Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The demise of diesel!

T

Tilbo

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi
With the governments new rules on the ban of new car sales of both petrol & diesel to start in 2030, what are peoples thoughts on buying a new California now, or in the next couple of years? Would you worry about further rules coming into force, bans for driving to certain places, resale values, higher fuel & taxes etc.
Would you delay purchase and wait for, hopefully a new electric version!
Interested to hear some thoughts on this topic.
Thanks for any replies.

Hi
With the governments new rules on the ban of new car sales of both petrol & diesel to start in 2030, what are peoples thoughts on buying a new California now, or in the next couple of years? Would you worry about further rules coming into force, bans for driving to certain places, resale values, higher fuel & taxes etc.
Thanks for any replies.
Not that long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel vehicles, now they would appear to be on their way out. Who knows where we will be in 9yrs? If electrically powered vehicles/campers evolve into usable long-distance transport I think more people will invest in them. But for me, I shall carry on enjoying my Cali for as long as possible in the hope that technology improves and will make the choice of what to do easier. I’m certain there will be a strong 2nd hand market after 2030, so you never know old diesel Campers might be sought after, as long as fuel prices stay affordable.

Just do it.

If you don't, you'll regret it.

As for the demise of diesel, by the time that happens you could have made many happy memories. Also EVs are only a stop gap measure. They aren't the answer either. So any future EV Cali is bound to be short lived as well.

Diesel and Petrol tax revenues will increase over time but as the revenue take declines the shortfall will be made up by increasing the tax on charging EV vehicles and EV Road fund tax unless the Government moves to a new system of toll charges for road use. Either way the annual tax take from private vehicle ownership and use will be maintained or increased one way or another.

Yes, I am a wee bit worried even about the near future ( 2- 3 years). It seems to sink in that we with our behaviour influenced the climate change.

Change of our behaviour should have happened 20 or even 30 years ago, in small and more manageable steps. But it didn't.

Now it seems that we try to catch-up in a short period of time.

Based on the latest announcements about the change of the climate, our Taoiseach was asked what he and the Government plans to do. The answer was to increase tax.

This is the part that worries me. In the past, even until recently, we've been told to purchase the latest cars with adblue, get the latest technology for heating the house etc. All this was sanctioned by the Government. Now all this is bad for the environment.

For me that means that the investments in houses, cars, etc. might be obsolete or not even half worth what we paid for. I wouldn't even be surprised if traveling without good reason is not forbidden, but travellers will be blamed. That this will have a massive impact on all tourist destination (as we have seen through the pandemic) is to be expected.

Yes, we need to do something to work against the uncontrolled climate change and the damage that we do to the earth, but I can't see this with a kind of "overlapping" technology. I mean with this that the old technology (California) needs to find its "natural end" and can only be replaced with new technology that is more environmentally friendly. With this our behaviour has to change as well (as I mentioned before should have started decades ago).

Nevertheless, we bought a GC 600 only a few weeks ago. But I am sure that this was the last diesel propelled vehicle we have bought during my lifetime. We plan to use it as much and as long as we can. Meaning as long as we can effort the diesel and tax.

Happy Grand California,
Eberhard

If anyone saw Guy Martin the other night will now see that we are being sold a lie. To start with there are at the present time anywhere near enough charging stations. 70p per kh to plug into a supercharger. The cost to recharge a run of the mill electric car on a 150 kw charger is twice the cost per mile of diesel. 150 miles in a car that supposedly should do 300+ miles. The latest VW electric van does something like 80 miles on a full charge and 55 mph. I think we have a hell of a long way to go now before I would consider buying an electric vehicle. Which before I watched that programme I truly was considering.

Yes, I am a wee bit worried even about the near future ( 2- 3 years). It seems to sink in that we with our behaviour influenced the climate change.

Change of our behaviour should have happened 20 or even 30 years ago, in small and more manageable steps. But it didn't.

Now it seems that we try to catch-up in a short period of time.

Based on the latest announcements about the change of the climate, our Taoiseach was asked what he and the Government plans to do. The answer was to increase tax.

This is the part that worries me. In the past, even until recently, we've been told to purchase the latest cars with adblue, get the latest technology for heating the house etc. All this was sanctioned by the Government. Now all this is bad for the environment.

For me that means that the investments in houses, cars, etc. might be obsolete or not even half worth what we paid for. I wouldn't even be surprised if traveling without good reason is not forbidden, but travellers will be blamed. That this will have a massive impact on all tourist destination (as we have seen through the pandemic) is to be expected.

Yes, we need to do something to work against the uncontrolled climate change and the damage that we do to the earth, but I can't see this with a kind of "overlapping" technology. I mean with this that the old technology (California) needs to find its "natural end" and can only be replaced with new technology that is more environmentally friendly. With this our behaviour has to change as well (as I mentioned before should have started decades ago).

Nevertheless, we bought a GC 600 only a few weeks ago. But I am sure that this was the last diesel propelled vehicle we have bought during my lifetime. We plan to use it as much and as long as we can. Meaning as long as we can effort the diesel and tax.

