Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The coffee thread

Just bought an additional 3-cup Bialetti (to keep in our Ocean) together with a Bialetti Frother which we used over the Easter weekend. Got perfect lattes and straight coffees with very little effort and very little clean up. It’s a very satisfying process too!

We have one which we keep in the Cali.Also good for a frothy cocoa.

Here some vids , on my Iphone while on the road so taken me bit longer to search ...
Used mine just this morning in the Cali while abroad in France
Well I've watched the video but a) I can't see the point of the upside down bit as you still have to turn it right way up and B) I've never had any problem with the paddle! Think I'll just stick to the normal method!

@BikerGran , using the Aeropress upside-down means the coffee is not dripping thru from the first pour of water ....
When Upside-down the coffee is a lot stronger becose the grind and water have more time together.
That depends how long you leave it before pressing through. But I can see that you prefer to do it that way.

That depends how long you leave it before pressing through. But I can see that you prefer to do it that way.

From the moment there's water poured in the Aeropress starts dripping than you need to sqeeze in the part with the rubber , before you even can start pressing there's a load water/coffee gone thru meaning lighter coffee
Upside-down means no dripping until you turn and longer time to blend , you can start pressing instantly from the moment you turn over on the cup resulting in (to me ) stronger and better coffee

From the moment there's water poured in the Aeropress starts dripping than you need to sqeeze in the part with the rubber , before you even can start pressing there's a load water/coffee gone thru meaning lighter coffee
Upside-down means no dripping until you turn and longer time to blend , you can start pressing instantly from the moment you turn over on the cup resulting in (to me ) stronger and better coffee
Or, saving the planet, less coffee for the same strength.

I didn't know about this trick until this thread and now I'm upside down every time! :thumb

61023b0d84053b1bbc13dde8ec967896.jpg

Am oomph I well worth considering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or, saving the planet, less coffee for the same strength.

I didn't know about this trick until this thread and now I'm upside down every time! :thumb
I spose I'll have to try it now!

Good review. I'll stick with the Aeropress and Nanopresso I think.

At home it’s an Aeropress or my La Pavoni but in the van I want quick and simple.....

2C423295-035A-4C3B-A423-F441CCCB6B40.jpeg

I had to admit that the nespresso coffee was actually nice at the weekend could this be a mains free alternative?

Good with the pods apparently but no power

Last edited:

I had to admit that the nespresso coffee was actually nice at the weekend could this be a mains free alternative?
Another variation! I wonder if it would work as well if the coffee had been tamped down into the filter properly, looked far to loose for my liking!
Still reckon the Aeropress is a good compromise.

Good with the pods apparently but no power
I have found that the Nanopresso with Nespresso type pods makes very good coffee with lots of crema without the mess of ground coffee. Our local Aldi had some Nespresso type pods at a very reasonable price in various strengths, the Ristretto being my favourite.

BTW, I have found that the pods can be recycled by removed the old coffee and foil, refilling with fresh coffee and covering with kitchen foil. Don't tell Nestlé!

I’ve tried a 12v handpresso - that was/is good. Pods can sometimes break open making a mess and the machine sometimes goes funny but works again after drying out (probably can call that user error!). The pods are not available in shops but can be ordered online.
This one: https://www.handpresso.com/en/handpresso-auto-13.html

I’ve tried a cafetière but it sort of makes too much coffee and is really quite messy with all the coffee grounds and used coffee grounds.

My favourite currently is the minipresso machine. You put the nesspresso pod in and boiling water and use a handpump to make the coffee. I already have nespresso pods and you can get them in most shops.

What are you using?
This one: 47894

Last edited:
Back