Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The best just keeps on getting better

Shaun

Shaun

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We have always loved camping, outdoorsy type activities etc , this being the case we have had numerous camper vans all VW I might add.
But since we moved over to a California things have definitely changed for the better, we've had more trips away , gone further afield and got there and back succesfully each time without mechanical emergencies.
Last year was the first year in the last 20 that we actually camped until the end of November comfortably.
The journeys we make always feel like mini adventures and driving the Cali is a pleasure, so much so that there is always a battle for the drivers seat when we set off anywhere.
The more time we spend in the van the more we want to spend.
Would we ever go back to splittys or bays? Not a chance ! As much as we like them ,with all their maintenance requirements and constant nasty surprises they produce they just can't provide the "just jump in and go anywhere anytime " lifestyle which the Cali is so good at..
Our van gets serviced once a year washed regularly ;) and that's about it.
Every time it's used we find more nooks and crannies for storage and easier ways to set up camp.
As we were packing up to come home last weekend my partner Joanne was "up top " sorting out the bedding and I was outside winding up the hookup I heard her say to herself " I bloody love this van"
I had a chuckle and thought to myself" yep so do I!"
Anyone else love their Cali?
Don't be shy, post up and tell us why :thumb

as you said it is a life style thing

Can a "lifestyle thing" still be a "stylish life" thing, though?

There must be many on here who have evolved to a modern van but who cling to former glories with retro touches throughout their van.

We switched from camping at the end of last year. Haven't looked back once. Now we can camp all year round. :)

Cali passed MOT on Wednesday
Commer decided to eat its own accelerator cable ON THE WAY to its MOT on Thursday
nuff siad

Well said Shaun ;) Like you we've had lots of VW campers over the last 15 years or so, splits, bays, a T25 Westy, loved them all and the memories of them will stay with me forever. But.... in the end the stress of 'will we ever get there, will it start, how much will it cost when it breaks down', etc etc, wore me down to a point where it simply wasn't enjoyable anymore! Not to mention the added cost given that the 'camper' was always the second vehicle in the family, and ALWAYS cost more to run!!

Life can offer you some funny twists and turns, and earlier this year I found myself in the once unthinkable position of being able to afford the Holy Grail that is a BRAND NEW VW California :bananadance:bananadance:bananadance:bananadance!!!!!!!!

I am beyond grumpy at having to wait for so long for it, still not had a confirmed build date, yet! BUT...the anticipation and excitement at the 'just jump in and go', the prospect of being able to have a much longer camping season thanks to the comfort, reliability, and THAT heater :), not to mention the sheer joy at having it as my daily drive, is just about keeping me sane, for now!

I LOVE my van.
Life is so sad at the moment, but I just need to see a van, and I come out in goosebumps. I visit my van and breathe in its lovely 'new' smell.
In times of loneliness and sadness, I just want my Fred, Dottie and me lifestyle. They are my family.
I love the simplicity of van life.
I love that I have a mini version of everything I need in it.
I look round and see Dottie harnessed onto the back bench when we're trundling along and feel so proud and smug.
Life is wonderful and stress free when it's just Fred,Dottie and me!

We are new Cali owners (May this year) having been campers for years and have clocked up 22 nights already, WE LOVE IT. Dora has cost us a fortune as we have had to have a chunk cut off our down stair toilet , gates widened and a new patio to accommodate her in the back garden ( to keep her safe). I walk past and touch her every time I go down the garden. I can't wait to go away in her again. The kids are fed of hearing about 'the van' . I love the thought of 'let's go'. Off to Devon with the kids( aged 21 and 24) for bank holiday and Weymouth meet in September .

Excellent post Shaun. Like you,we are outdoorsy and always camped. Now in our 50's , the knees and back just can't take it anymore! We have had our van nearly 18 months and managed 41 nights away so far, but looking forward to many many more. It really is a joy to drive and camp in. I absolutely love sitting in a nice toasty warm van with a glass of vin rouge and watching the alpenglow in the French Alps (please insert all other locations too, even my mum's driveway !). Like Speleo62,we also had to spend extra to keep it safe(new garage door which leaves only 3 inches spare). I often say "I bloody love this van" too:thumb:bananadance:bananadance

What a lovely post :D

The Cali does that for many, for most: The smile gets broader, the happiness levels rise, the blood pressure lowers, the uses for its increase and the uses for anything else decrease.

Yes, brilliant isn't it :thumb:D

:thumbBeen there OP. Type 2s x2, had a T4 which was great, then T5 and since 2012 a Cali Beach. Easily the best vehicle I've had to date.
Infact we are considering changing into a T6, purely because the dealers have offered us a good price on our current Beach and it's hard to ignore such a great deal.
I was trying to resist because I'm not keen on this add blu stuff. Still not to sure...???
Either way the only vehicle I would consider purchasing to replace my Cali is another Cali and I've never owned the same vehicle twice.

Which says it all really;)

I to fr
We have always loved camping, outdoorsy type activities etc , this being the case we have had numerous camper vans all VW I might add.
But since we moved over to a California things have definitely changed for the better, we've had more trips away , gone further afield and got there and back succesfully each time without mechanical emergencies.
Last year was the first year in the last 20 that we actually camped until the end of November comfortably.
The journeys we make always feel like mini adventures and driving the Cali is a pleasure, so much so that there is always a battle for the drivers seat when we set off anywhere.
Would we ever go back to splittys or bays? Not a chance ! As much as we like them ,with all their maintenance requirements and constant nasty surprises they produce they just can't provide the "just jump in and go anywhere anytime " lifestyle which the Cali is so good at..
Every time it's used we find more nooks and crannies for storage and easier ways to set up camp.
As we were packing up to come home last weekend my partner Joanne was "up top " sorting out the bedding and I was outside winding up the hookup I heard her say to herself " I bloody love this van"
om ons

Enjoying my first cali experience. 3 Weeks Sweden. Never camped before. Loving it ! Had some really bad weather and no problems. It is still a loaner from the garage. Ours arrived too late.

The one we have now is a coast, lacking many options we chose,nevertheless it is a cool thing!

The ocean is due to arrive on our return from holiday.

I will be selling my midlife crisis Mercedes for the 2nd dream car the Cali.

Greetings from sunny Ljugarn, Gotland Sweden .

I absolutely love my bright red Cali ('Chili') too. I previously had a Bay for a few years until spine problems meant I couldn't comfortably drive or use it anymore as everything caused pain! I do still miss it in some ways, but the mod-cons and the luxury of driving a modern vehicle (my car is 13 and I have old motorbikes too) outweighs any regrets. The best thing is that - despite any health problems - I CAN actually camp again and make the most of weekends, so it gave me some of my life back...and that's priceless!

Back