Happy Grand California,
Eberhard
until we get our numbers right, we can‘t correctly and effectively address the problem. Global car traffic accounts for 12% of global CO2 emissions.
There are a lot of countries, very highly populated ones, where car ownership is increasing fast but they are nowhere close to be able to use electric vehicles. The UK , and even more so Germany, are not going to save the planet because even as of tomorrow we just have electric vehicles, it would be a tiny % of the global CO2 that is not injected in the atmosphere. Especially in Germany where the energy mix is dependent on coal, so Co2 is produced to produce electricity, what have we solved?
Just ruined our car industry , cause additional financial expenditures for individual transportation and achieved almost nothing in reduction of co2.
what is the uk going to achieve banning electric cars unless europe does the same. How are we going to travel by car to other countries if they don‘t have an adequate network of charging points and Megawatts of electricity available? well we‘ll probably fly then, that will save a lot of Co2!

Live for today and enjoy life….so much can change in 9 years including the PM who makes all the sound bites because he is told to without thinking through all the issues of his proposals….whoever takes over will have a different plan anyway there will be no power for cars when all the households take up the £7k proposal to contribute for changing your boilers to an air source heat pump ….goodness those wind turbine will be spinning so fast !!!!

Live for today and enjoy life….so much can change in 9 years including the PM who makes all the sound bites because he is told to without thinking through all the issues of his proposals….whoever takes over will have a different plan anyway there will be no power for cars when all the households take up the £7k proposal to contribute for changing your boilers to an air source heat pump ….goodness those wind turbine will be spinning so fast !!!!
Air source heat pumps don't use much electricity - it is just used to run the pump and control electronics. We will have to move away from gas boilers and ICE vehicles. There is no plan B now.

Air source heat pumps don't use much electricity - it is just used to run the pump and control electronics. We will have to move away from gas boilers and ICE vehicles. There is no plan B now.
China built more than three times as much new coal power capacity as all the other countries in the world combined last year.

That’s according to a new survey by the San Francisco-based think tank Global Energy Monitor (GEM) and the independent organisation Centre for Research on Energy and Clean Air (CREA), which suggests China commissioned 38.4GW of new coal plants last year.

That translates to more than one large coal plant every week.

The research, which surveyed global coal-fired units through to 31st December, also shows 73GW of new coal power projects started in China, which is five times as much as in all other countries.

The report demonstrates Chinaʼs coal fleet grew by 29.8GW in 2020, while in the rest of the world’s net capacity decreased by 17.2GW.

We are just p......g in the wind, futile gestures, virtue signalling and wishful thinking, sad really.

I wouldn't believe anything that I've seen on the TV.
Pete Roberts.
Take a look at a real world test, Guy drove to John a groats, EV cost far out weigh fossil fuel and was a real test of current charging tech, which didn’t perform well. In summary double the cost and time !

that was a journey planned to give the best result for EV, which sadly went wrong in the real world scenario

The production of EV has not been factored in to any calcs, the rape of the earth in the name of “clean” energy Will become a major issue.
As far as I know Electricity can’t self produce and requires batteries to store for use !

where do all these EV vehicles come from ? Factories producing carbon emissions and waste !

I can't do the link but google neodyneum mine china and read this bbc article. People who think this is the way forward are virtue signalling idiots. Whichever government will be in charge come 2030 will make a massive cock up over this and we will pay the price.probably in tax

Screenshot_20210814-222344_Chrome.jpg

If anyone saw Guy Martin the other night will now see that we are being sold a lie. To start with there are at the present time anywhere near enough charging stations. 70p per kh to plug into a supercharger. The cost to recharge a run of the mill electric car on a 150 kw charger is twice the cost per mile of diesel. 150 miles in a car that supposedly should do 300+ miles. The latest VW electric van does something like 80 miles on a full charge and 55 mph. I think we have a hell of a long way to go now before I would consider buying an electric vehicle. Which before I watched that programme I truly was considering.
Done for affect and suits a narrative. Yes the range drops in the winter but it works its out and tells you in advance.

13500miles in eight months in our ID3 work car and I would hazzard a guess, less than £300 in electricity. Range is 270miles and it has done 240miles quite happily. However its the way it drives. I would have one in a moment but alas I need a vehicle that can take two dogs but sometimes four.

Done for affect and suits a narrative. Yes the range drops in the winter but it works its out and tells you in advance.

13500miles in eight months in our ID3 work car and I would hazzard a guess, less than £300 in electricity. Range is 270miles and it has done 240miles quite happily. However its the way it drives. I would have one in a moment but alas I need a vehicle that can take two dogs but sometimes four.
Narrative of a program promoting EVs ?
take a look at the program!

Hi
Thanks for any replies.
I've ordered now, and will drive with diesel until an electric conversion pack comes along.

If in 10 years it costs 10k to convert to electric I reckon that's a good deal all round.

Good bad or indifferent EV's are coming and diesel is dying. Pretty sure I read somewhere that Ev's are now a bigger share of new sales than diesel and more cities are looking to charge or ban diesel.
That said, and getting back on topic, if i didn't have a cali I would still buy one. Life's too short.

Narrative of a program promoting EVs ?
take a look at the program!
Did, watched it last night so fresh in mind, although it did drag it out a bit so stopped after he beat the Mclaren. It wasnt promoting EVs. Its was to do with producing a fast EV to take the record. Guy is a petrol head through and through.

Driving to John O Groats in a EV is not a promotion. However its not a journey that I've ever felt the urge to make.

Back