Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New government diesel tax.

Jaydub

Jaydub

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Just about to purchase a new California Beach but as the engines are EU5 and not EU6 will it cause resale problems in the future with this new government diesel tax coming in. I've read that all cars sold must be EU6 from Jan 2015 so a new engine must be on the way but then you have the hassle of ad blue. So buy now worry latter and hold off and see what happens over the next few months. Any thoughts on this ?

Buy now, they make it up as they go along :headbang

What's good this year will be bad for us next year.

It's unlikely EU 5 will be additionally taxed as it's still fitted with DPF & EGR as well as having BMT.

It'll be older diesels with no abatement technology that will be hit.

I also think that this current hype over diesels, pretty much started by Boris as plans really only currently pointed at London, have been largely blown out of proportion by uninformed journalists.

I also don't know that the government have actually come out and say there will be any new taxation for diesel cars. We are already paying more than Europe where diesel is cheaper as taxation is lower on diesel than petrol.

I saw a great article the other day that typically indicates how clueless the people are but had an interesting point from the SMMT -

"The automotive industry has committed billions of pounds in recent years to reduce and eliminate emissions from all engines types: it takes 100 cars produced today to emit as many polluting elements as one car made in the 1970s. Vehicles manufactured today feature filters that capture over 99% of particulates," says Keith Lewis, head of communications at the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders, which represents the industry. "Nitrogen oxides (NOx) emissions from cars [were] reduced 81% between 1990 and 2010, despite a 19% increase in distance travelled." He points out that "building generators, aeroplanes, trains, commercial boilers, patio heaters, all of which also produce the same emissions our sector is working so hard to reduce" have an impact in urban areas such as London.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... ing-cities

Don't know the regulations in UK ,
But if you going to purchase the car of your dreams ( hope so) why do you even think about things like "resale problems"...... :censor
If thats whats on your mind , your doin' the wrong thing.....
Just my opinion.

Hope you get your Beach and enjoy it until it falls appart.....so don't even think about reselling it before you even singed a order..... :bananadance

With the Cali, you are stuck with diesel. But for your other cars, personally, I would stick to petrol. Petrol is so much cleaner and the petrol engines are getting very efficient now. Second hand petrol cars tend to be much cheaper than second hand diesels.

There was talk of reducing speeds on the m1 between Nottingham and Sheffield to deal with diesel related pollution.

The Dpf and egr type things in diesels are ticking time bombs.

gatvol said:
With the Cali, you are stuck with diesel. But for your other cars, personally, I would stick to petrol. Petrol is so much cleaner and the petrol engines are getting very efficient now. Second hand petrol cars tend to be much cheaper than second hand diesels.

There was talk of reducing speeds on the m1 between Nottingham and Sheffield to deal with diesel related pollution.

The Dpf and egr type things in diesels are ticking time bombs.
Agree with you about buying petrol engines for definite - they're getting so efficient now they're making diesel engines redundant. Certainly in our case with the tiny mileages we're doing in the cali and car there's no point having diesel.
I'll be interested to see with the T6 whether they introduce the smaller capacity TSI petrol engines.
As you say dpm filters and egr valves are very expensive repairs waiting to happen

Recently changed the car from diesel (335d) to petrol (M135i); while the diesel was great, the petrol knocks spots off it.

I'm finding myself getting more and more anti diesel; sound grim, loads more stuff goes wrong, can't rev them, rubbish for short trips. They also emit a lot of nasty pollutants.

KernowLad said:
Recently changed the car from diesel (335d) to petrol (M135i); while the diesel was great, the petrol knocks spots off it.

I'm finding myself getting more and more anti diesel; sound grim, loads more stuff goes wrong, can't rev them, rubbish for short trips. They also emit a lot of nasty pollutants.

Selling the van then?? :laugh2

Stu said:
KernowLad said:

Selling the van then?? :laugh2

No choice but a van isn't really for fun driving; it's just a white goods engine that works okay.