Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Future!

Sad that there seems to be so much negativity caused by a whirlwind change in approach to environmental issues. Pollution has to be tackled but responsibly. Not rushed but considered and well thought out. As for your California use it sensibly and enjoy your life. The only definite things in this life are death and taxes so enjoy your time while you can. :thumb

Yeah - I know, everybody - I just have to enjoy it while I can. I think I'm particularly sensitive because the 2 cities nearest to me are shortly to apply congestion zones.I use my Cali as much for nipping about as for camping and gigs, so things will just have to change a bit, and I'll have to use my wife's very-low-down Golf a lot more. Shame, because I just love driving the Cali! I have to applaud the reasons for all this, of course, and must act responsibly Thanks for all the nice responses..

Yes... definitely internal combustion engines will go the way of steam engines and rightly so. But there will be a long transition; one that we are just beginning. I wouldn’t worry about it. I find people get so defensive about environmental issues - remember the hostile early reactions to wind turbines? The same turbines providing lots of our electricity these days... and a good thing too. City diesel bans? Embrace them! We know way more about local air pollution now; I’m absolutely fine about reducing diesel vehicles in cities and will just adapt accordingly. So, we can only buy/use what’s on the market and try to use that responsibly. Brand new vehicles will change but existing ones will retain value ad bs usefulness until they fall to pieces. So, I’d say enjoy the Cali and support environmental change as it happens. Personally I think the bigger threat to personal vehicle use will be congestion/space and the currently quiet areas of the world getting more crowded and just not fun...

Yes... definitely internal combustion engines will go the way of steam engines and rightly so. But there will be a long transition; one that we are just beginning. I wouldn’t worry about it. I find people get so defensive about environmental issues - remember the hostile early reactions to wind turbines? The same turbines providing lots of our electricity these days... and a good thing too. City diesel bans? Embrace them! We know way more about local air pollution now; I’m absolutely fine about reducing diesel vehicles in cities and will just adapt accordingly. So, we can only buy/use what’s on the market and try to use that responsibly. Brand new vehicles will change but existing ones will retain value ad bs usefulness until they fall to pieces. So, I’d say enjoy the Cali and support environmental change as it happens. Personally I think the bigger threat to personal vehicle use will be congestion/space and the currently quiet areas of the world getting more crowded and just not fun...
Yep - go along with all that. Interesting comment about wind turbines. I live in Wiltshire, and about 8 years ago the local council announced that they would definitely NOT agree any applications for wind turbines. I challenged them on it recently, and all they said was that they might now "consider individual applications".

Yep - go along with all that. Interesting comment about wind turbines. I live in Wiltshire, and about 8 years ago the local council announced that they would definitely NOT agree any applications for wind turbines. I challenged them on it recently, and all they said was that they might now "consider individual applications".
There were two large wind generators (These things are erroneously called turbines for some reason) adjacent to a camp site we stayed in near Lowestoft last June .
On the windless day we arrived they were turning slowly under electric power to ensure the bearing were kept in optimum condition, delightfully quite.
The next night it blew force 6 to 7, the blades made a loud pulsating noise when they turned, presumably at maximum speed, the sound was vile.
I am sure your neighbours will be thrilled to enjoy such an enhancement to their lives when they are installed locally.

Sorry - shouldn't have raised it. There are probably better platforms for a debate on wind generators.

I see members often refer to their Cali as an investment...?
If you look at it like that, your probably buying it for all the wrong reasons.

Nothing wrong with looking at the financial side of things.
If you buy and sell at the right time you might be driving your California for free.

To the original poster, it's only you who decides whether you sell or not.
I recently sold my 2014 T5 for many reasons, see my recent post here.
I could be buying a recent T6 again next season. Or not. We'll see.

I had the same Split bus for 34 years and it's still going strong with its new owner
doubt my Cali will be around in 30 years ...but then again nor will I ( unless I am having a special card from HRH shown me whilst I dribble into my bib...)

Good afternoon,

I share the concerns about the value of the California Camper Van. But not only that, also the cost of ownership in general.

Even though it is a product that should be used for pleasure it still represents a very high value, more than the average car or van.

Also, at least in Ireland, we are blessed with special tax and decent cost for insurance. If the people in power decide to change this, I could end up with a very expensive vehicle to run - maybe more than I can afford. If it turns out that I have to sell it (even if my heart breaks) than I hope for a high value.

If the general hype continues, everything that has no batteries will lose value. Meaning that in my "old" days I have to accept that I just lost several 10k (a bit as the housing issue a few years ago).

All this does not stop me to enjoy the van, but who keeps the van until it falls apart with 300k or 400k?

Regards,
Eberhard

Back