soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Kennycalifornia
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Who’s moved to the Hymer club…?

First proper outing to Cornwall. I love this van, a true successor to the mighty California:cool:
IMG_3695.jpeg

My new Sven Hedin is due in a couple of weeks, I'm now starting to wonder if I've made the right choice after seeing that lovely van!

The Sven is a nice van. I’m sure you’ll love it :thumb

Said it before the Merc looks a mighty beast compared to crafter/man :thumb That colour blows away the dodgy baby blue Sven

What I like about your van over the Sven is the pop top, it keeps the camping feel alive and I love sleeping in the pop top.

Yep, it definitely retains the Campervan vibes.
I asked Westfalia about a future poptop on the Man Sven. They said it’s not happening anytime soon.
Shame really.
Although, same could be said for GC, a poptop version would sell like hot cakes…

Nice. Can you stand up in it without the pop?

Nice. Can you stand up in it without the pop?

Yes Will, it’s around 2m to the roof opening.
Here’s a pic and another of the Sprung roof bed. Makes for a comfortable nights sleep. No frozen shoulder…

IMG_3738.jpeg

IMG_3739.jpeg

IMG_3740.jpeg

Th
You forgot your surfboards?
Thrown inside for now.
Can’t decide between fitting a set of roof bars or trying to find something to attach to the side of the van.
Pricing up some rear locker boxes for wetsuits and laundry.

Loads of great kit out there for Sprinter customisation.
Goodbye saving…

Th

Thrown inside for now.
Can’t decide between fitting a set of roof bars or trying to find something to attach to the side of the van.

Goodbye saving…

Tactic Vans has some cool stuff for the Sprinter too:

Th

Thrown inside for now.

Goodbye saving…

I visited a local Hymer dealer who said they are unable to fit a roof rack to a popuproof and the warranty expires if you drill hoels in it.
On the other hand it won’t rust and can’t leak if you put the holes outside of the fabric which seems possible.

I like their magnetic stuff.
I wondered if they’re strong enough to hold a surfboard on the side of the van here.
I’m guessing probably no, but I am on the search for some sort of side rack.

IMG_3737.jpeg

Tactic Vans has some cool stuff for the Sprinter too:

Last edited:
I like their magnetic stuff.
I wondered if they were strong enough to hold a surfboard on the side of the van here.
I’m guessing probably no, but am on the search for some sort of side rack.

View attachment 123910

They will be strong enough. We have 2 of their awning feet magnets & made the mistake of sticking two of the magnets together…..took ages to prise them apart! (Ps - instructions say…never stick two of the magnets together!)

But think for a hymer, roof rack is better. Is there there much roof exposed underneath, outside of the canvas tent?

@kave & @Ch1pbutty some guys have fitted proper rack systems. Hymer wont do it, but the aftermarket guys will.
These two off Insta have racks.

A couple of guys on the Hymer Facebook group, have fitted rails and Thule aero bars.

IMG_3768.jpeg

IMG_3769.jpeg

IMG_3767.jpeg

How do you find the downstairs bed compared to the California? Is it a big problem that the bed is parallel?

@kave & @Ch1pbutty some guys have fitted proper rack systems. Hymer wont do it, but the aftermarket guys will.
These two off Insta have racks.

A couple of guys on the Hymer Facebook group, have fitted rails and Thule aero bars.

View attachment 123911

View attachment 123912

View attachment 123913

We fitted roof channels to our T4 using wellnuts & then mounted roof bars. The channel in the roof sat just outside of the canvas…so easy to see what you were drilling into.

But if the channel sits above/within the canvas, would be easy to just to glue the rail on with silkaflex with no holes in the roof.

How do you find the downstairs bed compared to the California? Is it a big problem that the bed is parallel?

I’m 5,11, it’s ok for me. If you’re over 6,1/2, I think you would need to try it for yourself.
If I’m honest, the boys sleep in the poptop. I only ever daytime nap downstairs.

Back