Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The CFCA 180 bi-turbo oil consumption

V

Vagophile

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Having just changed the oil on my 2014 model California SE 180, I thought that documenting my experience might help anyone thinking of a similar purchase. I have owned the vehicle for four years, it's a good high spec vehicle and has the "D" category EGR. The mileage at purchase was 65490 miles. For the first three years it ran along quite happily, although covid and other medical problems meant that it wasn't used very much. After the third year it began to use a bit of oil and has continued to do so. Current mileage 68311.
I did a quick calculation on consumption and the result was 2038km/litre. As the mileage is unlikely to be very high for the forseeable future, I will just keep checking the oil level and enjoy the bits that work very well and for which I chose this vehicle. I have to say that there was no indication that something like this would happen when I bought it and I am prepared to write it down as "unfortunate"; I guess that at some future date a new engine will be on the cards. Caveat emptor.

Last edited:
Sad to hear. I suppose the D cooler may have been a red flag.

My 2015 (C cooler) is on 75700miles ish and doesn't use oil but then again I gave up with VW and went down the annual service route and then finally emulated / blanked the EGR at 44k miles until a solution was forthcoming.

Sorry to hear that.
My 2014 180 is now on 137,000 miles. Original 2014 EGR - doesn't have the A,B,C or D suffix.
0 mls oil consumption between annual oil changes.

I never cease to be amazed by what manufacturers claim as acceptable oil consumption. So with BMW unless you are consuming more than 1 litre / thousand miles they are not interested. I have never had a vehicle that has been close to that. My current VWs (T-roc petrol and the Cali), don't seem to use any oil between services.

I think you are long way from new engine territory however. Most oil consumption issues on turbo diesels are resolved through seals associated with the turbo / EGR systems. You could also up the grade of oil a little to slow consumption at the expense of a little bit of fuel economy.

Also I see you are doing very few miles. It might actually improve with use as you might just have a sticking oil control ring on one or more of the pistons and a bit more use may free that up. So don't despair! Lots of options before a new engine or engine rebuild.

Last edited:
Having just changed the oil on my 2014 model California SE 180, I thought that documenting my experience might help anyone thinking of a similar purchase. I have owned the vehicle for four years, it's a good high spec vehicle and has the "D" category EGR. The mileage at purchase was 65490 miles. For the first three years it ran along quite happily, although covid and other medical problems meant that it wasn't used very much. After the third year it began to use a bit of oil and has continued to do so. Current mileage 68311.
I did a quick calculation on consumption and the result was 2038km/litre. As the mileage is unlikely to be very high for the forseeable future, I will just keep checking the oil level and enjoy the bits that work very well and for which I chose this vehicle. I have to say that there was no indication that something like this would happen when I bought it and I am prepared to write it down as "unfortunate"; I guess that at some future date a new engine will be on the cards. Caveat emptor.
As a new VW supplied engine would be around £12,000 fitted, that’s an awful lot of oil top ups. You could get a compression test done to see what, if any, bore wear has occurred, it could be something else causing the oil consumption. In the meantime, carry oil, and carry on:)

Thanks for the replies and commiserations. @m10chkcalifornia, you could be right, as also suggested by @vmaxkiddy. I suppose that I have assumed a worst case scenario (probably all the things that I have read on this forum) and things may not be terminal. I agree that ongoing there are a number of options, and also that the best current advice is carry oil and carry on.

Back