptation to sit with your legs beneath it.
I think that @Ch1pbutty is referring to the leg room when the hob is packed away.

My own understanding was the the hob folds away into the cavity behind the trim and therefore there is no loss of legroom space.

All is our cooking is done outside on a Gas Cobb, but after a surf in the winter usually make a coffee inside the van with a small folding gas stove, tend to use the large table at the moment; With the folding cooker lid down, looks like it can also used a small table to put your cup etc on.

I think that @Ch1pbutty is referring to the leg room when the hob is packed away.

My own understanding was the the hob folds away into the cavity behind the trim and therefore there is no loss of legroom space.

I'm still comparing the merits of a foldaway cooker v twin sliders. Twin sliders are winning at the moment even with the increased VED.

All is our cooking is done outside on a Gas Cobb, but after a surf in the winter usually make a coffee inside the van with a small folding gas stove, tend to use the large table at the moment; With the folding cooker lid down, looks like it can also used a small table to put your cup etc on.
That's what I assumed you meant, i.e with it in use. Yes I can certainly see the merits of this great new addition but caution using it whilst sitting in the nearside rear bench seat position for the reason given. The same level of risk doesn't exist on the two seat rear bench version as the storage box is located beneath the cooker.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love one myself as I think it's a great piece of design however in our case I don't think it would get that much use. Basically because we rarely boil anything inside our van and that was the case even when we owned an SE. We usually use a thermos jug that we've prepared at home before setting out. It's safer and involves a lot less hassle. Old habits die hard I suppose!

If/when I decide to replace our current Beach I would be hard pressed to make up my mind which version would be the most useful to us. When I started looking, our ideal vehicle was the lwb Caravelle with bed pack. From memory that pack involved window blinds and the multiflex board with a mattress. It also featured twin sliders. Then I discovered the Beach or rather the salesman said what do you want one of those for when you can have a Beach instead. Frankly we haven't found having one slider on the wrong side an issue. I'm not saying that a second slider wouldn't be useful because clearly it would but again not, that often. Anyway I won't have to make that decision for quite some time if ever.

Last edited:
That's what I assumed you meant, i.e with it in use. Yes I can certainly see the merits of this great new addition but caution using it whilst sitting in the nearside rear bench seat position for the reason given. The same level of risk doesn't exist on the two seat rear bench version as the storage box is located beneath the cooker.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love one myself as I think it's a great piece of design however in our case I don't think it would get that much use. Basically because we rarely boil anything inside our van and that was the case even when we owned an SE. We usually use a thermos jug that we've prepared at home before setting out. It's safer and involves a lot less hassle. Old habits die hard I suppose!

If/when I decide to replace our current Beach I would be hard pressed to make up my mind which version would be the most useful to us. When I started looking, our ideal vehicle was the lwb Caravelle with bed pack. From memory that pack involved window blinds and the multiflex board with a mattress. It also featured twin sliders. Then I discovered the Beach or rather the salesman said what do you want one of those for when you can have a Beach instead. Frankly we haven't found having one slider on the wrong side an issue. I'm not saying that a second slider wouldn't be useful because clearly it would but again not, that often. Anyway I won't have to make that decision for quite some time if ever.

Haha, We almost bought a 2012 limited edition caravelle (180bhp auto, leather, sliding window blinds, bed pack etc, it had even had a £9k replacement engine etc fitted by VW) with the intention of fitting a pop top, table & chairs etc...but worked out almost the same to buy our 2012 Beach. Although after seeing the old corrosion bubble on the roof on ours, maybe a fibreglass roof might have been a better option!

If that is what he meant then I agree.
Haha, We almost bought a 2012 limited edition caravelle (180bhp auto, leather, sliding window blinds, bed pack etc, it had even had a £9k replacement engine etc fitted by VW) with the intention of fitting a pop top, table & chairs etc...but worked out almost the same to buy our 2012 Beach. Although after seeing the old corrosion bubble on the roof on ours, maybe a fibreglass roof might have been a better option!
Putting a pop top on a Caravelle isn't that easy so I'm glad we were steared in the direction of the Beach. Mind you, at that time I wasn't even thinking about pop tops. So with the Beach we had a big bonus but lost the N/S slider.

I'm still comparing the merits of a foldaway cooker v twin sliders.
I wonder why they haven't built a little fold up table into the 2nd (UK nearside) sliding door?
If you can fit the big table in the other with plenty of room behind, you could build something fab into the 'free' sliding door.

I wonder why they haven't built a little fold up table into the 2nd (UK nearside) sliding door?
If you can fit the big table in the other with plenty of room behind, you could build something fab into the 'free' sliding door.
Getting a 904 gas bottle in the sliding door might be a bit of an issue.

Getting a 904 gas bottle in the sliding door might be a bit of an issue.
I'm on about the 2nd slider, so there is no daft cooker, just a table to put your £10 cartridge cooler - hey presto, instant single burner AND the benefits of 2 doors.

I'm still comparing the merits of a foldaway cooker v twin sliders. Twin sliders are winning at the moment even with the increased VED.
I can’t see you having to make that decision, reading the release info, i don’t think the 3 seat bench with pop hob will be available in the UK.

I can’t see you having to make that decision, reading the release info, i don’t think the 3 seat bench with pop hob will be available in the UK.
That’s what I read too. 2 seater ‘Camper’ with pop up stove and wind out awning. And 3 seater with double sliding doors and no wind out awning. The wind out awning is a bit of a red herring, I think, as it just makes the two versions a similar price.

The wind out awning is needed to make it a camper for DVLA

The wind out awning is needed to make it a camper for DVLA
If that this the case then the rules have changed. My 2016 Ocean had no wind out awning. Was still a camper in UK for DVLA.

Rules changed last year, but some of them don’t seem to apply to VW ie. needs to have a high top not a pop top, and the beach with the built in job shouldn’t comply due to no water system.

A 2016 should never have been registered as a motor caravan under the rules in place at the time - No cooking facility & no water but Vw seem to get away with it.

Hi there - no problem will do in the morning and post a photo and measurement.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few twists and turns in the whole ‘is the Beach with a Cooker a Motorhome?’ It’s classed as a camper / motorhome in some continental markets, and I’ve a lingering suspicion that will have tricked VW uk Marketing dept (who remember were bright enough to withdraw it) to think that will be the same here. We’ll see....

The Beach is back memo clearly states that the Beach with pop hob has the lower VED due to the motorhome classification.

No doubt that having the awning as standard on this model also has something to do with this classification.

Back