The end of wild camping in Portugal

Romke

Making the Most of our Coast
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Coast 150 4Motion
From an article in the Portuguese press:

Motorhomes: parking and staying overnight is only allowed in specific areas
The Portuguese Government has approved amendments to the Highway Code that clarify the places where motorhomes can stay overnight. From now on staying overnight is only allowed in areas designated for this purpose, which excludes all other areas. The practice of camping or caravanning outside these areas, as well as any form of overnight stay, is an environmental offense and punishable by a fine between 200 and 36,000 euros.

I'm not sure how many forum members are affected by this but for us this makes holidaying in Portugal a lot less interesting. Since we live in France Portugal is only a short drive from home, and we've spent several Cali holidays there. We are typical "wild campers" and only stay on campsites when we need a showers and a clothes wash. It looks like we're now having to limit ourselves to Spain - until the laws change there as well!

Some pictures of our recent trip to Portugal:
port1.jpg
port2.jpg

I can’t believe you’d have a problem in those wild camping areas unless there’s a whole lot more vans around?

I can’t believe you’d have a problem in those wild camping areas unless there’s a whole lot more vans around?
Well, if it's the law and it costs you 200 euros if you get caught I'd rather be safe than sorry.

It was already illegal in Portugal, just rarely enforced. I’m not sure what this law changes. Away from the coast and national parks I very much doubt it will be enforced.

Im not a pedantic person but ....... doesnt the Portugal Law state "motorhomes" & correct me if im wrong isnt the Cali a campervan ?!

Im not a pedantic person but ....... doesnt the Portugal Law state "motorhomes" & correct me if im wrong isnt the Cali a campervan ?!
Makes no difference. It's the overnighting in non-designated areas that counts. The law doesn't mention "motorhomes"; the article quoted in the post does.

It was already illegal in Portugal, just rarely enforced. I’m not sure what this law changes. Away from the coast and national parks I very much doubt it will be enforced.
This law change dates from 27 November this year. Feel free to be in doubt about enforcement; the fine is on you.

Each enforcement agency uses its own definition.

Swanage parking enforcement define the Cali as a van.
Channel crossing bookings effectively treat anything with the potential of a plumbed-in gas bottle and bed as a non-car.
DVLA have a very muddled idea as to what different varieties and ages of Calis are.
Who knows how Portuguese enforcement agents will define a motorhome?

The idea that you’re going to be successful in arguing with a Portuguese enforcement agency that your definition of what a Cali is is correct seems optimistic at best.

A 200 euro fine is one thing. Any fine that can escalate to 36,000 euros is another. Good luck with that one.

This law change dates from 27 November this year. Feel free to be in doubt about enforcement; the fine is on you.
I appreciate that. It’s seems to be an update of the Highway Code and is simply clarification of existing law. It has always been illegal to wild camp in Portugal. Nothing has changed in practical terms with the introduction of this new law as far as I can tell.
They only enforced it in the high season on the Algarve and at beaches and in national parks.

Some campers assume they have a right to stop and camp anywhere they like..Don’t forget the land you are thinking of camping on belongs to someone whether a farmer or local authority...Northern Portugal and Spain was completely devastated with fires a number of years back, at the time we used to go on a bike and the thought of being caught in the middle of that really worried me..People have to accept the days of a free campsite apart from Aires are over. If you can afford £65k for a Campervan then a few euros for a campsite will hardly brake the bank.

People have to accept the days of a free campsite apart from Aires are over. If you can afford £65k for a Campervan then a few euros for a campsite will hardly brake the bank.
Wild camping is not about saving money. It's about being one with nature and being as far away from "civilization" as we know it. Nothing beats waking up in the morning without screaming kids and barking dogs.

Some people think they have the right to impose their narrow and self serving point view on everybody else. Just ignore those people.
If you are leaving no trace, you are not part of the problem, and can feel free to ignore any rules aimed at those that do, and you can sleep well in nature.

Wild camping is not about saving money. It's about being one with nature and being as far away from "civilization" as we know it. Nothing beats waking up in the morning without screaming kids and barking dogs.
But now most countries in Europe say NON to wild camping so people will have to revise the way they camp and also respect the host countries laws. There are plenty of campsites that don’t have screaming Kids and barking dogs..

Wild camping is still completely legal in many countries in Europe. It is actively promoted in Nordic countries. In many of those that it is not legal it is informally tolerated. Nobody needs to revise anything.

Or you could buy a nice boat for £65k. They say it can be very quiet and no buis
Wild camping is still completely legal in many countries in Europe. It is actively promoted in Nordic countries. In many of those that it is not legal it is informally tolerated. Nobody needs to revise anything.
There you go then..Head off to Norway....

Or you could buy a nice boat for £65k. They say it can be very quiet and no buis

There you go then..Head off to Norway....
I have been wildcamping for a few months in both Norway (legally) and Portugal (illegally) and loved both with no hassle in either. The only difference was the weather, the price of food, and the scenery.

Flip from wild camping to stealth camping and just carry on...or soon life will be a camp site, ugh...

Some people think they have the right to impose their narrow and self serving point view on everybody else. Just ignore those people.
If you are leaving no trace, you are not part of the problem, and can feel free to ignore any rules aimed at those that do, and you can sleep well in nature.
I think that falls into the Anarchy category.

Sometimes it's better to choose the anarchic route than to let them treat us like sheep.

Back