Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Future!

A

andrew bazeley

VIP Member
I'm getting really worried about what sort of a future my beloved 2008 Cali has. With increasing restrictions on where diesels can drive, it's future viability and value are really in question. Mine is actually worth more now than I paid for it at the moment , but I suspect that that's all going to change very rapidly, as no-one will want to buy it. Can you change the engine?

In theory but it would need the electronics and emission system and then testing for a Euro 6xx reclassification. Viability ?????

Last edited:
I'm getting really worried about what sort of a future my beloved 2008 Cali has. With increasing restrictions on where diesels can drive, it's future viability and value are really in question. Mine is actually worth more now than I paid for it at the moment , but I suspect that that's all going to change very rapidly, as no-one will want to buy it. Can you change the engine?
I think you’re worrying about nothing ?
Use it enjoy it and if you’re not able to drive into a certain city put your bike in the back and continue your journey or jump on the bus....if it’s a cali se it’s a 2.5 5pot engine one of the best vw transporter engine’s made...I would rather have that than the 2.0 any day

A German company called baumot has developed a retrofit system to take older engines to euro 6 and it has been used successfully on bus & trucks where replacement cost of the vehicle is high.
I believe German government is working with them on certification process but as yet not supported by UK government / car industry both of whom have strong vested interest in new vehicle sales / scrappage scheme.
Recertification is the main problem as even if you changed the engine your V5 would not change and you would still be excluded / charged by LEZ's based on the V5

As long as you want it, don't worry about if anyone else wants it. Keep it until she's dies and then use it as a retro garden office :). Honestly, don't worry. Diesel is here for a long LONG time yet! Every day you worry, is a day your not enjoying your Cali ;-)

I would have bought an electric Cali this year. I have had an electric car for 5 years now and buying a diesel in 2019 broke my heart a little.

but the reality is there isn’t any alternative. The Buzz won’t be able to handle the weight of all the fittings.

I’m content with my investment, I’m sure it will keep its value. Staycations will be more popular as flying becomes more expensive/less acceptable (fingers crossed)

Can you change the engine?
I expect that it would be possible.

If you've got enough to cover it you could even go fully electric.

This was pretty cool too:

Is it worth it though? It's not just the component costs, but labour costs are really high too. (They are in the UK anyway, your signature doesn't specify your location)

Unless your van has serious sentimental value and you want to keep it I'd leave it well alone.

I think you’re worrying about nothing ?
Use it enjoy it and if you’re not able to drive into a certain city put your bike in the back and continue your journey or jump on the bus....if it’s a cali se it’s a 2.5 5pot engine one of the best vw transporter engine’s made...I would rather have that than the 2.0 any day
Vast majority of engine problems on all Transporter and Transporter based vehicles that come up on various Forums appears to be the emission system related rather than the actual base engine.
2.5 emissions were put in the same taxation class as 'Chelsea Tractors' so hardly in the best category.:Nailbiting

Vast majority of engine problems on all Transporter and Transporter based vehicles that come up on various Forums appears to be the emission system related rather than the actual base engine.
2.5 emissions were put in the same taxation class as 'Chelsea Tractors' so hardly in the best category.:Nailbiting
Really
So what’s the annual tax on a pre 10plate 2.5 tdi. Cali compared to a 2010-on 2.0 tdi?

Fond memories of my 2008 5pot cali probably my favourite out of all my California’s up to now

Really
So what’s the annual tax on a pre 10plate 2.5 tdi. Cali compared to a 2010-on 2.0 tdi?

Fond memories of my 2008 5pot cali probably my favourite out of all my California’s up to now
Why are you comparing pre 2010 to post 2010 models?

Are you comparing best as in the drive and performance or best as in ones that comply to current environmentally acceptable levels of pollution?

Why are you comparing pre 2010 to post 2010 models?

Are you comparing best as in the drive and performance or best as in ones that comply to current environmentally acceptable levels of pollution?
I was asking you about the 2.5 being in the Chelsea tractor category ?
I said is it more to tax than the current 2.0 cali??
I’m not comparing anything im sayin the 2.5 was my favourite engine plenty grunt

Last edited:
I was asking you about the 2.5 being in the Chelsea tractor category ?
I said is it more to tax than the current 2.0 cali??
I’m not comparing anything im sayin the 2.5 was my favourite engine plenty grunt
As I understand it the later 2.5's emission level put them in the same tax, VED, rate as vehicles such as Range Rovers. Currently £555.
2.0ltr's have variable rates linked to output PS (bhp) until a link to Showroom Cost was made plus the latest change to how the emission levels get calculated.

Seems sad that older torquey diesel engines that were low revving got killed off as they were uneconomic to fit emission controls to. Rev like petrol ones now.

