Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The coffee thread

Ha! Love such threads! Our set up:

When there is time: we use the Staresso:

51lf7IrDzvL._SY355_.jpg

It can work with Nespresso-like cups. Clones of such cups exist in bio-degrable material, so ideal for 'on the road'.

When we have even more time (more of a hassle to clean) we can also do freshly ground coffee with our Time More compact grinder:

5740231863.jpg

When we are 'en route' with little time: a thermos with hot water prepared at breakfast time, and Nescafe instant espresso:

nescafe-gold-espresso-jar-front-pitch_1.png

Last edited:
Ha! Love such threads! Our set up:

When there is time: we use of the Staresso:

51lf7IrDzvL._SY355_.jpg

It can work with Nespresso-like cups. Clones of such cups exist in bio-degrable material, so ideal for 'on the road'.

When we have even more time (more of a hassle to clean) we can also do freshly ground coffee with our Time More compact grinder:

5740231863.jpg

When we are 'en route' with little time: a thermos with hot water prepared at breakfast time, and Nescafe instant espresso:

nescafe-gold-espresso-jar-front-pitch_1.png
Porlex mini grinder for us - small compact and does the job well.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01B77O8FM/?tag=eliteelect-21

I don't drink coffee, so I don't make it myself.
There are different ways to get your coffee beans grinded. You can buy in a supermarket, you can buy the beans and grind them yourself. You could even fly over the ocean and pick your own beans from the trees. Then roast them yourself?
But once you have your grinded coffee beans, you just put as much as you want in a filter, pour over some boiled water. Catch up in a mug, or wherever you want to drink out. Add sugar or milk to your taste (or none). And... ready.
Or wasn't that your question?

I don't drink coffee, so I don't make it myself.
There are different ways to get your coffee beans grinded. You can buy in a supermarket, you can buy the beans and grind them yourself. You could even fly over the ocean and pick your own beans from the trees. Then roast them yourself?
But once you have your grinded coffee beans, you just put as much as you want in a filter, pour over some boiled water. Catch up in a mug, or wherever you want to drink out. Add sugar or milk to your taste (or none). And... ready.
Or wasn't that your question?
Nailed it.

Love the Aeropress I have. The best thing about it is the way the coffee grinds and paper filter just pop out into the bin. Had a cafetiere french press before and it was horrible to clean out. :happy

Love the Aeropress I have. The best thing about it is the way the coffee grinds and paper filter just pop out into the bin. Had a cafetiere french press before and it was horrible to clean out. :happy
Aeropress fab!
Use it at home and in Cali

I’ve tried a 12v handpresso - that was/is good. Pods can sometimes break open making a mess and the machine sometimes goes funny but works again after drying out (probably can call that user error!). The pods are not available in shops but can be ordered online.
This one: https://www.handpresso.com/en/handpresso-auto-13.html

I’ve tried a cafetière but it sort of makes too much coffee and is really quite messy with all the coffee grounds and used coffee grounds.

My favourite currently is the minipresso machine. You put the nesspresso pod in and boiling water and use a handpump to make the coffee. I already have nespresso pods and you can get them in most shops.

What are you using?
This one: View attachment 47894
I’ve tried a 12v handpresso - that was/is good. Pods can sometimes break open making a mess and the machine sometimes goes funny but works again after drying out (probably can call that user error!). The pods are not available in shops but can be ordered online.
This one: https://www.handpresso.com/en/handpresso-auto-13.html

I’ve tried a cafetière but it sort of makes too much coffee and is really quite messy with all the coffee grounds and used coffee grounds.

My favourite currently is the minipresso machine. You put the nesspresso pod in and boiling water and use a handpump to make the coffee. I already have nespresso pods and you can get them in most shops.

What are you using?
This one: View attachment 47894
I use the Nanopresso - boil water first flush warms it up and heats cup, second flush gives perfect espresso...

I also enjoy Latte etc as well so when travelling use stove based Atomic Coffee machine (www.atomiccoffeemachines.com.au) based on a 1950's Italian design. Not cheap but really good and can cater for several people at once.

Agree. Aeropress is the business. Very light, make a wide range of quantities and strengths and quickly, easy to store if you put the parts in a small caddy bag, easy to clean and dries quick. Website even extolls virtues of paper filters over espresso machines. www.aeropress.com

An old Moka Express on the stove, or an Aeropress

Yes, Aeropress here too. And I have a reusable filter, which is rather less convenient for popping the grinds out into the bin but does mean I never run out of the paper ones.

I have a Porlex grinder too, but when I'm in the van I'm on holiday, and that seems too much like work :)

The other thing we do to make drink consumption easier during the day is to fill up a flask from our little electric kettle before leaving the site (and the hook-up) in the morning. No need to bother with gas during the day. (And, in my humble opinion, the best vacuum flasks are the green ones made by Stanley.)

Good coffee makes our trips in the Cali just that bit more special. We always take a Nespresso Inissia and an Aeroccino milk frother. I love my coffee black but my husband prefers a latte. This works for us on EHU no chance of using the inverter as it’s 1,150-1,260watts (according to the label). We sit ours on the top above the sink. This works for us as we don’t tend to use the sink.
We used to use smart mugs when camping, a cafetière style insulated mug, lovely hot coffee but a pain to clean. Am tempted by the Aeropress for times when not on EHU but fear I may get in a mess, or perhaps I need to research some other device that will use pods...

image.jpg

I too am an Aeropress convert and I also treated myself to an Aergrind hand grinder. On the one hand, a time-consuming, slightly fiddly process, but on the other hand very zen given that I shouldn’t be in a hurry when I’m in full Cali mode.

Aeropress is remarkably clean to use and not too bulky, especially with a metal filter. The Aergrind sits inside the plunger and does a lovely job so I can buy small batches of beans locally.

I too am an Aeropress convert and I also treated myself to an Aergrind hand grinder. On the one hand, a time-consuming, slightly fiddly process, but on the other hand very zen given that I shouldn’t be in a hurry when I’m in full Cali mode.

Aeropress is remarkably clean to use and not too bulky, especially with a metal filter. The Aergrind sits inside the plunger and does a lovely job so I can buy small batches of beans locally.

How do you find the aergrind please?

Does it hold enough beans?

I’ve the feldgrind which is great but fancy aergrind as it fits in aeropress

It’ll take around 20g of beans. I like very strong coffee (but inexplicably weak tea) and a full grind does the trick nicely. Beautifully machined in the UK too, I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given up on espresso machines for home use.
Nothing bought or borrowed under £1000 worked for me.
Now use aeropress at home after fresh ground beans.
(occasionally stove top or french press).
Not too finely ground to prevent over extraction.
We find choice of beans is critical and depth of grind.
Massive choice in Glasgow.

In van, we find french press most convenient.
But individual stove tops for sheer atmosphere.
Tend to grind the beans at home for travel when less than a good few days.

Given up on aeropress in the van because even though we are areopress fans, it's too easy to knock over and a total sod to clean up. We're well into our 70s so it's probably an age thing.

French press with my new Ridge Monkey kettle or
the Bialetti.
IMG_6716.jpgIMG_6745.JPG
With good beans too.

Aeropress. very simple and no mess!

https://www.aeropress.co.uk/
Absolutely. One just ejects the grounds into the bin. The only slight snag is when you want more than one cup, then you have to do it twice. But it is quick. You can of course put in more coffee and make a very strong one that you can divide between more than one cup, but then that gets messy.

Back