Seems sad that older torquey diesel engines that were low revving got killed off as they were uneconomic to fit emission controls to. Rev like petrol ones now.
Just the idea of revving my 2.0 like a petrol hurts every fiber in my body.

As I understand it the later 2.5's emission level put them in the same tax, VED, rate as vehicles such as Range Rovers. Currently £555.
My 06 plate 2.5l 130hp Cali (with BNZ engine code, inc the dpf) costs £265 to tax for 12 months. I believe that spec of engine ran up to being replaced in 2010 by the 5.1 with the 4 cyl engine.

Maybe when it was fitted to cars it was a tax monster, but not when fitted to 'motorhomes'.

My 06 plate 2.5l 130hp Cali (with BNZ engine code, inc the dpf) costs £265 to tax for 12 months. I believe that spec of engine ran up to being replaced in 2010 by the 5.1 with the 4 cyl engine.

Maybe when it was fitted to cars it was a tax monster, but not when fitted to 'motorhomes'.
Not so long ago there was someone on here saying how he got caught out by the high tax on a 2.5 Cali that he'd just purchased. Seen the same on the T5 Forums.
reading the GOV info it might have been a converted van not a Cali?

VehicleVOLKSWAGEN C.V. Transporter Window Van SWB/LWB Low Roof 2007 Model Year 2.5 TDI PD 130PS T30 Tiptronic with DPF, A612 month cost£555.00
Monthly cost: £48.56 – total: £582.756 month cost£305.25
or £291.38 if renewing automatically by Direct DebitDate of first registration3/2009

Yes, in the end all diesel vehicles have had it - but it's the same for almost every vehicle currently out there, and it will likely have rusted away or be completely worn out before you're "no longer allowed to drive it". I think gradually IC vehicles will go the same way horses have - ubiquitous and invaluable to us all at one time (with all the necessary support infrastructure available everywhere) to becoming a niche hobbyist pastime for well-heeled enthusiasts to take out for a ride on Sundays whilst annoying everyone else.

I bought my California with a view to keeping it 10-years & as it comes up to it's 4th birthday I'm hopeful there may be an alternative to replace it with - it'll still be worth more in 2025 than the equivalent Audi Q5 diesel that was the same price at the time.

Honestly don't worry about it. I've just bought a Samsung S10 note "Samsung's 'best' phone, but I know in 5 years it will be on the car boot for 50p, in fact next year it will be 'old' and the Samsung s11 will be the 'best' phone they have ever made, sigh :rage. Enjoy your Cali, and if cities ban us, we'll enjoy the villages, towns and country side instead. ;-) "Worrying is like walking round with an umbrella on a sunny day waiting for it to rain"

Honestly don't worry about it. I've just bought a Samsung S10 note "Samsung's 'best' phone, but I know in 5 years it will be on the car boot for 50p, in fact next year it will be 'old' and the Samsung s11 will be the 'best' phone they have ever made, sigh :rage. Enjoy your Cali, and if cities ban us, we'll enjoy the villages, towns and country side instead. ;-) "Worrying is like walking round with an umbrella on a sunny day waiting for it to rain"
Well put :)

S10 eh! I've got a Samsung S5 so it's only half as good as yours.

It's been invaluable though. I bought it in 2015 with £30 credit after Mrs B said I needed a telephonic device for emergencies. I'm still using that credit and have only made about ten calls to date. Most of those was to see if it still worked. As for emergencies, well there's a small problem there. Should an emergency actually occur, I doubt if I could remember where I last left the phone. :oops:

As for the Cali, I always know where that is and to the OP, it will still be just as useful in the future as it is now. So don't worry about it. Just enjoy it.

I bought my T4 syncro 18 years ago. Obviously it was still new then, but over the years (and 180000 miles later) it has got much tattier with many dents and scrapes.
I then bought the Cali Beach with the intention of replacing the T4, but I still have both. I couldn’t do without the T4 for humping stuff about, carting muddy dogs to the woods etc.
One day the T4 will finally die and then the Beach will have to take over. By then I will probably have an eco car with the Beach as a backup work horse.

I must admit I worry about the long term ownership of my Cali. We bought it August this year something we have always wanted and being in our mid 60's thought we cannot wait for an EV Cali to be made so took the plunge. It's an awful lot of money we have paid and we think the high residual values that the Cali has always given owners will disappear in the future.

I must admit I worry about the long term ownership of my Cali. We bought it August this year something we have always wanted and being in our mid 60's thought we cannot wait for an EV Cali to be made so took the plunge. It's an awful lot of money we have paid and we think the high residual values that the Cali has always given owners will disappear in the future.
Go off and enjoy it for the next 20yrs why worry ? What’s stopping you !

Back